Swedish Elite League 2004/05 Final Standings

Doktor Kosmos

Tonight the last games of the regular season was played, and here is the final standings.

2004/05 final standings

Place.Team.................GP....Wins.....Ties....Losses....OTW....OTL....GS-GA....Points

1. Frölunda..................50.....33........9..........8..........4.......2......180-96.....112

2. Linköping.................50.....30........5........15..........2.......1......162-110.....97

3. Timrå......................50.....26......11........13..........4.......2......159-118.....93

4. Förjestad.................50.....26.......11........13.........3........1......137-108.....92

5. Djurgården...............50....23........7.........20.........2........2......131-135.....78

6. MoDo......................50.....21.......12........17.........2........5......143-139.....77

7. Luleå......................50.....19........6.........25.........1........2......152-161.....64

8. Södertälje................50.....16.......9.........25.........4........2......127-144.....61

- - - - -

9. Mora.......................50.....16.......10........24........3........4......151-172.....61

10. HV 71....................50.....15.......10........25........2........6......123-163.....57

- - - - -

11. Brynäs...................50.....12........9........29........2........2......123-182.....47

12. Malmö...................50.....10........7.........33.......2.........2......111-171.....39

Notes.

If two have the same amount of points, the tie breaker is the goal difference (goals scored minus goals against), i.e. not like the NHL where wins is the tie breaker. If both teams have the same goal difference, the team who has scored the most goals will place higher in the standings.

A win is worth 3 points and a tie is worth 1 point. If a game is tied after 60 minutes a 5 minute sudden death overtime will be played. If a team scores a winning goal during the overtime, they will recieve 2 points and the losing team will recieve 1 point. If the game is still tied after the 5 minute overtime period, teams will recieve 1 point each and the game will end in a tie.

- - - - -

Individual Scoring

Rank. Player........................TEAM........GP-G-A-P

1. Henrik Zetterberg............Timr..........50-19-31-50

2. Kristian Huselius..............Link..........34-14-35-49

3. Mattias Weinhandl............Modo.........50-26-20-46

4. Shawn Horcoff.................Mora.........50-19-27-46

5. Nils Ekman.....................Djur...........44-18-27-45

6. Brendan Morrison.............Link..........45-16-28-44

7. Niklas Andersson.............Fröl...........44-14-27-41

8. Mike Knuble....................Link...........49-26-13-39

9. Martin Plüss....................Fröl...........46-23-16-39

10. Marcus Nilson................Djur...........48-17-22-39

11. Peter Forsberg...............Modo.........33-13-26-39

12. Johan Davidsson............HV71..........50-12-26-38

13. Mikael Lind...................Bryn...........50-11-27-38

14. Tomi Kallio....................Fröl...........50-18-19-37

15. Daniel Cleary.................Mora..........47-11-26-37

- - - - -

Playoffs

There is a lottery to decide which teams will play each other. The 1st and 2n ranked team face either the 7th or the 8th placed teams. The 3rd and 4th placed teams play either the 5th or 6th placed teams. This is how the lottery turned out.

Frölunda (1) vs. Luleå (7)

Linköping (2) vs. Södertälje (8)

Timrå (3) vs. Djurgården (6)

Färjestad (4) vs. MoDo (5)

The quarterfinal are play in a best-of-seven format. I think teams take turns playing on home ice, so for the higher ranked team it's home-away-home-away-home-away-home, and vice versa for the lower ranked team. But it may be different. At any rate, I know the higher ranked team has home ice advantage in case of a 7th deciding game.

I believe the semifinals and final are also play in best-of-seven series.

For the 9th and 10th placed teams the season is over. The 11th and 12th placed teams have to play a qualifying round against 4 teams from lower divisions. The two best teams of that qualifying round will play in next year's Elite League.

I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I've forgotten, so feel free to ask.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Marcel Hossa's Mora team JUST missed the playoffs, only because of goal differencial. It would have been cool to have all Habs in sweden make the SEL playoffs.

Who is the favourite to win the championship? Is it Frölunda? They dominated the regular season.

I don't think anybody but the fans of the other teams can see how Frölund NOT will win this.

But if MoDo can play like the players they have on the papers they just might be able to challenge.

Mora has played horrible all year. But they're happy with it. It was their first season in the Elitserien and nobody did expect them to do better. Marcel Hossa was probably the one who saved them from the quialifier.

Francis Bouillon and Mike Ryder play for Leksand, who play in a "lower ranked league". Leksand is one of the teams who will face Malmö and Brynäs in the qualifying round I mentioned. The two best teams from that round will play in the Elite League next season. So not all Habs are in the playoffs.

The team I'm rooting for is Timrå, and Frölunda is a close second. The main reasons why I like those teams is because they have the two players who I think are the best in the country this season: Henrik Zetterberg (Timrå) and Henrik Lundqvist (goalie Frölunda).

Frölunda have indeed dominated the regular season and they are by far the biggest favourites to win. Every team that makes the playoffs have a chance of course, but I think the standings gives a good image of which team stands the best chance. If you want to win the Swedish Championship, Frölunda is the team to beat. They are the best team in pretty much every category. Scored the most goals, allowed the fewest, had the best powerplay, Lundqvist had the best save % etc etc etc.

But they still have to play for it.

Originally posted by ch_nl

I don't think anybody but the fans of the other teams can see how Frölund NOT will win this.

But if MoDo can play like the players they have on the papers they just might be able to challenge.

Mora has played horrible all year. But they're happy with it. It was their first season in the Elitserien and nobody did expect them to do better. Marcel Hossa was probably the one who saved them from the quialifier.

Are you thinking of Marian or Marcel?

In my opinion, Mora looked very shaky the first number of games, but aside from the start, they played really well during the first half of the season. After Christmas (and especially after Marian Hossa left the team in the end of January) they have plummeted through the standings. They have like 12 points in their last 17 games (and they won tonight so that means they had like 9 points in their previous last 16 games). I think Mora is one of the teams who have benefited the most from getting locked out NHL players. Otherwise I believe you could very well have switched places of Mora and Brynäs.

Oh, and about MoDo. I think what they have failed to do is get their act together as a team. They have tons of NHL players (possibly the team who has the most NHL'ers) but I think they have underachieved more than was expected.

[Edited on 2005/3/1 by Doktor Kosmos]

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

Francis Bouillon and Mike Ryder play for Leksand, who play in a "lower ranked league". Leksand is one of the teams who will face Malmö and Brynäs in the qualifying round I mentioned. The two best teams from that round will play in the Elite League next season. So not all Habs are in the playoffs.

I know, I was just talking about the Elitserien (did I spell that right?) , not the Allsvenskan. I've tried to follow all the habs in Sweden (both the divisions I mentioned) the best that I could this year..

Also... Couldnt the SuperAllsvenskan be considered playoffs? I mean, thats the best Leksand could hope for this season. Obviously they arent eligible for the Elitserien playoffs (this season), lol... They're at the higher level they can get for this season. At least until the qualifiers?

Thanks for all the information guys!

[Edited on 2005-3-1 by puck7x]

I know, I was just talking about the Elitserien (did I spell that right?) , not the Allsvenskan. I've tried to follow all the habs in Sweden (both the divisions I mentioned) the best that I could this year..

Also... Couldnt the SuperAllsvenskan be considered playoffs? I mean, thats the best Leksand could hope for this season. Obviously they arent eligible for the Elitserien playoffs (this season), lol... They're at the higher level they can get for this season. At least until the qualifiers?

Thanks for all the information guys!

No problemo. My pleasure. :/)

As for your spelling, you are correct sir. You seem to have a talent for Swedish. :-^ I you want to improve further and want lessons, just holler, aight? ;)

You are also correct about Superallsvenskan, it could very well be considered as a playoff, and indeed the best thing Leksand could hope for. What I meant is they are not competing for the championship title.

And of course I meant Marian.

And hey, Kosmos did you see that puck didn't spell Leksand with an ending S! And I also think I saw him spell Frölund with an Ö. Improvement I say.

[Edited on 2005/3/2 by ch_nl]

It's easy... Just to the right of the L-key is Ö.

Just kidding... But don't you have the "^¨~"-key to the right of Enter? Press this first and then O and you have a perfect Ö.

As for your spelling, you are correct sir. You seem to have a talent for Swedish. :-^ I you want to improve further and want lessons, just holler, aight? ;)

Ahhh you and ch_nl are making me blush. lol

Just post some Elite league videos and I'll pick up more of the language that way. Its how I learnt most of the French I know, lol.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

The only button to the right of my Enter key is the Pg Dn key, but I have a laptop.

I think only Swedish keyboards have the ö key. Danish keyboards may have an ø key.
quote:

As for your spelling, you are correct sir. You seem to have a talent for Swedish. I you want to improve further and want lessons, just holler, aight?

Ahhh you and ch_nl are making me blush. lol

Just post some Elite league videos and I'll pick up more of the language that way. Its how I learnt most of the French I know, lol

Hehe, when I started this thread I never thought it would turn into a language thread. :lol:

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

The only button to the right of my Enter key is the Pg Dn key, but I have a laptop.

I think only Swedish keyboards have the ö key. Danish keyboards may have an ø key.

The German keyboards also have the Ö-key ... wouldn't be that good if we can't write our own country - Österreich. :D;)

Luleå-Frölunda 3-7 (1-2,0-3,2-2) Game played in Luleå

Period scores (1-2,0-3,2-2)

Game played in Luleå

Shots: 39-26

Goals:

0–1 (4.59) Martin Plüss (Peter Högardh, Jonas Esbjörs)

1–1 (6.42) Jonas Nordquist (Per Ledin, Justin Williams)

1–2 (8.07) Magnus Kahnberg (Jari Tolsa)

1–3 (1.49) Magnus Kahnberg (Per-Johan Axelsson, Arto Tukio)

1–4 (6.56) Niklas Andersson

1–5 (17.49) Tomi Kallio (Joel Lundqvist, Christian Bäckman)

2–5 (2.32) Thomas Berglund (Emil Lundberg)

2–6 (6.05) Joel Lundqvist (Jari Tolsa)

3–6 (13.23) Tuukka Mäntylä (Jonas Nordquist, Karl Fabricius)

3–7 (16.07) Tomi Kallio (Jonas Johnson) empty net

- - - - -

Södertälje-Linköping 3-0 (1-0,1-0,1-0) Game played in Södertälje

Period scores (1-0,1-0,1-0)

Game played in Södertälje

Shots: 29-27

Goals:

1–0 (14.00) Niclas Hävelid (Jan Huokko)

2–0 (14.47) Kyle Calder (Scott Thornton, Dragan Umicevic)

3–0 (10.04) Joakim Eriksson (Mikael Samuelsson) shorthanded.

- - - - -

Djurgården-Timrå 1-3 (0-1,0-0,1-2) Game played in Stockholm

Period scores (0-1,0-0,1-2)

Game played in Stockholm

Shots: 29-16

Goals:

0–1 (9.03) Henrik Zetterberg.

1–1 (4.39) Nils Ekman (Dan Boyle, Marcus Nilson)

1–2 (13.47) Christian Söderström (Magnus Nilsson, Lars Jonsson)

1–3 (19.05) Fredrik Modin (Henrik Zetterberg, Jonathan Hedström) empty net

- - - - -

MoDo-Färjestad 2-1 (0-0,2-0,0-1) Game played in Örnsköldsvik

Period scores(0-0,2-0,0-1)

Game played in Örnsköldsvik

Shots: 31-26

Goals:

1–0 (1.24) Hans Jonsson (Henrik Sedin) 5 on 4 powerplay

2–0 (4.19) Alexander Steen (Mattias Timander)

2–1 (19.01) Zdeno Chara (Sheldon Souray, Jörgen Jönsson) 5 on 4 powerplay

[Edited on 2005/3/4 by Doktor Kosmos]

I have to ask you other swedes here... will Ryder and Bouillon play in Leksand all this season or do they have that contract type that will see them go back to america soon?

Hopefully Leksand makes it back to the top league.

BTW.

I cheer for Theo in the playoffs..

But somehow im beginning to hate Souray... He is whining about everything in the games ive seen him.

Its all Färjestad's fault. Why didnt Souray go to Finland or something.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

I have to ask you other swedes here... will Ryder and Bouillon play in Leksand all this season or do they have that contract type that will see them go back to america soon?

BTW.

But somehow im beginning to hate Souray... He is whining about everything in the games ive seen him.

Not just in the games, he's also whining in the paper. At least in his weekly article in the Gazette, he's whining about the refs, and saying that the playoff atmosphere in Karlstad is only 3/10 (with 10/10 being what its like in Montreal)

Doesnt he realize that alot of Swedes read his weekly article?

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by Dalhabs

BTW.

Not just in the games, he's also whining in the paper. At least in his weekly article in the Gazette, he's whining about the refs, and saying that the playoff atmosphere in Karlstad is only 3/10 (with 10/10 being what its like in Montreal)

Doesnt he realize that alot of Swedes read his weekly article?

Does he care?

I don't know why Ryder and Bouillon would leave Leksand at this point of the season...? They've played there all season so why would they go play somewhere else when they've come to the point where it is the most fun to play? I don't know the terms of their contracts, but it would make little sense for them to leave Leksand now.

[Edited on 2005/3/6 by Doktor Kosmos]

Frölunda–Luleå 3–1 (1–1, 1–0, 1–0)

1–0 (1.59) Per-Johan Axelsson (Daniel Alfredsson)

1–1 (10.16) Thomas Berglund (Jonas Rönnqvist) shorthanded

2–1 (30.34) Tomi Kallio

3–1 (53.49) Niklas Andersson (Ronnie Sundin)

Shots: 43–29

Game played in Gothenburg

Frölunda leads the series 2-0

- - - - -

Linköping–Södertälje 2–1 (0–0, 1–1, 1–0)

1–0 (21.01) Magnus Johansson (Tony Mårtensson) powerplay

1–1 (25.18) Kyle Calder (Timmy Pettersson)

2–1 (58.44) Johan Franzén (Jakob Karlsson)

Shots: 33–25

Game played in Linköping

Series tied 1-1

- - - - -

Färjestad–Modo 6–2 (1–2, 3–0, 2–0)

0–1 (4.04) Per Svartvadet (Markus Näslund)

1–1 (11.51) Marcel Jenni (Mike Johnson)

1–2 (15.53) Adrian Aucoin (Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin) powerplay

2–2 (29.11) Zdeno Chara (Janne Grönvall, Oscar Steen)

3–2 (29.35) Mathias Johansson (Marcel Jenni)

4–2 (29.57) Christian Berglund (Zdeno Chara)

5–2 (45.50) Mathias Johansson (Mike Johnson, Marcel Jenni)

6–2 (49.44) Jörgen Jönsson (Pelle Prestberg, Sheldon Souray) 5 on 3 powerplay

Shots: 30–21

Game played in Karlstad

Series tied 1-1

- - - - -

Timrå–Djurgården 2–4 (0–1, 1–1, 1–2)

0–1 (13.41) Nils Ekman (Patrick Thoresen, Dan Boyle) powerplay

0–2 (28.32) Dan Boyle (Tomas Kollar)

1–2 (35.19) Henrik Zetterberg (Johan Svedberg, Jonathan Hedström)

2–2 (44.25) Teemu Aalto (Fredrik Modin) 5 on 3 powerplay

2–3 (12.31) Fredrik Bremberg (Daniel Tjärnqvist, Dan Boyle) powerplay

2–4 (19.14) Daniel Rudslätt (Daniel Tjärnqvist) empty net

Shots: 27–18

Game played in Timrå

Series tied 1-1

[Edited on 2005/3/6 by Doktor Kosmos]

Some reports say Theo practically won the game for Djurgården.

I'm still rooting for Timrå though.

Theo was not that good but he did his job.

Timrå played really bad and Theo didnt really have to make any big saves and the goals he let by was the only good chances Timrå had in the game

Djurgården played a superb game defensively.