Dagenais speaks out

simonus

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1914878

What do y'all think about this? I was surprised to hear dagenais actually went to a player meeting (his first). It's kinda funny how the lesser lights of the NHL have been making 90% of the statements... commodore, bouwmeister (sp?), Rob Ray and Dagenais? I mean... wouldnt have guessed that. I wonder what dags' fellow habs have to say about his comments.

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by sakiqc]

Slowly, one by one, two by two, three by three, will start criticizing the NHLPA, until the only remaining loyal members are the senior NHLPA members. When they realize that it is not them that have the power, and they are losing money (when they come to their senses), they will break. Simple as that.

A salary cap should be put in place. The NHL gets less attention and money than the NFL, yet the NFL has a salary cap. It makes things better. If the players are too dumb to realize this, they can continue making less in Europe.

The owners have the money, the owners play the players. They locked out.

St. Louis Blues defenseman Chris Pronger said he's waiting for the league to make the next proposal.

"We're still waiting for a response. I'll wait two years if they don't want to give a response," he said.

Goody! So, I guess you'll be retiring in Europe?

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Dalhabs

I wouldnt mind the NHLers to stay in Sweden.

Its just fair that we europeans can go see the best hockeyplayers in the world without having to pay a flight for 1000$.

I wouldnt call that fair.

Us North American fans have been spoiled by having the best players play on our teams, we're used to having the best... And we wont accept anything else.

The players go where the money is. And when the lockout is over the big money will be in the NHL again...

But hey, enjoy it while you can... Maybe one day a Euro city will get an NHL team and you'll be able to watch these guys on a regular basis again... who knows.

[Edited on 2004-12-3 by puck7x]

Hmmm...

I agree with Dalhab. Sure the big money is North America, but right now. There's no money at all.

The NHL is popular in Europe because of all the european stars. NBA and NFL don't have that. Sure they have some europeans but stars?

Sweden has enjoyed americans fans with Forsberg, Sundin and Lidström for a decade. Why wouldn't it be fair if we could see them play for just a year?

Originally posted by ch_nl

Hmmm...

I agree with Dalhab. Sure the big money is North America, but right now. There's no money at all.

The NHL is popular in Europe because of all the european stars. NBA and NFL don't have that. Sure they have some europeans but stars?

Sweden has enjoyed americans fans with Forsberg, Sundin and Lidström for a decade. Why wouldn't it be fair if we could see them play for just a year?

Still not fair, like I said... North Americans have been used to watching the top superstars in hockey play each year in the NHL. We wont accept anything less.

I guess its impossible for it to be fair to both sides of this debate.

Its alright for one year... just give them back :D

So if you're used to have the best, then it should stay that way forever?

Come on, puck, I know you're not that dumb. I can understand that all the fans want the NHL back. I do too, but many, many good NHL-players are born and developed in Europe. We lose them in the draft when they're 18 and as soon as they start to play at a high level they're off to NHL. The money? Sure, but I think that another reason is that all profesianl hockeyplayers wants to play with the best. And that's the NHL.

Imagine if it was the other way around. That all Canadians players went to Russia and that you would only be able to see your heroes while they're young and on TV?

It is not fair. But it is the way it works. That's why I have a favourite team in Canada but you don't have a favourite team in Sweden. I don't think many Canadiens can't name the teams in the Swedish Elitserien.

And I do think that NHL have to accept rather soon that not all hockeyplayers will play in the NHL. The american economics will soon have to deal with their problem. That may have some effect. And Europes economical situation is getting better and better. Maybe a big European leauge is the future. Right now Europe have the players, but not the money.

It is not fair. But it is the way it works. That's why I have a favourite team in Canada but you don't have a favourite team in Sweden. I don't think many Canadiens can't name the teams in the Swedish Elitserien.

And I do think that NHL have to accept rather soon that not all hockeyplayers will play in the NHL. The american economics will soon have to deal with their problem. That may have some effect. And Europes economical situation is getting better and better. Maybe a big European leauge is the future. Right now Europe have the players, but not the money.

Its not about being unfair, its just reality. The players play where the competition and money is at its best, the NHL. And I dont see this changing anytime soon...

Maybe I'm bitter about the lockout, or maybe I'm just trying to prepare you Europeans for the eventually of losing your players back to the NHL. The NHL will always be the dominant hockey league in the world, the money is in North American and so are the big arenas and high ticket prices until European teams start building every arena with a 18,000+ seating capacity and increase the ticket prices then they wont be able to compete.

Preparation for losing the best...

Yes, we will need it. Hockey in Europe will soon have a huge hangover.

But I do think that NHL has seen it's best days. More and more players are chosing Europe.´

NHL would have been a better leauge if Oleg Tverdovsky and Jörgen Jönsson played. I know they're not stars but I think that it may be a start.

You say that all the big names and arenas are in NA.

You are right at the moment. But since Europe can pay our soccerstars ALOT more than any NHL-player earns I bet that if hockey got more popular in countries like France, Germany and England we could start a League that could be better than the NHL for the european stars.

Yes I know all canadian hockeyplayers dream is to win the Stanley cup but the other players?

But until that time comes I'd love to see the NHL start again.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

You say that all the big names and arenas are in NA.

You are right at the moment. But since Europe can pay our soccerstars ALOT more than any NHL-player earns I bet that if hockey got more popular in countries like France, Germany and England we could start a League that could be better than the NHL for the european stars.

Yes I know all canadian hockeyplayers dream is to win the Stanley cup but the other players?

But until that time comes I'd love to see the NHL start again.

Euro soccer and NA pro hockey are not comparable at all... First of all, football (soccer) stadiums are huge, they have capacities above 60k in most cases (although they play less games then the NHL) ... Second of all the whole system of player movement is different over there, you've got transfers instead of trades.

I just dont see it ever happening... At best I see a few Euro teams joining the NHL (maybe a euro division).

I don't know if I agree with Dalhab but I don't share Pucks opinion either.

Puck, I hope you do realize that you're an american?

The system may be different but european hockey doesn't have trades. We have the sama system that soccer has.

The main reason why we don't build enormous arenas is that we don't have the same amount of big cities. The second reason is that hockey has competition. Soccer, handball and a sports called Bandy, a lot like soccer on ice.

20 years ago the NHL was dominated by players from the US and Canada. Today? A whole different story. Imagine if someone would have said during the 70's that the All-star game should have been played with the North American - Rest of the World concept?

Today Europe is far far away from getting a leuge that would compete with the NHL, but don't expect it to be that way forever.

European Hockey is like the CFL for Canada. We enjoy watching the less talented players, but in the end we know that the best players will always play in the NFL. I love the CFL, you guys should enjoy the Euro leagues, even if they aren't the best players. I have dreams of the NFL moving to a Canadian city, and like puck said, maybe one day the NHL will come to Europe also.

That's another Canadian statement.

Canada doesn't have the players to compete with the NFL.

Europe has has hockeyplayers to compete with the NHL.

If the NHL have the same view as you have it will one day be it's fall.

Like I said, Europe is still far away from getting a hockeyleauge good as the NHL but don't underestimate the hockey in Europe.

Puck, I hope you do realize that you're an american?  

I know this wasn't directed at me, but if you want to be technical about it, puck is North American. If you're going to be picky about labels, American would refer to Canada, US, and Mexico only if the continent was simply America. As it stands, American only refers to the USA.

Maybe we have gone offtopic a bit... And before I drop it I just want to ask one more thing.

An American is a person living in the US. An Nort American is a person living in the US, Canada or Mexico. What is person called who lives in northern US or Canada? A North North American?

I'll try to be more correct the next time.

Maybe that's the easiest way of putting it...

But dont you as an Ohio native feel that you have more in common with people in southern Canada than your US fellows in Texas?