Buyout Question

Fanpuck33

Ok, numerous people, including myself, were under the impression buyouts could only happen during a certain window that had already passed. But according to this report, http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=244191&lid...s=headlines_nhl , the Bruins will be buying out Glen Murray. What's the deal?

If a team has a player go to arbitration then they have a short period of time after the arbitration decision (1 week I believe) during which they may buy out a few players (I think the max is 3).

Edited by Peter Puck

That's what I thought as well, but after some reasearch, there seems to be a second 48-hour buyout period for teams that have had at least two arbitration cases.

11.18 Clubs shall have the right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13©(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement pursuant to Paragraph 13©(ii) of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs. No Club shall exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-out outside the regular period for any Player earning less than $1 million.

From what I can tell, Wideman was the only Bruin to file for arbitration, and he didn't even end up having his hearing as he signed a multi-year deal.

I concur. Only Minnesota and Washington had 2 players go to arbitration. I'm still confused how Murray applies.