Canadiens "draft" D Lavallee

dlbalr

Tonight was the season's finale of CBC's Making the Cut, where 6 players win NHL tryouts (1 per Canadian team). Tonight, the Habs selected Kevin Lavallee, a 6'3, 219 lb defencemen. He played 2 years in the 'Q', before turning pro in Germany at age 19.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=744

[Edited on 2004-12-30 by puck7x]

Originally posted by simonus

can anybody who has been watching the show give some info on this guy?  Is he worthwhile?

Scotty Bowman said that Lavalle was the best D in the camp ... but... Lavalle plays for a DEL team , but is a healthy scratch on a team that has Christian Laflamme.

[Edited on 2004-12-15 by puck7x]

Originally posted by habsfan88

Do you think he will play for the Bulldogs for now??

Nope, remember he is on a pro contract in the German League. I'm 99% sure he doesn't have an out-clause like the NHL'ers, as he said himself that he wasn't expecting to be drafted. Also, the Bulldogs have 7 d-men already, with Komisarek hurt, and Shasby in Long Beach, priority goes to the real prospects of the organization.

The more I read about Kevin, the more I think it was a good pick. There were very few players from the show available that are playing pro, and we got one. Add to that the fact that he turned pro at 19, and that his numbers in the German leagues are better than in the QMJHL, and we may actually have a useful player on our hands. My hope is that we give him a crack in Hamilton next season, but I wouldn't go much above that.