What if...

TheAussiePosse

Imagine if, after this World Cup, Koivu convinced Selanne to come to Montreal. Not at $5 million a season, but perhaps $2 million. Also, not instead of Kovalev.

A first line of Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev would be awesome!

I've been thinking about that line for the past few days now. While not a probability, it is still a possibility.

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Higgins-Begin-Ward

*drools*

Although Saku probably has mentioned it [even if joking about it] I think Selanne is still too money oriented to consider a $2M contract. no matter who he plays with.

I would love it, but I'd be better off buying a lottery ticket; better odds of it winning then Teemu coming to the habs.

Could you imagine the PowerPlay units we could ice though? :guru:

[Edited on 2004/9/5 by Habitforming]

Originally posted by Habitforming

Although Saku probably has mentioned it [even if joking about it] I think Selanne is still too money oriented to consider a $2M contract. no matter who he plays with.

I would love it, but I'd be better off buying a lottery ticket; better odds of it winning then Teemu coming to the habs.

Could you imagine the PowerPlay units we could ice though? :guru:

[Edited on 2004/9/5 by Habitforming]

I'll have to go check but I thought selanne accepted a really low amount of money in his last contract. I remember him playing for peanuts just so he could play for a contender. I don't think the Avs will offer him much after last season.

I could be thinking of the wrong guy, I'm going to check it out.

If it did happen though, that line would be awesome. I think we are closer to serious contenders than most people would give us credit for.

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

I'll have to go check but I thought selanne accepted a really low amount of money in his last contract. I remember him playing for peanuts just so he could play for a contender. I don't think the Avs will offer him much after last season.

I could be thinking of the wrong guy, I'm going to check it out.

Maybe you were thinking of Kariya?

In any case, with that first line the second and third lines also fall nicely into place, don't they? Well, we can dream...

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

*Alarm Sounds*...

Time to wake up everyone!

There might not even be a season.... WHYYYYYYY, How are we going to live?

lol... anywayz...

It would be a great line up, very scary team when u think about it, and it would certainly make us instant 'contenders'... well that is if everyone plays to par :D

I'll bet Selanne can be had for $2 to $3 mill this season. & I'll also bet, he would be easily convinced to join Koivu in Montreal. Infact, I'm getting extremely tired of the Kovalev's game, so screw him & make a pitch to Teemu instead. If Montreal was one of Kovalev's 1st choices, I see no reason why the deal isn't already done. Right now I would say the odds on him returning are 20% to 30% at best.

selanne received 5.8 mil last year, a small downgrade from his previous year's salary of 6.5, but a far cry from the year before that - 9.5 mil. Selanne will have a serious problem getting anything over 3 mil (max) because of his meltdown last season. I'm always a little concerned over accepting possibly damaged goods, but he does seem to be playing well with saku and he definitely has the talent.

Getting him to sign in the 2-3 mil range is really not that hard and if selanne's smart, he knows he absolutely needs to perform this year if he wants to earn anything like the salary he has earned before. He might be concerned that the defensive posture of the Julien canadiens would limit his scoring, but I have a feeling a selanne - koivu - kovalev line would probably do well enough to give him his shot.

Selanne will have a serious problem getting anything over 3 mil (max) because of his meltdown last season.
Getting him to sign in the 2-3 mil range is really not that hard
I'm not convinced. There will always be someone like the Rangers or the Blues to offer him what he's used to getting. Him having a bad season last year makes little difference in those regards, I'm sure.

EDIT: Besides, both Kovy and Selänne are right wingers. Who'd play left wing?

[Edited on 2004/9/5 by Doktor Kosmos]

Screw Kovalev, the offer is, what it is & there is no need to sweeten the pot to lure him here. Bring in Selanne, let him play RW with Koivu & give Hossa or Ward{if you want a guy to play in front of the net for the two Finns} a shot at the LW.

Funny seeing this thread as I've been thinking how sweet it would be if this was to happen. Good to see like minded fans. I think I would break down and weep openly if the Habs were to sign both, be it as far fetched at it seems. Possible...but far fetched. Man if we could add Chelios too...also Oates and Nedved will be available I think.How about Numminum too, 3 Finns. lol Lots available to fill the few spots we have. Need not worry. Go Bob Go

Screw Kovalev, the offer is, what it is & there is no need to sweeten the pot to lure him here.

Screw Kovalev?

The guy carried the Habs in the playoffs. He's one of the deadliest players in the game.

My first "dream choice" this year would have been to get Recchi. Only then would not signing Kovalev be worth it.

Kovalev is a superstar player, he has the right to play the market. Before the Rangers, he scored 27 goals.

If the Habs want a superstar, they'll have to pay up.

Selanne coming to Montreal would be good and bad. It would take away a spot that could be used to bring up some young talent from Hamilton.

Hossa.. Plekanec.. Perezhozin (if he's allowed)

And so on..

Still though, wouldn't that be a sweet gift?