NHL Approves Rule Changes on Faceoffs, Icing

InsaneHABSfan

LINK

1) The first faceoff of a power play in the defending zone of the team that committed the foul.

2) "Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player."

3) If a puck is shot off the goal frame, goal post or crossbar, the subsequent faceoff will remain in the end zone where the puck went out of play.

There is more about goalie equipment.....

#2 is lame, races for icing aren't as exciting as the NHL makes them out to be. They just need to go all out and enforce No-Touch icing. I'm pretty sure they use it in juniors and I know it's used internationally so it should be good enough for the NHL.

2) "Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player."

Could be assessed...I fail to see the rule change in this. Seems like another definition of interference, which is already a penalty.

I like the idea of the faceoffs starting in the attacking zone, although that'll only impact 4 or 5 faceoffs per game. A small tweak, fortunately nothing more.

(Yee haw, 1,000 posts...only took just over 5 years...)