Yann Danis top Hab prospect at the moment

beckham

The 23 year old free agent is making an early run for All Star, All Rookie, and Rookie Of The Year nominations. Yann has followed up 3 superlative NCAA seasons and his Hobey Baker finalist senior season by performing even better at the pro level. You can't write his stats off to strong team defence alone, since his tandem partner, Dan Ellis, has a goals against average 2 goals per game higher.

To this point at least, his individual performance is more impressive than prospects Ron Hainsey, Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec, and Andrei Kostitsyn.

Goaltenders are a strange lot, and it never pays to spend a top draft pick on one. Danis numbers in the AHL this season are superior to at least a dozen former first round drafted goaltenders.

I agree with you on this one.

I am a big fan of Danis, he will make everyone forget about losing Garon, he is part of the reason we were able to trade Garon in the first place... Danis is going to have a very bright future imo.

Originally posted by beckham

Goaltenders are a strange lot, and it never pays to spend a top draft pick on one.

A bit of an overstatement I'd say. Ever heard of Roberto Luongo?

But isn't Hossa up there too this year? From what I hear, he's been tearing it up in Europe.

The 23 year old free agent is making an early run for All Star, All Rookie, and Rookie Of The Year nominations. Yann has followed up 3 superlative NCAA seasons and his Hobey Baker finalist senior season by performing even better at the pro level. You can't write his stats off to strong team defence alone, since his tandem partner, Dan Ellis, has a goals against average 2 goals per game higher.  

To this point at least, his individual performance is more impressive than prospects Ron Hainsey, Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec, and Andrei Kostitsyn.

Goaltenders are a strange lot, and it never pays to spend a top draft pick on one. Danis numbers in the AHL this season are superior to at least a dozen former first round drafted goaltenders.

I'd say Plekanec is right up there. Danis has been great in all 7 games from the sound of it, but Plekanec has also been great. He leads the team in goals, points, and shots, tied for team lead in PPG, GWG's, 2nd in assists.

Danis is 6-1, which is great, Plekanec has 11 pts in 12 games, which would be a career year for him if he continues the pace. I think both have been a major part of the teams success. Although I'm a very big Danis fan after watching him play at Brown.

Also Perezhogin is doing very well in the RSL, he's 2nd on the team in scoring based on amount of games played. He's done this while playing on the 3rd line. He also was named to the Russian Senior National team again (also played as a 19 year old)

Too bad all 3 Russian Habs are injured and won't play in the Euro Cup tomorrow, Markov, Perezhogin and Tarasov all injured. Markov's out a while, no word on Perezhogin or Tarasov.

Kostitsyn while 3rd on the team in goals and tied for first in +/-, shows he still has a long ways to go. I was at the game in philly and he had a bad game after getting a cheap shot by one of the philly scrubs. Hopefully he has something similiar to the 2nd half Perezhogin had last year.

Hainsey to me has been a bit of a disappointment. Yes he has 4 pts in 12 games, but 3 of those pts came in one game. I did notice he was more physical in the philly game but for a guy playing in his 4th season in the AHL, I'd expect him to be better, less turnovers at least.

Hossa seems to have found confidence in his shot, and has been successful getting goals which is great to see. But I haven't seen any of his games over there yet, so I can't say how good he's playing.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Goaltenders are a strange lot, and it never pays to spend a top draft pick on one.

A bit of an overstatement I'd say. Ever heard of Roberto Luongo?

But isn't Hossa up there too this year? From what I hear, he's been tearing it up in Europe.

Yeah, but for every Luongo, there is a Fichaud, Damphousse, Storr, Chouinard, Findley, Lajeunesse, Krahn, Desrochers, Pelletier, Leclaire, Munro, etc.

I think about the top 10 goalies in the AHL at the moment are late picks or free agents ahead of about 20 former first round picks.

As for Hossa, I think it was great for him to play in Europe where he could develop his scoring touch, but once he gets back to N.A. he faces the same difficulties.

Plekanec is scoring at about the same pace as he did a year ago, just under a point a game. No breakthrough there.

Danis could be a huge factor in Montreal, as a local kid with an Ivy League education who seems like a genuinely humble guy. Patrick Roy was a great netminder, but he was an idiot at times, and a jerk more often than not.

Yeah, but for every Luongo, there is a Fichaud, Damphousse, Storr, Chouinard, Findley, Lajeunesse, Krahn, Desrochers, Pelletier, Leclaire, Munro, etc.

I agree that a lot of goalies don't pan out as expected, but in a few of your cases, these guys are still developing. Leclaire has played well in Syracuse recently, as has Finley in Milwaukee. Krahn is getting a sniff every now and then in Calgary, while Desrochers should get the #2 spot in Florida after McLennan leaves (here's hoping for that too, he's a local boy). Sometimes it just takes a while for a goalie to develop, particularly Danis, who wasn't even drafted, that means he's gotten better as he matures.

At this point, I wouldn't trade Danis for Leclaire, Ouellet, or most of the other first round netminders playing in the AHL. Including Fleury, who I'm very skeptical about. Kari Lehtonen and Hannu Toivonen are the only two who are indisputably better prospects at the moment in my eyes.

Where is Olivier Michaud? What happened to him?

Yann Danis was great at the rookie tournamnet in pierrefonds this year! I hope he can progress and make it to the bigs -- what about Huet though, what's teh word on him? Decent goalie?

Originally posted by Habs13

Where is Olivier Michaud? What happened to him?

Yann Danis was great at the rookie tournamnet in pierrefonds this year! I hope he can progress and make it to the bigs -- what about Huet though, what's teh word on him? Decent goalie?

Michaud is 1-2 with Long Beach, has a gaa of around 3.00 and a save % around .900 He's on a bad team and to make it much much worse, his goalie partner is on fire, with 3 SO's in 6 games, an insane .99 gaa and a .973 save % while going 5-1.