The new rules and the CH : my first impression

PB

My first advice to annyone attending a game played without the red line is to sit at the top of the red section or anywhere above.

More than ever, an eagle type view is better suited now that single plays between teamates can stretch across longer distance than before.

I can say from what I saw yesterday at the Bell that the game will be dramatiquelly different than what we are used to.

It seems that no red ligne combined with no interference leave players with no other options than to be dynamiquelly involved at all time,.. anywhere,...or you can pay the price.

It seems easier to penetrate offensivelly in the offensive zone yet it seems easier to move out of the defensive zone once in control of the puck...there is a bit of a yo-yo effect taking place...from zone to zone...attack..counter-attack...watch-out for the open-ice hit !!

ouch !!...to late.

Its more open, there is more offensive options and more traffic overall and its seems to me that indeed, the team with the highest amount of players possessing speed, skills, alertness and poise will do even better than before.

I could see Bouillon and Dandeneault acting extremelly well in this type of environment....poised, fast, efficient and able to move the play up and away. Hainsey was not as secure but he played a great game otherwise and his talents are so obvious...I hope he is not going anywhere.

Up front,.. Ribeiro was an offensive danger at all time...I could say he even had an assist on his own great goal.

Hossa was one of the better player out there,...this guy is so good along the board...he just wouldnt let go of it....great goal...great game.

Begin was one of the best too....very effective in the traffic and on killing penaltys,... probably has stopped more shots with his body in a single game than I have ever seen by any other before.

Otherwise---

Price is a good future....thanks Bob.

Vandermeer is a good addition.

Ivanans is a frighting man.

Dagenais and Perezhogin can scare a goally.

After seeing the game and some of our players, I feel more confident than ever about Julien and the guys at getting something going their way out there this year.

Thanks for the report!

Habs seem like they have a sporting chance this year. *knock on wood*

I really wish ESPN had decided to cover hockey this year, as it's the only way we can watch games down under.

Still, there've got to be highlights on the net. Anyone know the best place for those?

Obviously I hope that your assessments are accurate. Even if not bang-on in every category, my biggest hope is that the NHL will actually stick to it's commitment to this 'new NHL' that they're promoting. It would be so much better to watch than before, especially with the clutching and grabbing... man, that was frustrating.

Originally posted by ~moeman

Good stuff. Can't wait for tsn's resident Habs hater (amongst many) maguire to choke on Babs' pick of Carey Price.

[Edited on 2005/9/20 by ~moeman]

LOL He's a habs fan! He just can't show it because he's supposed to be reporting on a non-biased (read: Leaf-biased) network. *laughs* Does everyone think he hates the Habs? That's kinda funny.

Edit commentary: Why do you think he made such a fuss out of the pick the Habs made? He didn't like it - didn't agree with it - and since he thought the team he liked could have done so much better, he reacted heartily. Kind of like any habs fan would if the Habs did something they didn't like.

Second Edit commentary: Do you think he would have made such a fuss if he didn't give a crap about the team? Do you think he might have perhaps let out something closer to a laugh rather than an angry retort if he really didn't like them? Think of what we do whenever the Leafs make a mistake. We don't get mad, we laugh.

[Edited on 2005/9/20 by Guy!]

[Edited on 2005/9/20 by Guy!]

Yes ''shortcat 1'' the revised version of the game (the toughtfull result of competent GM and players) seems bang on in term of its acheivement...''enabling talents to express themselves'' without in any way taking away any other relevant aspects of the game that we cared about.

All the little changes,...the expansive extremity zones against the diminished central zone, the elimination of the red line, the goal being moved closer to the board and most important of all the zero tolerance on obstructions....create an environement in which someone could say ''the best game on earth'' without sounding way off the mark...as it was the case for the last many, many years.

I hope that all concern will unconditionned themselves from the old way, disciplined themselves and keep moving forward with this new face.

Its gona take some time thought,....believe me, those pre-saison games have a purgatory taste to them and its not a pretty scene,...28 minors where called in the last game.

Some patience will be needed for a while, any regression will be the worst option.

I think that the actual roster within the CH as an organisation is in a very favorable position to evolve nicely with the new reality...starting even as soon as this year.

For one thing, I see excellent goaltending as a paramount necessity for any success,...with Theo for three years and Price for years to come I can only smile in satisfaction.

Also, now that I have seen Dandenault at work and that I have been able to appreciate Bouillon in this new environment,..I feel pretty confident that our actual defenses will not be a problem at all this year.

And since I respect Julien for his intelligence and that I see the clear importance this year of being well guided,....well this also make me smile.

Most fascinating year to come,..I think.

Re: Bouillon.....for what its worth...I think he's under-utilised and under-appreciated by habs fans. He was one of our most consistent and steadiest D during the last season. But I have to admit, against the Big forwards along the boards and in front he can get out-muscled....still,he brings so many positives otherwise, I think he should have the 5/6th spot.....unless of coarse someone outplays him for it ! At least Julien truly makes players earn their spots and seems open minded enough to make fair and objective evaluations. With so many spots up for grabs this year I'm the most excited I've been about the Habs for years !!