Expansion Draft

Guest Stogey24

In the interest of fairness I would guess the protected players would be limited to 6 forwards, 4 defencemen and 1 goalie. This way the expansion teams could get plenty of top-6 forwards and decent defensive cores. Goalie wise there's plenty of goalies that would be left unprotected, both teams would be in the situation columbus was in after the draft, 2 good goalies. Lots of possibilities.

Riemer/Bernier

Anderson/Lehner

Lindback/Bishop

Nabokov/Thomas

Miller/Enroth

Halak/Elliot

Neuvirth/Holtby

Hiller/Fasth

Fluery/Vokoun

Emery/Mason

I see Miller/Enroth broken up for sure, probably the strongest duo in the NHL right now. Fluery/Vokoun or Nabokov/Thomas would be broken up. Not to mention some great young backups for a team the would draft Thomas or Vokoun, like Holtby/Neuvirth or Lindback/Bishop or Halak/Elliot or Bernier/Reimer. I know Fluery and Vokoun have a NTC each, but you'd have to think if their only allowed to protect 1 goalie there's no way the NTC/NMC would protect both.

In the interest of fairness I would guess the protected players would be limited to 6 forwards, 4 defencemen and 1 goalie. This way the expansion teams could get plenty of top-6 forwards and decent defensive cores. Goalie wise there's plenty of goalies that would be left unprotected, both teams would be in the situation columbus was in after the draft, 2 good goalies. Lots of possibilities.

Riemer/Bernier

Anderson/Lehner

Lindback/Bishop

Nabokov/Thomas

Miller/Enroth

Halak/Elliot

Neuvirth/Holtby

Hiller/Fasth

Fluery/Vokoun

Emery/Mason

That expansion formula (1/5/9) was deemed fair in the past, I can't see them freeing up three more forwards and a defenceman. Perhaps one more forward or one d-man but that's about all.

Also, a couple of quick notes on your goalie tandems, Thomas is gone from the Islanders without ever playing for them while Mason is now playing in the hockey hotbed of Italy. Their new backups are Kevin Poulin and Magnus Hellberg respectively.

That expansion formula (1/5/9) was deemed fair in the past, I can't see them freeing up three more forwards and a defenceman. Perhaps one more forward or one d-man but that's about all.

Also, a couple of quick notes on your goalie tandems, Thomas is gone from the Islanders without ever playing for them while Mason is now playing in the hockey hotbed of Italy. Their new backups are Kevin Poulin and Magnus Hellberg respectively.

Really? Didn't he just sign a new contract in Philly?

Really? Didn't he just sign a new contract in Philly?

That's Steve Mason and yes, he did extend with Philly. Chris Mason was Nashville's backup last year (the one who went overseas) and evidently, I got the two messed up. For some odd reason, I read Emery as Rinne.

Guest Stogey24

That's Steve Mason and yes, he did extend with Philly. Chris Mason was Nashville's backup last year (the one who went overseas) and evidently, I got the two messed up. For some odd reason, I read Emery as Rinne.

Wow, Italy? He played well in St.Louis. I guess that was a couple seasons ago though.

I think there's a formula where you can protect two goalies but you have to leave quite a lot of other skaters available. 2/3/7 might be the ticket vs 1/5/9. I think it's the idea that if you're more willing to give up one of your top 4 D than a goalie you can do so.

I think there's a formula where you can protect two goalies but you have to leave quite a lot of other skaters available. 2/3/7 might be the ticket vs 1/5/9. I think it's the idea that if you're more willing to give up one of your top 4 D than a goalie you can do so.

2/3/7 was the old formula (with 1/5/9), it was being speculated that it could be changed to a specific one in the interest of fairness should there be an expansion draft in the future. The proposed one had just one goalie per team being protected.