Habs fantasy picks

l.moustakas

Well, first of all, I should introduce myself. My name is Louis Moustakas, I have been writing for HabsWorld for one year now and have been made an editor for the 2010 season.

I was reading Mark Della Posta's piece ( http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2201 ) about Habs fantasy prospects. While reading, two questions came to mind:

1. If you had to choose one current habs player for your fantasy team, who would it be?

2. If you had to choose one former habs player for your team, who would it be?

Cheers,

I must preface my picks by saying I tend not to pick top Hab players in pools as they have an uncanny habit of getting injured long-term (one exception being Streit in his last year with the Habs and I picked him around 400th overall). With that in mind, my pick would be Spacek for a current Hab which I'm sure will put me in the minority. Forget the obvious picks, give me a potential diamond in the rough. He's in better shape and will still have PP time (1st unit to start most likely so he could get off to a good start), I foresee a bounce back year from him. I don't think he'll hit 40 points, but 30 isn't unrealistic which to me makes him a viable d-man in deep leagues.

In terms of a former player, I'll once again stray away from the obvious and go for another hit or miss player: Alex Tanguay. Yes, he bombed in Tampa but he's now back with the team where he had a breakout season playing with Jarome Iginla. This season, guess who he's expected to play alongside? Iggy himself. Like Spacek, I wouldn't be expecting a career year, but a 50-55 point season isn't too unrealistic.

As you can probably sense, I tend to go for gamble picks and strategies, that's what wins you in the leagues. Both players I think will slip deep into the draft coming off bad years so they're low risk, medium reward guys.

---------------------------------------------------

Speaking of fantasy leagues, we have some spots left in a long-running league (dating back to 2001) of Hab fans that drafts on Saturday night. For more info, click here.

Like Brian, I tend not to draft Habs for my fantasy teams. The reason for that is that when the Habs lose, those players usually have bad nights, so that makes me doubly cranky. That being said, I've perennially drafted Markov, and when he's healthy, he tends to not disappoint. This year, I actually ended up drafting Cammalleri fairly early on, and that was simply due to the lack of elite LWers. With the current Yahoo! position eligibilities, quality LWers are by far the minority, so I had to bite the bullet and hope that Cammy has a good year. I've also taken PK in a late round.

As for the former Habs' player, I do think Tanguay would be a good choice. But since he's already picked, I'll stray and go with Streit. He's easily in the top 5 fantasy defensemen, and the better Tavares gets, the better his numbers will be. It's not unrealistic to think that he could top 65 points.

Current: Markov

He delivers the goods every year as an elite defenseman.

Past: Roy

30+ wins in 14 of 15 seasons

Oh, former CURRENT player from the Habs. Duh.

Halak

Edited by Wamsley01

Well, I should answer my own question I suppose.

As far as current players are concerned, I'd go with Cammy. Save for his atrocious 12 game scoring drought, he was on a 40 goal pace last year and could conceivably reach that plateay this year. Markov worries me too much given his injury woes.

Streit makes the most sense as far as former Habs are concerned, especially given his importance to the Islanders. It's not exactly like they are filled with offensive weapons or defensive depth. Hmmm... so nobody is picking Chris Higgins, haha, I wonder why?