Time for Price

TheDriveFor25

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, the player really didn't even notice that he'd been hit with the puck like MK1 said. (Sorry I started this post before some of the replies. :lol:)

With that being said, it's a pretty useless discussion given the context. It was a stupid penalty, there is no doubting that but Price should not get singled out because of it. Players get stupid penalties all the time... ALL THE TIME. Sure, goalies get less penalties than players but Price is only human. Plekanec, arguably our best player got an unsportsmanlike penalty the game before. He didn't shoot the puck at anyone, but it happened and I did not see much discussion about it. Like Colin is saying, they are simply showing positive emotion and frustration (though I would add that Gomez and Plekanec have both shown a decent amount of emotion this series as well). Unfortunately the emotion they have been showing haven't been productive for the team.

With all that put in place, I truly believe that Price needed to be stronger last game. As someone mentioned, we always knew that goaltending would have to be our strongest asset this series in order for us to stay competitive. To me, this is the reason that Price and Halak are and should be discussed as much as they have been. Can we fault Price for the loss? Certainly not. Did he need to be better for us to win? I truly believe that the answer is yes. Regardless of the late second period Hamrlik brain cramp, the Caps would have come out hard in the third period, I'm certain of it. I think the most agitating part of it is that we all know Price can be better. It's his inconsistency that kills it. I recall him making one very important save on the penalty kill in the second period last night, but saves like that get lost as a consequence of other mental mistakes. It's simply his consistency for 60 minutes that he needs to work on. Once this is achieved, he will be great.

I'm not bashing Price or anything, I'm just saying it like I see it. Halak needed to be better in Game 2 for us to win and Price needed to be better yesterday for us to win. No goalie could have won game 3 for us. Of course the lineup in front of the goalies have to be great as well in order for us to compete, but I truly believe that in general, they have been. We are not playing a Vanek-less Buffalo or Ottawa, we are playing the elite of the east. Unfortunately our goalies have to play stellar as a consequence. Certain fans want the habs to win at any cost and believe that they can do so regardless of context. Fans who have watched every game this season and understand hockey realize how good our goalies have to be this series in order for us to actually win 4 games out of 7. So far Varlamov has been the best goalie in the series while Price and Halak have been relatively equal to one another. As a consequence, based on the overall season and playoffs, Halak should start next game and there should be no question about it. If that conclusion seems biased to you, then you are simply biased yourself.

Edited by xXx..CK..xXx