Mike Commodore on re-entry

tkb24

Commodore is now on re-entry. Cap hit for this season would be around 850k. For the 2 years after it would be 1.875m per year. Not bad for a solid 4-6 d-man that can move up if necessary. Plays the right side too. Is big at 6'4" and can play a tough game. I think would be a good fit for the habs at a low cost.

Pairings this year would be:

Hammer-Wiz

Gill-Subban

Spacek-Commodore

A more solid D that can have the minutes spread evenly.

If he didn't have 2 years left on his deal, sure. But if he can't crack the Jackets' lineup, surely he can't crack the Habs' on a regular basis. I noted this in the NHL thread (where I posted he was on re-entry earlier) but I suspect he'll clear. We'll know on Monday.

Also, welcome to the board!

I've had the same thoughts lately. The two extra years are the big concern, but on the other hand, he's half-price on re-entry waivers, and fills a need on this team without giving up any players or picks, which may be needed to fill the other perceived need (big, scoring top-6 winger). I doubt he's as big a benefit to the team with a healthy Gorges and Markov (hopefully) returning next year and after, but right now, the team lacks a true top pairing and needs to spread the work around more evenly. That means more minutes for the bottom pair, and I'm not sure if Weber is ready for that (and Picard sure isn't.) On the downside, the need for a penalty killing defenseman to fill Gorges' role right now wouldn't be filled by Commodore, since he's a penalty machine. Plus, two more years. Half of 3.75 million isn't too bad, but if the hope is to bring back Gorges, Markov, and possibly also Wisniewski, plus keep Subban, Weber, and Spacek (for his last season), then it may be an issue. I suppose the Habs could just bury his salary in Hamilton if he doesn't fit next year

Edited by Ravnos

I've had the same thoughts lately. The two extra years are the big concern, but on the other hand, he's half-price on re-entry waivers, and fills a need on this team without giving up any players or picks, which may be needed to fill the other perceived need (big, scoring top-6 winger). I doubt he's as big a benefit to the team with a healthy Gorges and Markov (hopefully) returning next year and after, but right now, the team lacks a true top pairing and needs to spread the work around more evenly. That means more minutes for the bottom pair, and I'm not sure if Weber is ready for that (and Picard sure isn't.) On the downside, the need for a penalty killing defenseman to fill Gorges' role right now wouldn't be filled by Commodore, since he's a penalty machine. Plus, two more years. Half of 3.75 million isn't too bad, but if the hope is to bring back Gorges, Markov, and possibly also Wisniewski, plus keep Subban, Weber, and Spacek (for his last season), then it may be an issue. I suppose the Habs could just bury his salary in Hamilton if he doesn't fit next year

Commadore is NOT the answer. I thought Columbus was INSANE giving a bottom pairing Dman the contract they did. He is a character guy, but at the end of the day is a scrub. Two more years at even the 1/2 cap hit would be a horrible commitment. We are talking about a borderline NHL'er getting 2nd pairing money.

If he didn't have 2 years left on his deal, sure. But if he can't crack the Jackets' lineup, surely he can't crack the Habs' on a regular basis. I noted this in the NHL thread (where I posted he was on re-entry earlier) but I suspect he'll clear. We'll know on Monday.

Also, welcome to the board!

To be fair, Columbus has a better team than us, so yes, potentially a player that can't crack their lineup would be able to crack ours.

rather see Alex Henry for $600k that will do the same job that Commodore can do.

In fact I think Alex Henry hasn't been called up because he is too useful in Hamilton. He doesnt have to go through waivers. But he does fit the Habs team as a bottom pairing D that will clear the net and punch your teeth in