Sweden - Germany

ch_nl

World Cup has started and two games allready played.

Tonight Sweden beat Germany by 5-2.

ALL. And I really mean ALL Swedish players played well. All lines where working perfect.

Per-Johan Axelsson got injuried, no further information.

Tommy Salo allowed two goals in Swedens powerplay. On the first one Kim Johnsson lost the puckt to Marco Sturm on offensive blue-line.

On the second Tommy Salo had a Belarus deja-vu. And what's even worse. He did it twice. In the ending of the third period he did it again. Germany scored but the german player had scored with his hand.

I saw 3 individual misstakes. One by Ragnarsson and two by Salo. Goaltendign is Swedens weakest link.

Sweden also played very physical.

Sweden goals by:

Tomas Holmström (Näslund/Forsberg)

Mats Sundin (Alfredsson/Modin)

Kim Johnsson (Alfredsson/Modin)

Marcus Nilsson (Sundin(Holmström)

Fredrik Modin (Sundin/Johnsson)

Kim Johnsson is a liability on the offensive blue line. He lost the puck twice to give the Germans two breakaways, and they scored on one of them.

Salo, Salo, Salo... Man, that was one Salt Lake City flashback we did not need. Tommy Salo will be the death of me. :o

I thought Sweden too played a decent overall game, but keep in mind, it was just the Germans here. One thing the Swedes have to be careful about is crashing the net, they had 3 goalie interference penalties, 1 could prove to be fatal later on.

Salo had a shaky game, although I somewhat don't blame him. At times, he went 5 minutes without facing a shot, let alone barely moving from his crease. Also, I believe it was his first game in Sweden since the infamous Belarus game in 2002, so his nerves were probably quite high as well. That being said, the 2nd goal was unacceptable though, and the "3rd goal" he got lucky when Ludemann gloved it in. I expect Tellqvist to be in tomorrow vs the Czechs.

I'm really pulling for Sweden, but they need to re-assess their goaltender situation. I would look for Tellqvist to start next game. To be honest, I'm not too sure why Salo was the starter today. That second goal was brutal and he just looked sluggish in general all game.
Not entirely true. There was a practice game before the World Championships last season (2002/03), Salo played in goal, and the crowd cheered for him as much as they ever have. Felt more like they wanted to show they had forgiven him for the Salt Lake blunder.

Add: The TV commentators said the plan was to play Salo tonight and Tellqvist tomorrow, regardless. Since it's back-to-back games (today and tomorrow) they want to go with the goalie who is rested.

[Edited on 2004/8/31 by Doktor Kosmos]

I don't think you can blame Kim Johnsson to much. Sometime things like that happens.

And about crashing the net, two of the times when Sweden got interference penalties they where pushed into the goalie.