TSN's performance ratings = Markov is cold

shortcat1

Every once in a while, when I want to check out for some info on a player in the NHL, I go to the TSN's NHL player's pages ( http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/ ).

Some players are given 'performance ratings. Of those that have a performance rating, some are considered 'hot' and some are considered 'cold'. Most, though, don't have a performance rating.

As a curiosity, I checked Andrei Markov's page and I found out that Markov is COLD. The reasoning is that he has 0 points in the last 4 games.

Seems kind of weird to be evaluating a player's performance based only on that criterion. I suppose that this info is for hockey pool purposes but I don't really know.

Here is Markov's info page: http://www.tsn.ca/NHL/teams/players/bio/?i...e=nhl-canadiens

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

1962 - Very quiet year - went to Old Orchard Beach in Maine with my family

[Edited on 2005/10/21 by shortcat1]

That shows that the TSN writer/editor is only looking at statistics, and not the right ones. Markov has been leading the Habs defence so far this season, and TSN should have noticed his ice time stats. He's been a great leader and it's a matter of time before he starts increasing his offensive stats.

i doubt that the editors are actively evaluating the players. This is not a case of anti-montreal bias. I'm sure that the hot/cold marks aredone by an automatic computer evaluater. As you say, it seems to measure position-player "hotness" by point production. They should probably alter their algorithm such that +/- is more important for defensive players. These kinds of overarchin g algorithms are very difficult to make. Do you try to create one general metric or do you try to tailor it to differenttypes of player. Certainly we define a Sundstrom hot streak quite differently than a Kovalev hot streak, but they are both right wingers... so how do you set up the algorithm to pick it up. thn.ca also does hot/cold rankings, they also say that markov is cold.

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey...thchart.cgi?Mtl

WWhy bother wasting your time reading there garbage. I wont read their site or watch the channel. Biased Leaf fans are idiots so why waste your time. Sorry about the rant by I am sick and tired of these guys.

[Edited on 2005/10/20 by johnnyhasbeen]

bingo, johnnyhasbeen. about the only reason to go to tsn is to see what the enemy is talking about.

I really wouln't read too much into this. It just seems to be a simple hot/cold point production meter (the only thing stated after "cold" or "hot" is the number of points in the last few games).

No crime here. Don't think the aim was to create a sophisticated system of evaluation of all parts of a players game or to have an editor full time (and overtime) constantly updating all players. Just a simple point production evaluator which can be nice for those keeping hockey pools.

Originally posted by les_glorieux

NO! IT'S THE LEAF NATION SECRETLY TRYING TO NOT MAKE ANYONE USE HABS PLAYERS FOR THEIR HOCKEY POOL! THEY SAY MONTREAL ONLY HAS COLD PLAYERS! ###### THE LEAFS AND PIERRE MAGUIRE!

:) All agaisnt us. Look around. All of them. They are all against us!!!!!

Originally posted by simonus

just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you. :/)

Good reply:/) They may well be after me after all, just don't think they are reflecting that though number 79 in this instance.

Originally posted by ~moeman

Nothing but leafarazzi shilling.

HEy I hope everyone on here realizes tht the Toronto Maple Leaf fans are only a product of their fantasy environment. Toronto, centre of the universe is in reality a fantasy zone for hockey. They say they know hockey when in reality they know only little bits of Leaf hockey that is spoon fed to them from their fantasy stations.

TSN, sportsnet, The Score, The Fan, 640AM, 680news all would be profitless if they did not have the Stanley Cup champion team every year to talk about. :lol:

The flock have been perfectly trained to jump off cliffs when told, and buy Leaf merchandise on the way down with a quick cell phone call.

Now they are talking about all the free agents they are going to sign next year, yet what happened to this year?

The Habs in real life deal with the hand that is dealt them. Montreal will improve every year with good drafting and free agents that will come here to win a championship.

The LEafs will sign more aging veterans in order to make the flock think they are doing something next year but that is next years fantasy....

[Edited on 2005/10/20 by Howie_Morenz]

Originally posted by Rooster
Originally posted by les_glorieux

NO! IT'S THE LEAF NATION SECRETLY TRYING TO NOT MAKE ANYONE USE HABS PLAYERS FOR THEIR HOCKEY POOL! THEY SAY MONTREAL ONLY HAS COLD PLAYERS! ###### THE LEAFS AND PIERRE MAGUIRE!

:) All agaisnt us. Look around. All of them. They are all against us!!!!!

You guys ARE kidding, aren't you? Gosh, I hope so. :eyes::eyes::eyes:

1963 - memorable year - 1st year as a teenager - went to Cape Cod with parents in August, saw JFK at a mass in Hyannisport - he died 3 months later

[Edited on 2005/10/21 by shortcat1]