2011 Draft

ForumGhost

So question is this: who should we draft?

I would love to get Jamie Oleksiak. I'm aware we drafted a similar player in Tinordi last year, but can you imagine the two playing together? If they both pan out to be top 4 defensemen, we could have a very, very sick defense corps in a few years. And you know what they say about defense and cups.

Additionally, we still have some quality forwards in our system. Leblanc, Kristo, Palushaj and Gallagher are all projected to have top 6 potential, plus Pacioretty, Eller and Desharnais all growing on the Habs at the same time. However, a defensive depth is looking pretty thin after Tinordi and Weber... In fact, the only other one I could see making the NHL is Nash.

That's why I would take Oleksiak, and maybe even trade up to get him if we have to.

The BPA won't be Oleksiak. I'm not a big fan of him... he's this year's McIlrath, which was a terrible draft pick by the Rags.

To be honest, I'm pro-trading down and picking up a 2nd rounder to go with a late first.

I agree with trading down, lots of "good looking" forwards, like Jurco, Jaskin, Jensen or a bunch of others who will be available late 1st round and into 2nd round.

The jumbo d-man would be tempting to pick, but need forward and goalie depth much more.

Mark Shiefele/McNeill would be perfect choices at 17, but could get almost as promising forwards by trading 17th and maybe 77th pick to Leafs for their 25th and 30th possibly??

The BPA won't be Oleksiak. I'm not a big fan of him... he's this year's McIlrath, which was a terrible draft pick by the Rags.

To be honest, I'm pro-trading down and picking up a 2nd rounder to go with a late first.

I agree completely he won't be the BPA as I said in the other draft thread. I don't think he'll be bad a pick as McIlrath though, Oleksiak is one of the more safe giant blueliners in the draft in recent years.

I agree with trading down, lots of "good looking" forwards, like Jurco, Jaskin, Jensen or a bunch of others who will be available late 1st round and into 2nd round.

The jumbo d-man would be tempting to pick, but need forward and goalie depth much more.

Mark Shiefele/McNeill would be perfect choices at 17, but could get almost as promising forwards by trading 17th and maybe 77th pick to Leafs for their 25th and 30th possibly??

The Leafs have said they'd be willing to move 25 or 30 with their 2nd rounder (39) to move up. From what Burke has said, I don't see them moving both 1st rounders to move up.

Oh, and since we're now using this as the draft thread (I'm guessing as such), make sure to make your picks in our annual draft pool. For anyone wondering, I'm the defending champ. :)http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2509