I won't miss Sisto, how about you?

JLP

I guess most of the people here can watch the Habs play -- some can go to the Big Bell and watch live, most probably watch on TV.

But for those of us far-flung souls, the only choice is internet radio, CJAD, and that has meant listening to Dino Sisto calling the action.

I never was crazy about Sisto, don't get me wrong I was happy to listen to the games, and he wasn't bad -- but he didn't sparkle, actually he made me uneasy somehow. I didn't enjoy the post-game call-in show because his attitude toward callers was often more than a little condescending and dismissive, and that sort of embarrassed me for some reason.

Anyway with the fiasco Sisto won't be back this year.

I for one won't miss him -- what about you?

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

I didn't enjoy the post-game call-in show because his attitude toward callers was often more than a little condescending and dismissive, and that sort of embarrassed me for some reason.

Yeah he was pretty harsh, but to be honest most of the callers deserved it :devil:

James from DDO is probably the most intelligent post-game caller they've got, that says it all.

"I've got to give the credit to Jose Theodore"

"They really played their heart out tonight"

[Edited on 2005-7-27 by puck7x]

"Indulging" J/DDO was one of Dino's saving graces, and I think it reflected well on the Habs fans that callers never ridiculed that. Now, colour me cynical but I always had the feeling that Dino was doing what he did with J/DDO to show what a magnanimous guy he was.

And if he was truly harassing that woman as claimed then he is the tool.

Anyone know who will be his replacement, and who will do the colour commentary?

[Edited on 27-7-05 by JeanLucPilon]

LOL srry i am confused..

i wasn't aiming it at any of you guys..and i want to explain what i meant but its kinda emmbarassing on my part because i read the post wrong..

so forget nvm lol

Never heard of he guy, never heard the guy.

I listen to CHRC, a French-language station :que: . The description is pretty good and the post-game show is as per usual... commentaries, phone-ins, etc.

The funny thing about it though is that there seems to be a pretty serious time delay between what you hear on the internet 'game' and the televised 'game'. Once in a while, for a laugh, I have it on both the computer and the TV (RDS) and I get to have Montreal score twice (and it's NOT a replay too) :clap::clap::clap::clap: .

Have you ever tried that with a televised Canadiens game? It's a riot!

:ghg:

The delay is annoying no doubt, yet I cant stand listening to the match's description as provide by RDS, actually there is no play by play description taking place on RDS,...just two guys babling on and ond and on and on and on and on and on............while the play is on. THE WORST of THE WORST.

I, for one, will miss Dino Sisto. I felt that his analysis and commentary was a cut above most other announcers especially those on HNIC. I'm not sure who his replacement will be, but he will probably be good. Murray Wilson developed into an excellent replacement for McGuire.

Amen, les Glorieux!

I find that, on the average, the French-Canadian commentators treat their viewers more intelligently than some of the English ones.

They take it for granted that the average viewer knows the game pretty well already whereas the English commentators often seem to 'talk down' to their viewers in the sense that it's taken for granted that the viewers are not that knowledgable about the game. At least that's the impression that I get having watched the game in both languages.

This is going to make me sound like an 'old-timer' but it wasn't always that way. Back in the days of Bill Hewitt, Danny Gallivan, Dick Irvin and Bob Cole the viewer was treated as one who knows the game. I wonder if today's commentators are that way in part because of the fact that our Canadian broadcasts can be seen south of the border where the game is still being learned? Or, is it part of the general dumbing down factor that's going on in the media anyways. I don't know. Hey, I could even be wrong - it's just the impression I get.

These days, I find that the best commentators are Bob McKenzie, Ron McLean & John Davidson. For them, the viewer is an intelligent person.

I enjoy watching Don Cherry but to take him seriously, well....

[Edited on 2005/8/1 by shortcat1]

the canadian broadcast is available in very few american households... basicaly HNIC in some border areas and people who have center ice. Believe me, as much as you think HNIC is dumbed down, it does not compare to watching on ESPN or especially FoxSports. To be fair both have the job of educating an incredibly uninitiated group about hockey (especially FoxSports which does all the regional coverage, much of it in nontraditional markets) but one often feels that it dumbed down to the point where fans can't immerse themselves and get into the finer aspects of the game. I sometimes wonder if there was a HNIC quality hockey broadcast in the US would the game be more popular?. .

Any sports broadcast I've ever heard dumbs it down for the fans. They have to work on the assumption viewers are complete idiots, so the dumb people know what is happening. They figure the smart fans are just there to watch the game and don't really care about commentary.

I enjoy the ESPN crew of Bill Clement, Darren Pang, and Gary Thorne. I'm also excited that the local FoxSports hired Brian Engblom to do color.

I hope that Brian didn't go to the 'How To Fill The Air With Nothing, Assinine Comments Or "He Said That?" School Of Colour Commentating'.

And yes, it would be interesting to hear the comments from a former habs.