Crosby rookie of the month

les_glorieux

Originally posted by jetsniper

Man, it's obvious what we're saying isn't getting through to your little pea-brain. I give up. For all bragging rights, you "win" this argument. If you can even call it that.

Pea brain eh, now your getting down to name calling. You use the term we when your stating your opinion, what are you the voice for everybody on here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I don't appreciate being put down by a snot nosed 18 year old for expressing mine. You haven't been on this planet long enough to appreciate what talent is let alone comment on it. I can understand now why you talk in circles

[Edited on 2005/11/5 by olematelot]

[Edited on 2005/11/5 by olematelot]

You obviously haven't existed on HW long enough to know that this is a message board, not your house. If you want to yell about Crosby go on PensWorld not HabsWorld.

This is our argument:

Crosby > Ovechkin

BUT

Ovechkin is outplaying Crosby

Just like how Rucinsky is outplaying Lecavalier. It's a bit of surprise, I know, but it happens.

Crosby is a great player, maybe one of the best in history but right now he is not the best player in history nor is he playing like the best. Ovechkin however, is playing very well. Ovechkin will be a great player but not as good as Crosby.

There were games where Crosby was the best player on the ice.

There were games where Ovechkin was the best player on the ice.

Ovechkin is carrying his team on his back.

Crosby is just another joe next to Mark Recchi and Mario Lemieux.

If you don't understand that then maybe we should find someone to speak your opinion for you.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Just like how Rucinsky is outplaying Lecavalier. It's a bit of surprise, I know, but it happens.

To tell you the truth, I'm glad that Lecavalier didn't decide to come to Montreal.

He's overpaid and I don't think he'll ever become what he can be. What he would give to the team certainly isn't 'worth' the salary that he would have asked from Bob Gainey.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Gainey wouldn't pay Lecavalier more than he's paying Kovalev. And Lecavalier wouldn't except anything less than 6.75M. It's pretty sad that someone can reject millions of dollars to fulfill their dream so that they can instead get a couple more million playing hockey on the beach.

Gainey wouldn't pay Lecavalier more than he's paying Kovalev. And Lecavalier wouldn't except anything less than 6.75M. It's pretty sad that someone can reject millions of dollars to fulfill their dream so that they can instead get a couple more million playing hockey on the beach.

What do you know about what went on this summer in Lecavalier's mind.

First of all, its his agent that got him this money. Second, he was a restricted free agent, so he and Gainey never even had a discussion.

Third, I don't blame a guy for resigning with the team that he just won a Cup with.

Fourth, he admitted that with the uncertainty of the new CBA and the money that Tampa was offering that it was impossible for him to refuse. He had no guarantee that Gainey wanted him next year.

Fifth, he's proving that he's worth that money this year. Did you even bother to look at his stats. He's got 17 points and 9 goals in 14 games and he's +7 !!!

Can Kovalev say the same? Not even close.

Sixth, he will be 29 years old at the end of his contract...he will be in his prime and his market value will be well established by then, so he could come to Mtl for 2009 which also coincides with the Habs 100th anniversary...that would be a nice gift to the fans for their 100th anniversary :)

So yes Gainey would pay him more then Kovalev. Lecavalier was offered 6.75 millions by Tampa, he never said that he wouldn't accept anything less. And he also admitted to his father that he would play for the Habs eventually (Bertrand Raymond had a big article about it in the Journal de Montréal).

Please be respectfull of such a good hearted player that will probably become the Habs #1 center in 4 years from now. How can you bash a guy who accepted to sign with the team that drafted him, developed him and brought him a Cup:?-

Lecavalier has all my respect for doing so :/)

Also, I don't know why you hate Tampa Bay and their players so much, except maybe the fact that you thought this summer that Lecavalier would sign for Mtl next year and now you're just frustrated.

I remember before the season started that you were saying that Tampa Bay had no team this year, that Grahame was a joke, that losing Khabibulin was huge, and that replacing Stillman by Prospal was a joke...and I was saying the complete opposite.

Well here's me laughing at you now. Grahame is having a great season, Tampa Bay has one of the lowest goals against average in the league, Khabibulin is a joke in Chicago, and Prospal is even better then Stillman :lol:

Get real Bulis_the_Habbie, Tampa is for real and Lecavalier, at 25 years of age, is one of the best centers in this league.

I didn't say Kovalev deserves 7M. Not one player in the league deserves $7M. No one deseerves 4.5M either. The highest paid player in the league should not get more than 1 million. That's more than a lot of people make in their lifetimes. But since in profesisonal sports, athletes get paid millions I think that in the NHL only Martin Brodeur, Scott Niedermayer and Martin Brodeur deserve 6 million dollars. Kovalev should be somewhere from 3.5-4M and Lecavalier 4.5M because he has more potential. I don't want Lecavalier on my team not only because he didn't take the 1-year deal but because he's greedy. It's not his fault that he got offered 7M but I'm sure they were talking for a long time before he took that. It's a lot more than he deserves and he would never accept a ocntract that suits his talents. He's the worst of Tampa's Big 3 no matter what the numbers.

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Also, I don't know why you hate Tampa Bay and their players so much, except maybe the fact that you thought this summer that Lecavalier would sign for Mtl next year and now you're just frustrated.

I remember before the season started that you were saying that Tampa Bay had no team this year, that Grahame was a joke, that losing Khabibulin was huge, and that replacing Stillman by Prospal was a joke...and I was saying the complete opposite.

Well here's me laughing at you now. Grahame is having a great season, Tampa Bay has one of the lowest goals against average in the league, Khabibulin is a joke in Chicago, and Prospal is even better then Stillman :lol:

Get real Bulis_the_Habbie, Tampa is for real and Lecavalier, at 25 years of age, is one of the best centers in this league.

I still don't see how you're laughing at me. Tampa Bay is second in their division to a team eevryone (probably you included) thought would miss the playoffs. You said Tampa would win the Conference and be Contenders again.

Khabibulin is playing very bad but he's definitely much better than Khabibulin. I don't know a single person who would say Grahame is better than the Bulin wall. From the games I've seen Grahame is garbage. He goes down way too early and only blocks shots because of his size. He has no talent.

Prospal is having a good start to the season. I was wrong there but Stillman is definitely better than Prospal any way you look at it. Stillman is a big part in why Carolina's ahead of Tampa this year (next to Staal). Even St Louis was demoted to the third line for a bit. Prospal is getting points but because he has good linemates (yes Vinny is good just not worth his salary). Like jetsniper said about Crosby: "Even a monkey could get an assist when playing on a line with Mario Lemieux and Mark Recchi."

It's not that I hate Tampa (though I do dislike them) but I just think they are no longer ocntenders for the Cup. Watch them finish below the Habs in the standings. There's a very good chance they rematch in round one this year (4th vs 5th).

I didn't say Kovalev deserves 7M. Not one player in the league deserves $7M. No one deseerves 4.5M either. The highest paid player in the league should not get more than 1 million. That's more than a lot of people make in their lifetimes. But since in profesisonal sports, athletes get paid millions I think that in the NHL only Martin Brodeur, Scott Niedermayer and Martin Brodeur deserve 6 million dollars. Kovalev should be somewhere from 3.5-4M and Lecavalier 4.5M because he has more potential. I don't want Lecavalier on my team not only because he didn't take the 1-year deal but because he's greedy. It's not his fault that he got offered 7M but I'm sure they were talking for a long time before he took that. It's a lot more than he deserves and he would never accept a ocntract that suits his talents. He's the worst of Tampa's Big 3 no matter what the numbers.

Thank you for making my point even clearer. You definetly have a gruge against Lecavalier for saying the thing you say. Maybe a little maturity will make you see clearer one day.

First of all, lets discuss in today's world and reality which is that pro athletes make millions. Yes, blablabla, they don't deserve it and we all agree with that but its not how it is. Lecavalier is worth more then Kovalev, there's no point arguying there.

Tampa offered him the big contract because they knew and felt that they could lose him to Mtl, not because Lecavalier asked for it. How could you even say that he's the worst of the Big 3 in Tampa? Ask any GM in the league and given the choice, they would take Lecavalier in a heart beat. Grow up man and stop being frustrated because he didn't come to Mtl.

He's not greedy, he's dedicated to the team that drafted him, developed him and brought him a Cup...now that's respect. Maybe you'll understand when you're older. Also, the guy as been living there for 7 years and he as established him self there. Again, maybe you'll understand when you're older.

Also, prepare your self for his arrival, because he will be coming here in 4 years. The funny thing is I'm sure that you will be the first one to jump up and down when he does.

I agree that paying him 7 millions was a lot based on is past performances, but he is proving this year that he's worth it. If you hate him because he's overpaid, then you must also hate Theo, Bonk, Souray and at least another dozens of players in the league. You think Iginla is worth is 7 millions thus far? And Khabibulin ?

You mentionned Niedermayer, but apparently he's not playing up to his status and salary level in Anaheim either. Look at Brodeur's stats, think those are worth 7 millions ?

Honestly, grow up a little and stop bashing Lecavalier because he didn't try to come to Mtl. He deserves better then that.

I still don't see how you're laughing at me. Tampa Bay is second in their division to a team eevryone (probably you included) thought would miss the playoffs. You said Tampa would win the Conference and be Contenders again.

Khabibulin is playing very bad but he's definitely much better than Khabibulin. I don't know a single person who would say Grahame is better than the Bulin wall. From the games I've seen Grahame is garbage. He goes down way too early and only blocks shots because of his size. He has no talent.

Prospal is having a good start to the season. I was wrong there but Stillman is definitely better than Prospal any way you look at it. Stillman is a big part in why Carolina's ahead of Tampa this year (next to Staal). Even St Louis was demoted to the third line for a bit. Prospal is getting points but because he has good linemates (yes Vinny is good just not worth his salary). Like jetsniper said about Crosby: "Even a monkey could get an assist when playing on a line with Mario Lemieux and Mark Recchi."

It's not that I hate Tampa (though I do dislike them) but I just think they are no longer ocntenders for the Cup. Watch them finish below the Habs in the standings. There's a very good chance they rematch in round one this year (4th vs 5th).

The Bulin wall is a myth and a joke. Look at that guys stats over the years and you will see that is always been average or just above average. I know that 2 years ago is far away and that you were very young, but Khabibulin was having a crap season (he's season stats are not thatv great), he was benched for a while and Tampa didn't know what to do with him anymore. They even started to shop around for another goalie at one point. He finally started to play well at the end of the season and yes had amazing playoffs, but that doesn't make him the great Bulin wall. Have you watch a Blackhawks game so far, probably not, because he has been plain horrible. He has the worst stats of all starting goalies in the leagye thus far..the worst, not one worst then him. I'm not saying that Grahame is amazing but he's a very good replacement to Khabibulin and his presence doesn't make the team weaker.

As for Carolina, I'm sure you didn't see them there either, but they have the 3rd best record in the NHL, only 1 point behind Ottawa in the East, so its not a shame to be behind them. Tampa is 5th right now, which is not bad and there's still a lot of hockey left before the end of the season. They will probably not finish before Ottawa, so 2nd in the conference. Still better then the barely making the playoffs spot you gave them. Trust me, they will finish ahead of Carolina.

I never said that Stillman is not good, and simply mentionned that Prospal is a very good replacement and he is having a better season this year then Stillman and is on pace to be better then Stillman when he played with Vinny.

They certainly are contenders like any team that will make the playoffs. You say that we might face them because they will finish 5th and us 4th, does that mean that the Habs are not contenders too?

All I'm trying to say is that you bashed Lecavalier for no apparent reasons, except childish frustrations. All I'm asking for is more respect for a very good player that will probably be our #1 center in 4 years. All your arguments about money could be said about Theo (only had 1 good half season and he's paid a fortune), but I don't see you bashing him... Actually, Lecavalier is at least proving that he deserves that money, what has Theo proven this year?

It's true, Theo is overpaid. Souray is overpaid. Bonk is overpaid. I don't want to have Souray on my team if he's making that money because we can easily find better players for his salary. Same for Theo and Bonk. So I don't want Vinny on my team for as long as he's asking for anything near 7M. I can find better players for 5M and less.

There are a lot of people on this site would agree that Richards (Conn Smythe) and St Louis (Art Ross) were more important to Tampa last year then Lecavalier. Lecavalier finished with one more point then Ribeiro in one more game. Is Ribeiro better than Richards and St Louis?

And I don't dislike Vinny because he's staying in Tampa. I dislike him because he's way overpaid, I don't like his style of play and I don't like his attitude.

In 4 years, Vinny won't be our #1 center. He won't even be playing for us. First of all, he'll be in his prime and only want more money and his salary's bad enough as it is. Also, he might have kids by then and might not want to move.

One of the reasons why I dislike Tampa Bay is because they were pretty overrated last season. They were in a joke of a division. Florida, Atlanta, Washington and Carolina were all at the bottom of the league. That's free wins and free stats to their snipers. That's why they ended up in first. After that, it gets easy because they faced the easy Islanders in the first round and the 7th seed Habs in the second round. They were lucky the Habs upset the Bruins for them. After another won series (the first against a real team) they went to the Stanley Cup Finals. Luckily for them, the 6th seed Calgary Flames lucked into them. And Calagry took them to 7 games before a narrow 1-goal win in Game 7.

Prospal is on good pace but look at Befin's numbers. Does that mean he'll be a 30-goal scorer this year. Darcy Tucker has good numbers so far this season. Will he end up with 60-70 points? Of course not, it's just a good start.

And Khabibulin has bad stats because he played most of his career with bad teams like Pheonix. Yet this is his first time over 3.00 since he became a starter in '95. He hasn't been under .900 since his rookie season (.895) and hit .910 in each of his past five seasons. He put up pretty good numbers in Tampa last year even though Tampa had mediocre defence. Now he's back on a losing team so expect him to lose. He'll have a bad year but Luongo has had inflated GAA in Florida. But he's obviously a great goalie.

The point is I don't want anyone on my team who gets 7M or even 6M so Vinny has better learn to take a paycut if he ever wants to play i his homeland.

trust the shortcat to throw in an irreverence:

Which brodeur is new jersey's # 1 goalie? martin or martin? ;):D

and another twins question... Which Khabibulin are we talking about here? Nikolai or Nikolai? :D:D:D

You obviously haven't existed on HW long enough to know that this is a message board, not your house. If you want to yell about Crosby go on PensWorld not HabsWorld.

This is our argument:

Crosby > Ovechkin

BUT

Ovechkin is outplaying Crosby

Crosby is a great player, maybe one of the best in history but right now he is not the best player in history nor is he playing like the best. Ovechkin however, is playing very well. Ovechkin will be a great player but not as good as Crosby.

There were games where Crosby was the best player on the ice.

There were games where Ovechkin was the best player on the ice.

Ovechkin is carrying his team on his back.

Crosby is just another joe next to Mark Recchi and Mario Lemieux.

If you don't understand that then maybe we should find someone to speak your opinion for you.

I don't need anyone to speak my opinion for me little boy and if I want to talk about Crosby on this part of the board it's OK because it's the NHL Talk part of the board. From what I have read of your posts you know little of what your talking about but of course thats lack of experience little man. As far as Crosby being another joe, I guess if leading

your team in points and also being in the top ten in the league qualifies him as just another Joe then so be it. Imagine he's doing all this and he's only 4 years older than you, think about it

[Edited on 2005/11/6 by olematelot]

It's true, Theo is overpaid. Souray is overpaid. Bonk is overpaid. I don't want to have Souray on my team if he's making that money because we can easily find better players for his salary. Same for Theo and Bonk. So I don't want Vinny on my team for as long as he's asking for anything near 7M. I can find better players for 5M and less.

There are a lot of people on this site would agree that Richards (Conn Smythe) and St Louis (Art Ross) were more important to Tampa last year then Lecavalier. Lecavalier finished with one more point then Ribeiro in one more game. Is Ribeiro better than Richards and St Louis?

And I don't dislike Vinny because he's staying in Tampa. I dislike him because he's way overpaid, I don't like his style of play and I don't like his attitude.

In 4 years, Vinny won't be our #1 center. He won't even be playing for us. First of all, he'll be in his prime and only want more money and his salary's bad enough as it is. Also, he might have kids by then and might not want to move.

One of the reasons why I dislike Tampa Bay is because they were pretty overrated last season. They were in a joke of a division. Florida, Atlanta, Washington and Carolina were all at the bottom of the league. That's free wins and free stats to their snipers. That's why they ended up in first. After that, it gets easy because they faced the easy Islanders in the first round and the 7th seed Habs in the second round. They were lucky the Habs upset the Bruins for them. After another won series (the first against a real team) they went to the Stanley Cup Finals. Luckily for them, the 6th seed Calgary Flames lucked into them. And Calagry took them to 7 games before a narrow 1-goal win in Game 7.

Prospal is on good pace but look at Befin's numbers. Does that mean he'll be a 30-goal scorer this year. Darcy Tucker has good numbers so far this season. Will he end up with 60-70 points? Of course not, it's just a good start.

And Khabibulin has bad stats because he played most of his career with bad teams like Pheonix. Yet this is his first time over 3.00 since he became a starter in '95. He hasn't been under .900 since his rookie season (.895) and hit .910 in each of his past five seasons. He put up pretty good numbers in Tampa last year even though Tampa had mediocre defence. Now he's back on a losing team so expect him to lose. He'll have a bad year but Luongo has had inflated GAA in Florida. But he's obviously a great goalie.

The point is I don't want anyone on my team who gets 7M or even 6M so Vinny has better learn to take a paycut if he ever wants to play i his homeland.

Finding a better player ten Lecavalier at 5M$ is almost impossible, but there are a few. Don't forget that Lecavalier is still just 25 years old and will improve in the next 3-4 years. As for you not wanting this guy or that guy, well sorry but last time I checked, Bob was still our GM, and based and some of your comments, I'm glad its not you.

Funny how you still refer to last year's stats when its clearly no longuer applicable in the new league. Throw away any prior stats as they meen absolutely nothing anymore. They (St-Louis & Richards) were more important last year but the quality of a good GM is to evaluate the future, not the past (which is why I'm glad your not our GM because you relly wat too heavily on prior stats), and Lecavalier will be the best from now on.

As for the other people on this site, nothing against them but none of them are working for an NHL team, I'd rather trust what other GMs have to say.

As for Vinny not playing for us in 4 years, there are no guarantees in life, but I'm damn sure that he will be. As for asking more money, good because he will be in his prime and if he's asking more money the, it will mean that he's one of the top players in the league (already his in the top 10 in my opinion). Don't forget that there's a cap and you can only pay a player 20% of the cap, so he won't be able to ask much more:guru:

As for him having kids, it actually supports him coming back:guru: Say he as a kid in 2 years, that means he will be 2 in 2009. Perfect for him to com back to Montreal to learn is roots and french. Don't forget that Lecavalier is from Montreal and proud of it and so his is girlfriend, and again, if you were old enough, you would understand that they probably want to raise their kids here, near family and friends.

Man, you don't know what you're talking about. Its only this year that teams are playing 8 games vs. their division teams, being in a weak division 2 years ago had little impact on the standings, but then you were just 12 and probably don't remember.

As for Khabibulin stats, again, you're looking at them as if they were from an NHL like this year but they are not. Khabibulin is a slightly above average goalie, nothing more. The most overpaid player in the league.

As for you not wanthing a player making 6 or 7M on our team, well luckily for us, you don't get to make those decisions :clap::clap::clap:

Honestly, try and be more accurate and fair in your analysis of other teams and players. Who knows, maybe Lecavalier will gladly not ask the maximum he can get to come and play here in 2009:?-

You keep refering to him as a greedy bum when he's far from being that. In the new NHL, he will kick ass. He's big, strong, fast and very skilled, nobody can stop this guy under the new rules. As much as I like Koivu, he won't be a #1 center in 4 years, so we have to start looking at the future. Lecavalier with Latendresse, I'm already druling at the idea...

Originally posted by olematelot

No one's arguing thta Crosby isn't good. We're saying Ovechkin is, at the moment, playing better.

Why, because he has scored more goals. Your argument that Ovechkin is playing better just doesn't hold water:ghg:

So then we disagree. That's all.

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Finding a better player ten Lecavalier at 5M$ is almost impossible, but there are a few. Don't forget that Lecavalier is still just 25 years old and will improve in the next 3-4 years. As for you not wanting this guy or that guy, well sorry but last time I checked, Bob was still our GM, and based and some of your comments, I'm glad its not you.

Funny how you still refer to last year's stats when its clearly no longuer applicable in the new league. Throw away any prior stats as they meen absolutely nothing anymore. They (St-Louis & Richards) were more important last year but the quality of a good GM is to evaluate the future, not the past (which is why I'm glad your not our GM because you relly wat too heavily on prior stats), and Lecavalier will be the best from now on.

As for the other people on this site, nothing against them but none of them are working for an NHL team, I'd rather trust what other GMs have to say.

As for Vinny not playing for us in 4 years, there are no guarantees in life, but I'm damn sure that he will be. As for asking more money, good because he will be in his prime and if he's asking more money the, it will mean that he's one of the top players in the league (already his in the top 10 in my opinion). Don't forget that there's a cap and you can only pay a player 20% of the cap, so he won't be able to ask much more:guru:

As for him having kids, it actually supports him coming back:guru: Say he as a kid in 2 years, that means he will be 2 in 2009. Perfect for him to com back to Montreal to learn is roots and french. Don't forget that Lecavalier is from Montreal and proud of it and so his is girlfriend, and again, if you were old enough, you would understand that they probably want to raise their kids here, near family and friends.

Man, you don't know what you're talking about. Its only this year that teams are playing 8 games vs. their division teams, being in a weak division 2 years ago had little impact on the standings, but then you were just 12 and probably don't remember.

As for Khabibulin stats, again, you're looking at them as if they were from an NHL like this year but they are not. Khabibulin is a slightly above average goalie, nothing more. The most overpaid player in the league.

As for you not wanthing a player making 6 or 7M on our team, well luckily for us, you don't get to make those decisions :clap::clap::clap:

Honestly, try and be more accurate and fair in your analysis of other teams and players. Who knows, maybe Lecavalier will gladly not ask the maximum he can get to come and play here in 2009:?-

You keep refering to him as a greedy bum when he's far from being that. In the new NHL, he will kick ass. He's big, strong, fast and very skilled, nobody can stop this guy under the new rules. As much as I like Koivu, he won't be a #1 center in 4 years, so we have to start looking at the future. Lecavalier with Latendresse, I'm already druling at the idea...

If Lecavalier is worth whatever salary he asks for then that's fine. But he's not worth what he's making now and he will only get better meaning he will PROBABLY want more money in the future.

It's hard to build a team when one player takes up a 5th of your cap room. Even if it's Wayne Gretzky, how can you build a Stanley Cup winning team when you can afford one great plaer, a couple of good one's and the rest are marginable players. Look at the Leafs. They give Sundin a ton of money. They give Belfour a ton of money and then they had to dump all their players and they're going to drop a few spots in the rankings this season. If we got Vinny today, what would we do? We'd have to get rid of Souray, Bonk, Rivet and maybe someone else just to fit him into our roster. Is he going to help us more than all the players we have to get rid of to fit him. I like having 4-5M to work with not being stuck at 39 mill.

Yeah, Koivu won't be a number 1 center in 4 years but there are a lot of amazing centers in the league and a lot more coming in the next 4 years. Not all of them are overpaid. Hopefully Vinny won't be.

And no, I'm not Bob Gainey, nor am I a hockey expert but since neither are you or anyone else on this site. I'm just giving my amateur opinion and it doesn't have to be perfect. If we agree on eevrything what's the point of message boards?