Time for Bettman to exit?

REV-G

Depending upon how these CBA negotiations go it may be time for the NHL to find a new commissioner. I read a report the other day that stated that Bettman's legacy may be that he was the one who led the NHL into 3 lockouts.

His approach seems to be, give me what I want or we lock you out. Case closed. The NHL PA removed their leader after the last mess and it may be time for the NHL to do the same. Bettman seems to be very heavy handed and I don't think that is the approach that wil be successful. At any public event he seems to be very unpopular with the fans, and I'm sure he has very few fans among the players or the media.

He doesn't seem to understand that there is another way to move forward. That may be his undoing.

Bettman is doing exactly what the owners want. He'll probably get a raise.

This.

I'm all for the cap, and in that sense I'd divide his legacy up to this point into two phases: first, the totally misguided and mostly failed attempt to expand into 'non-traditional' markets even at the expense of Canadian franchises, which created problems that remain in place. (In fairness, there are also a number of success stories - San Jose especially - which suggests that the error was less in expanding than in being insufficiently choosy about where and how to expand).

The second part of his legacy is his success in imposing a cap. This has created a more balanced playing field in the competition for UFAs and therefore, I feel, benefited the average hockey fan. A further, unintended benefit to the lockout that led to the cap was the crackdown on obstruction, borne of a desperate desire to make the game more fan-friendly. This probably would not have happened had the league not been terrified the fans would not come back.

So up to this point, he's 1 for 2. Expansion bad, cap good.

In my view, his current negotiating stance - that players have to bear the burden of supporting the half-dozen useless franchises that can't meet the cap floor, by taking a cut in the cap's % of league revenues - is largely wrong. True, players benefit from the existence of those franchises inasmuch as they create more jobs. It might be fair to ask them to bear some part of the burden of correcting the imbalance. But surely the primary fix should come through revenue sharing. If the governors are so all-fired concerned about the Phoenixes of the league, then let them peel a greater chunk of the obscene profits garnered by teams like the Leafs, Habs and Rangers - profits enhanced considerably by the salary cap, which prevents these teams from spending anywhere near what they'd spend without it - and plough them into those gutter-dwelling franchises. I just cannot see why it should be the players - the ones who are doing all the work and risking their brain-pans for 82 games - who are primarily responsible for these franchises.

So I think Bettman is trying to refine the second part of his legacy in an indefensible way. That being said, he is certainly doing what the owners want. They're the real culprits behind this particular hoo-haw, not Bettman, their happy warrior.

Bettman is doing exactly what the owners want. He'll probably get a raise.

There you go, your bang-on correct.

He is just the front-man and has dick-all to do with any decisions, cept delivery of Billionaires message.

He is very well paid to be crapped upon and as a lawyer he is good at what he is hired to do.

Not sure why anyone thinks replacing Bettman would have any affect at all.

A puppet would just be replaced by another one.

Bettman is easy to blame since he represents the 30 teams and nobody wants to hate the teams they cheer for. So instead we hate on their representative.

Fact is, this potential play stoppage is not Bettmans fault but every NHL owners fault. Whether you like to think it or not, that includes the Montreal Canadiens.

Bettman is easy to blame since he represents the 30 teams and nobody wants to hate the teams they cheer for. So instead we hate on their representative.

Fact is, this potential play stoppage is not Bettmans fault but every NHL owners fault. Whether you like to think it or not, that includes the Montreal Canadiens.

Maybe if he wasn't so damn hateable..

Maybe if he wasn't so damn hateable..

If i was getting $7-10m /year to take crap as the frontman for the Billionairs club; i would be pretty smug myself and might not give a rats-ass what the media or public thinks of me neither.

If i was getting $7-10m /year to take crap as the frontman for the Billionairs club; i would be pretty smug myself and might not give a rats-ass what the media or public thinks of me neither.

What might end up being the end of Bettman as NHL Commissioner is Bettman himself. His health seems to be diminishing by the year and there has been a lot of rumours of him being ill.

• 1 month later...