The Official Gomez Thread

Natural Mystic

Gomez  

28 members have voted

1. 1. When will Gomez score his first this season?

• November
    • December
    • January
    • Febuary
    • March
    • April and/or Playoffs
    • He sucks! He won't score this year!
  2. 2. What should they do with Gomez?

• Minors!
    • Play him at center
    • Play him on the wing
    • Trade him for a bag of pucks! If lucky get a prospect and/or an NHL player too

After having gone to the Habs game vs Boston last weekend I was actually very impressed with the manner in which DD plays when you see him live. With that being said, the same can be said with most players including Gomez... in that you notice subtle things about what make players great when you see them live. The discussion about whether Gomez or DD should be at center upon Gomez's arrival is an important one. Personally, I think you keep Gomez at center and play DD on the wing.

There are two things which are on topic but have yet to be discussed here though... Firstly if DD is indeed put on the wing what do the lines look like? No one has really posted any line combinations here. Secondly and tied in with this fact is the winger Brian Gionta. For much of his career, Gomez's successes as well as his troubles have been tied in with his play with Brian Gionta. Upon Gomez's return, you may want to give the two a little more time to play together (as Gomez has not really been given a fair shot this season yet) but if things don't work out I would not hesitate to finally split them up. The book on Gomez and Gionta is known even to 5 year old toddler hab fans who watch hockey while playing with plastic toys. While at their best, the duo can be a top 10 duo in the league. When things are not going well however, they can be one of the worst. Gomez and Gionta have chemistry that not many can match, however they do not really adapt to different situations and other teams do not have a very difficult time defending them. This surely has an impact on both Gomez's and Gionta's production.

Should things not work out here is a ballpark look at my suggested lines...

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta

Cammalleri-Gomez-Cole

DD-Eller-Kostitsyn

Moen-Nokelainen-Darche

From a personal standpoint if I would contemplate switching anybody it would be a debate between Eller and DD at center vs wing... not Gomez or DD. With the lines I put up, I actually kind of like Eller on the left wing and DD at center. Also Moen has certainly been playing better than a 4th line player but it would make for a pretty solid energy line.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eller will stay at centre. If you've noticed in the last few games, JM is making sure to matchup Eller against the other team's 2nd best line, with Pleks taking the first. JM is definetely becoming confident in Eller's two way ability and this is gonna leave him as the second line centre, with eventually Gomez taking over the third.

As for who their wingers will be... JM changes them after every loss anyways, so why bother trying to make them up. However if Gomez was ready to return tonight, I'd go.

Patch - Plek - Gio

Cammy - Eller - AKost

DD - Gomez - Cole

Darche - Noka - Moen

Yeah I guess my focus was more on the fact that no one was suggesting any line combinations to back up their argument as to whether Gomez or Desharnais should play on the wing. The line combinations don't really matter, I'm not the coach. But they certainly help in answering the question as to who should play where. I don't mind your lines either though, DD - Eller - A Kost may be a little too weak. I'm glad to see we agree that splitting up Gionta and Gomez might be a good solution as well... Although I thoroughly believe that Martin will put the two together upon Gomez's return, and probably rightly so.

Yeah I guess my focus was more on the fact that no one was suggesting any line combinations to back up their argument as to whether Gomez or Desharnais should play on the wing. The line combinations don't really matter, I'm not the coach. But they certainly help in answering the question as to who should play where. I don't mind your lines either though, DD - Eller - A Kost may be a little too weak. I'm glad to see we agree that splitting up Gionta and Gomez might be a good solution as well... Although I thoroughly believe that Martin will put the two together upon Gomez's return, and probably rightly so.

Agreed. Gio and Pleks aren't exactly making magic happen out there. Just Lars and Andrei in that department, which shouldn't surprise us by now. Maybe Cole and Cam - looks like a well matched combo on the wings, but time will tell. Cam deserves more time with Pleks as well. They usually click.

I also agree that the DD vs. Gomez debate should include suggested lines. I think everyone is going to be surprised by two things this season - more stability in the lines and more goal scoring than we have seen in a long time. True only if the injuries remain minimal. Common, we're due for God's sake! A lot of the juggling of the past two seasons can be attributed to the unreal injury rate the team has suffered.

My suggestions:

Cole-Pleks-Cam

Patches-Gomez-Gio

DD-Eller-AK

Moen-Nokia-Darche

I don't think the DD-Eller-AK trio is soft. AK is the second best hitter in the top 9, now that Cole is in da house. Eller uses his body very well along the boards and can dig with the best of em. It's a bit alternative to have your centre as the primary forechecker, but those three are gonna make other teams' third lines pay.

Gotta give Gomer a few weeks as a second line C before writing him off this season. He has a lot to prove.

The way Eller is playing I think you'll end up with a 2a/2b situation between him and Gomez. Whoever is playing better on any given night will become the "2nd line" center with the 2nd most minutes, but both lines will play a lot.

I like matching up with Eller though because he's becoming damn good defensively. Plekanec-lite.

The way Eller is playing I think you'll end up with a 2a/2b situation between him and Gomez. Whoever is playing better on any given night will become the "2nd line" center with the 2nd most minutes, but both lines will play a lot.

I like matching up with Eller though because he's becoming damn good defensively. Plekanec-lite.

Lovin Eller's work in his own end for sure.