IceCaps vs Hamilton, Dec. 2, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

We can agree to disagree. Yes we did get a career AHLer in Stafford. We could have grabbed one off waivers, cost us nothing and been available to play in NHL if needed.

You can't grab AHLers off waivers... if you grab guys on waivers they need to be part of your big club or you offer them back to the team you claimed them from. Which is why trotter cleared waivers, but Phoenix still wanted to trade for him as they could get him on their AHL club that way.
Last I heard Ben was handling third line duties in Anahiem or LA(somewhere out west).  
He's a third/fourth liner in Anaheim after Winnipeg waived him. Again, I think he's another Chipchura. Chipchura got plenty of chances to be a 3rd/4th liner too before multiple organizations gave up on him.
When I talk about draft choices, I am speaking about over the years; of course last years choices don't come into play yet. Trading away picks- of course they can fill up roster with undrafted picks- and perhaps you can claim they have had a reasonable amount of success. In terms of specific names you have brought forward

Yes and as I've said... In 2007 we made 9 picks in the 7 round draftIn 2008 we made 5 picks in the 7 round draft (plus traded for Greg Pateryn immediately after the draft)In 2009 we made 7 picks in the 7 round draftIf you want to go further back we made 6 and 7 picks in 2006 and 2005 respectively.The Bulldogs right now aren't the victim of "lack of draft picks"... we've had and made plenty of picks at the end of the day.We aren't making a less than average number of picks in the drafts relevant to the current Bulldogs squad.
Palushaj- not convinced he will ever be as good as Agostini

Eller       -was a trade of player (Halak), not a pick

Shultz    - has zero likelyhood of ever playing with the Canadiens

I get the cycle bit- absolutely accurate. I was only commenting on Lammy's blog concerning the state of the bulldogs now.

Yes we traded Players for those picks... but we traded our picks for players who would help us at the time. It all balances out in terms of assets and resources. The point being that while we traded away a 2008 1st, and 2010 and 2011 2nd rounders... we've gone and acquired 2007 1sts, 2nds and 2008 and 2010 3rds in other moves. So the total number of prospects hasn't really been diminished.

You can't grab AHLers off waivers... if you grab guys on waivers they need to be part of your big club

Yes we traded Players for those picks... but we traded our picks for players who would help us at the time. It all balances out in terms of assets and resources. The point being that while we traded away a 2008 1st, and 2010 and 2011 2nd rounders... we've gone and acquired 2007 1sts, 2nds and 2008 and 2010 3rds in other moves. So the total number of prospects hasn't really been diminished.

My point is about quality not quanity. Secondly I don't ever remember us trading for a first pick as your second last line suggests.You can draft a borderline NHLer and send him down later. Lots of times they clear waivers.

We traded a 1st in 2008 for Alex Tanguay.  Calgary used the pick on Greg Nemisz who is currently pinballing in their system between the minors and big club.

As for quality... if you look at the drafts you'll see that its only really in the last two years where we are missing high picks (mostly 2nd rounders). http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006929.html The years that are relevant to this bulldogs club have seen just as many high picks as anyone, and the evidence of this is guys like Price, Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, Weber, Emelin, White, were all picked in the first three rounds. Again when you have a team with 5-6 forwards under the age of 24 right now.... 5 Dmen in their first or 2nd year..... and a 24 year old goalie... its gonna drain the farm club.

Ben Maxwell back on waivers today. So that makes three clubs who have given up on him.

Anyone want to take a gamble at him for a second line center :D! haha lol