Short but great article with Kovalev

Trizzak

http://tinyurl.com/bbgez

Translated by NSHabsfan on the Sportsnet forum:

An imposing Kovalev is only concerned about team goals

"We have a hungry club"

Mathias Brunet

La Presse

What strikes one when encountering Alex Kovalev in the corridors of the Bell Center is his new physique. The talented Russian forward was already built like an oak, and now he seems to have thickened a little everywhere...

Even his center, Saku Koivu, could not help himself from remarking on the build of his new teammate. Kovalev, who weighed 220 pounds last year, tipped the scales at 229 pounds yesterday morning.

"And yet, I haven't touched weights and dumbbells for four years," he insisted. "I train with stretching equipment in order not to lose my suppleness and flexibility. That also makes it possible to work a greater number of muscles."

Acquired at the end of the 2003-2004 season from New York in return for Jozef Balej, then re-signed as a free agent this summer, Kovalev is very eager for hockey to begin again. "We have a hungry club. There are many young players who have things to prove, and that rejuvenates me a lot. I find that exciting."

When a team-mate asks him whether he set personal objectives for this season, he looks the other right in the eyes. "The goals that I set for myself are collective and not personal. I want to take part in the playoffs with the Canadiens, and to win the Stanley Cup. Nothing else."

Kovalev has two compatriots at camp, defenseman Andrei Markov and young forward Alexander Perezhogin. He does not skimp praise with regard to Markov, who helped Moscow Dynamo to win the RSL championship last winter.

"He has all the talent in the world and showed it in the regular season and then with the national team. He is one of the best defensemen. He has very good vision and one can rely on him. He was a key element for Dynamo this winter."

Is Perezhogin likely to remain with the club according to him? "He has the talent to become the best. But he must earn his place. He has very good hands and an excellent first step. Hockey in Europe is, however, very different from here, and it must be seen how certain players manage to adjust themselves to the North American style."

He sounds really excited to be a habs, and even seems to be putting an effort into being a team player. However, if the Habs look like they won't be getting a playoff spot this year, I expect to see the old Kovalev again.

Any differing opinions out there?

Originally posted by Trizzak

However, if the Habs look like they won't be getting a playoff spot this year, I expect to see the old Kovalev again.

What's the "old Kovalev"?

Last year was weak (partly due to a terrible shooting % which can be largely attributed to luck), but in his last two full non-playoff years, the supposedly disinterested Kovy scored 32 goals and had 76 points in only 67 games in Pittsburgh, then had 37 combined goals between the Penguins and the Rangers in 2002/3. Both of those totals beat what any habs had during that period.

If that's the disinterested Kovalev, I look forward to seeing the motivated one...

Originally posted by TruthMonger

If that's the disinterested Kovalev, I look forward to seeing the motivated one...

And that's what mouthwatering about kovelov....sulking Kovy = 20-25 goals/ 45-60 points

Motivated Kovy = 30-45 goals/65-90 points

He's a monster talent!

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

Maybe Kovalev has a defeatist attitude. If things are going well he goes hard. If things are not so well then he sits in self pity.

:ghg:

I fail to see where one gets the idea that Kovalev has a defeatist attitude. The only thing I saw quoted from him that related to his attitude towards playing with Montreal is that he's reaching for the Cup. The only hint of negative had to do with Perezhogin in that Perezhogin may be a good player in Europe but he may have difficulty adaptin to the North American game.

The negative comment comes from the author of the article himself. It's Mathias Brunet of La Presse who talks about "the old Kovalev".

:ghg::ghg::ghg: