A note on patience

Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Hossa is going to disappear in about 20 games. Trust me. He did the same in Montreal. I remember he was called up and had like 5 goals in 10 games and then didn't score again in the next 10. There was no room on the roster for Hossa just like there is no room for Dagenais. Only mistake Gainey made was not shipping Dags along with him to NY.

Originally posted by kaos

Do you really think your going to see Dagenais in a shootout when you have Kovalev, Koivu, Ribeiro, Ryder, Zednik, Bonk, Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanac and even Bulis ahead of him? Yeah I think not.

We'll see. I am sure that if Dagenais is dressed in a game ending with a shootout that he will be one of our first 3 shooters. The only reason the guy is in the league is because of his shot. He and Kovalev were our best two shooters in pre-season shootouts,

Regarding Bullis, as much as I like him, I don't think he will be taking many shootouts. He has great speed, good hustle but very little finish. After the last game lots of people here were picking him for 1st star partly because he had 3 breakaways. I think this is a common error. Getting 3 breakaways and missing them all doesn't really help. If a goalie were to give up 3 breakaway goals we'd be calling for his head. Every breakaway is a potential goal either way. Although goalies have the edge on a breakaway I think a competent forward should score on at least 40% of clear breakaways.

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by Peter Puck]

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

These people who are despairing over Hossa's good showing are exactly the sort that got me starting this thread---i.e., those who jump to conclusions based on a few games. Remember, Hossa played several good games when he first came up with us. That doesn't make him a star. If I were you, kaos, I'd stick those Hossa rookie cards in my bike spokes and move on :lol:

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!]

Actually, Roo-Ah! Roo-AH I was agreeing with you but everybody ignored my main points in favor of my throw away line about Hossa. To clarify... I am not upset about the Hossa trade because he is having a few good games but rather because his potential is still much higher than either murray or Dags. Without wishing Hossa ill I hope that this trade becomes a wash...I cant see how it can be a win for us but, then thats why Bob's in charge.

I replied to your post because I too get tired of knee-jerk reactions based on the short-term. Despite our deficiencies the team is playing very well and any trade could well be counter-productive(unless of course BG gets an offer of a decent player or a draft pick for Dags):)

Even in Dags case, I still think he can be an effective goalscorer, but I'm not so sure he's going to do it in Montreal.

Just as I posted this I heard Dags score on the delayed broadcast I'm listening to.

[Edited on 2005/10/26 by PMAC]