Habs WILL be able to get Breezer Back

GoHabs2002

I don't know if this has been confirmed previously or not, but the Habs will be able to get Brisebois back.

I posted my opinion on his situation early last week, and it's been all but confirmed.

Buyouts are for years remaining on a contract, and as it stands right now Brisebois has NO contract for 2005-2006.

July 28th (Thursday) is when teams/players must pick up their contract options, therefore that is when Gainey will decided to pick up the option, presenting 2 situations:

1- Gainey picks up the option and Brisebois has a contract for next season, then Gainey can decide to buy him out for salary cap purposes or keep him: buyout=2.25; keep him=3.42M

2- Gainey declines the option and Brisebois' remains with no contract and becomes a UFA. THe 1M dollar buyout compensation is not a contract buyout, but an option buyout.

I do believe that 1m will count against the Cap though, so the Habs will be down to 38M (i think they'll stop at 35-36M as Boivin said they won't go to the max since "there will be some interesting FAs next summer" cough cough)

So July 28th, Gainey will decline the option and will then try to resing him to a lesser contract, but it would make no sense to sign him to a contract worth more than 1.5m per, as this way Brisebois will still take up 2.5m against the cap.

I hope Patrice is willing to take the million dollar paycut this year and play for about 2 million for a few years more. He has been a loyal habs for his whole career, despite what the fans have thought of him.

Interesting.

Still wondering if gainey will choose to keep him or let him go in order to bring someone else in.

You gotta think Brisebois would sign for significantly less money in order to stay in Montreal... but he prob has at least some greed in him.

Look forward to seeing how this pans out :D.

Bottom line, I hope that he does stay with Montreal. With the potentially new and offensive-minded league, he'll fit in much better (just like Hainsey). So, if they can keep him, go for it.

According to the contracts posted on Habs World that the Canadiens currently have, Brisebois is signed for the upcoming season at 4.5m? It does not appear that this is a club option or a player option year in this contract? While they may have an existing contract buyout clause, the new CBA indicates that the Canadiens could not sign him back this year if they choose to excercise this option. While I'm no lawyer my understanding of the new agreement is quite clear that he will not be back at a lower cost through any buyout. It's keep him at 4.5 or buy him out! Unless the Habs have some magic exception to the new CBA there are no exceptions to the contract buyout aspects with regards to resigning a player they have bought out - this contract option probably just dictates the financial terms of any buyout they negotiated into it at the time they agreed to terms with Brisebois.

The Habs have enough small players and they need some size up front, especially given the fact that the area in front of the net is going to get bigger. it's time to bring the young guys up, tough it through a couple of lean years maybe and get some high drafts - then imagine what the future will be!

Anyone care to remember how the Avs got that good, not to mention what's happening in Pittsburgh with young talent on the horizon. You need to build for the long run under this CBA. :contract::?-

On the right side of everybrowser, there are arrows and you can scroll up or down on any give web page... :P (just kidding)

So on the contract page when you scroll down, you can read the following

"Patrice Brisebois: *** The Canadiens have the option to buyout the final year of Brisebois' contract for 1 million dollars. "

They would be better off to sign him at the reduced rate, then trade him while picking up a portion of his salary. If they offer to pay half (1.75 mil), then they could get a good return while only being out an extra .75 mil. That is the most sensible option.

ok iam telling everyone right now that option for brisboise if its done at 3mil imma just gonna go insane i have respect for him but no for 3 million wayyyyyyyy not worth it and can get someone alot better for that price i say buy out him out and find someone better....for instance maybe sergei gonchar?:ghg:

Originally posted by koivu-11

ok iam telling everyone right now that option for brisboise if its done at 3mil imma just gonna go insane i have respect for him but no for 3 million wayyyyyyyy not worth it and can get someone alot better for that price i say buy out him out and find someone better....for instance maybe sergei gonchar?:ghg:

Not quite sure I understand what you are saying. Maybe try some puncuation? I honestly cannot figure out what you are saying. It sound like you think the Habs might buyout Brisebois for 3 million, which is impossible. If he leaves the team, he leaves via the 1 million dollar option buyout he has. As of now, he has no actual contract for this season.

If they pay him 3.25 mil or whatever it is, that would be a waste. I don't think that anyone really wants Breezeer at that price. If they buy him out, then they spend 1 mil for nothing, and someone else signs him for a reasonable price. BUT, if they sign him for 3.25 mil and offer him in trade while picking up half his contract (1.75 mil) then they could get a good asset for a net cost of less than a million dollars. Still not perfect, but better than the other two options.

Originally posted by beckham

If they pay him 3.25 mil or whatever it is, that would be a waste. I don't think that anyone really wants Breezeer at that price. If they buy him out, then they spend 1 mil for nothing, and someone else signs him for a reasonable price. BUT, if they sign him for 3.25 mil and offer him in trade while picking up half his contract (1.75 mil) then they could get a good asset for a net cost of less than a million dollars. Still not perfect, but better than the other two options.

the problem with that option is that I believe that the part of the contract that the habs would pick up goes against the salary cap.... doesn't sound so attractive to me.

With the glut of FA's available why would somebody want to pay to get brisebois at 1.75? The only way that makes sense is if they can ship salary to montreal and I don't see many scenarios in which that benefits us.

[Edited on 7/24/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by simonus
Originally posted by beckham

the problem with that option is that I believe that the part of the contract that the habs would pick up goes against the salary cap.... doesn't sound so attractive to me.

With the glut of FA's available why would somebody want to pay to get brisebois at 1.75? The only way that makes sense is if they can ship salary to montreal and I don't see many scenarios in which that benefits us.

[Edited on 7/24/2005 by simonus]

If we decline Brisebois's option we have to pay him $1,000,000 (part of his contract) that will count against the cap. Would you rather keep Brisebois, and pay him 3,420,000 against the cap, or decline his option and pay $1,000,000. Myself I'll take the second option. We could re-sign him for 2 million and we're still saving $420,000 (but I'd prefer to re-sign him for less then that)

Originally posted by puck7x

If we decline Brisebois's option we have to pay him $1,000,000 (part of his contract) that will count against the cap. Would you rather keep Brisebois, and pay him 3,420,000 against the cap, or decline his option and pay $1,000,000. Myself I'll take the second option. We could re-sign him for 2 million and we're still saving $420,000 (but I'd prefer to re-sign him for less then that)

If we're keeping him, it's because he costs us less than 2M TOTAL (1M fine, 1M salary). Otherwise, we can give him his 1M and go fetch aucoin at 2M which is still a major improvment, or Nieds at 5M which is... awesome. :/)

where did you find the info about the 1M counting against the cap, I was looking for that info but couldn't find it. :bow:

i dont believe that an option buyout counts against the cap

I beleive it does. I know I heard it somewhere, I'll try to find a source.

But anyways, why shouldnt it? The NHL isnt going to allow loopholes like that, if they did teams would sign superstar players to 1 million per year longterm deals, with the last year having a declined-option payout for $10,000,000 or something. Think about it.

But anyways, why shouldnt it? The NHL isnt going to allow loopholes like that, if they did teams would sign superstar players to 1 million per year longterm deals, with the last year having a declined-option payout for $10,000,000 or something. Think about it.

One interesting thing is that it's an overall yearly cap... so that if habs would have spent 37M at the end of the season, they can go get Jagr for the playoff ( :wall: ) if Jagr's remaining salary for the rest of the season is not above 2M

Also another interesting thing (bis) from all of these hours passed in front of Tsn, Sportsnet and Rds, is that when a team buys out a contract, they have the same amount of time as was left to the contract to pay that buyoff $... ok doesn't sound perfectly clear eh? let's say Yashin has a 100M for 10 years contract (rounded numbers for easiness of calculation) that the ISL want to buy out... Well they have 10 years to pay the 66.66M buyout cost (2/3 of 100M which is the contract total) they don't have to pay it immediatly, but they will have to pay it entirely within 10 years.

[Edited on 2005/7/25 by alexstream]

that makes sense. I was pretty sure that the buyout amount couldnt be higher than the average annual salary.

[Edited on 7/25/2005 by simonus]

that makes sense. I was pretty sure that the buyout amount couldnt be higher than the average annual salary.

[Edited on 7/25/2005 by simonus]

It cant. But we're not talking about buyouts, we're talking about contracts which have a payout for declined options. :)

thats what i was talking about... i meant option buyouts

Oh, well I'm not even sure if declining an option is technically considered an "option buyout", its different from a regular buyout. Brisebois contract is just unique in that it requires us to pay him 1 million if we decline his option.