Crosby rookie of the month

les_glorieux

Ovechkin had better stats but Crosby made some great end-to-end passes and drew 6 penalties in one game.

But I'm still rooting for Ovechkin to win the Calder just to shut the Crosbymania up.

Ovechkin will win the Calder even if crosby scores 15-25 more points then him. I believe this beacuse of the suporting cast that Crosby has in Pittsburgh compared to the one that Ovechkin has surrounding him in Washington.

How do you guys put those pictures under your name for each post??? HELP PLEASE

I agree with JMMR, it would make SENSE for Ovechkin to win even if Crosby outscores him, but this latest report of Crosby being the rookie of October frightens me a little. Does anyone else get the feeling that Crosby will win no matter what in order to "promote" the game?

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Ovechkin had better stats but Crosby made some great end-to-end passes and drew 6 penalties in one game.

But I'm still rooting for Ovechkin to win the Calder just to shut the Crosbymania up.

BTH I am with you on this rooting for Ovechkin.

Too much Hype for me!

51594342.mad.gif

Crosby will win because he's the best rookie hands down. Lets not forget that Ovechkin played 2 years of pro in Russia and is 20 vs Crosby 18. For those of you tired of the hype get used to it cause your going to be hearing it for many years to come. I can't believe Canadians hoping for a Russian to win over a Canadian, you couldn't have been around in 72. As for the stats, it isn't all about stats, I've seen and also read game reports where it was said Crosby was the best player on the ice for either team.

[Edited on 2005/11/3 by olematelot]

Originally posted by olematelot

Crosby will win because he's the best rookie hands down. Lets not forget that Ovechkin played 2 years of pro in Russia and is 20 vs Crosby 18. For those of you tired of the hype get used to it cause your going to be hearing it for many years to come. I can't believe Canadians hoping for a Russian to win over a Canadian, you couldn't have been around in 72. As for the stats, it isn't all about stats, I've seen and also read game reports where it was said Crosby was the best player on the ice for either team.

Wow, fanboy enough? I too think Ovechkin should get it just based on what both players have surrounding them. Crosby has the most points but 90% of it is assists. A monkey can get an assist when you have guys like Recchi, Leclair, Lemieux and Malone to put the puck in the net for you. And the Pens still aren't winning.

Meanwhile, Ovechkin has the support of....Jeff Friesen? And he's scored almost a third of the entire team's goals. If anyone is carrying his team on his back, it's Ovechkin. He's more physical then Crosby and right now, is the better player. I'm not "hoping" for Crosby to lose. Anyone who is, is just being immature. I'm hoping they ignore the hype and award it to the best rookie out there. Which, as of right now, is Alexander Ovechkin.

As out of place as this may seem, I don't understand why Julien isn't letting his rookies play more to get more experience. I imagine that he believes that he's probably giving them growing time or making sure the Canadiens ice the best team possible or something else.

I look at how Perezhogin did with his 1st line experience and he certainly looked like a good fit.

I understand that Plekanec is struggling with confidence but still, one doesn't get that by playing on an irregular basis.

Also, I don't expect that Higgins would have a shot at the Calder because he doesn't have that high-scoring flash that Ovechkin, Crosby and others have. He's just an outstanding all-round player.

Still, I do believe that the first two of these are legitimate dark horses especially considering their work ethic.

Aside from that, I'll have to go, for the moment, for Ovechkin as the prime candidate for the Calder. Keep in mind that the season is only a dozen games old. There's still another 70 games to go. A LOT CAN HAPPEN in that time... much can change.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Um.........

Yes this Canadian was around in '72 and I was enthralled with the Canadian team. (Which I voted for; loved Bob Clarkes ankle Hack)

Your point about my Canadian status would be???????????

51594332.what.gif

Originally posted by les_glorieux

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141725&hubname=

So Crosby (11gp 2g 11a -3) got the honours, although Ovechkin (11gp 5g 8a +1) probably should have got it. ;)

The Award's TSN report stats are different than yours, it says...

Crosby is, 14 points in eleven game with 2 of them being goals.

Ovechkin is, 13 points in eleven game with 8 of them being goals.

If those are accurate numbers it would be easy to decide as to which of the players is deserving most this Award.......its not fair-play...it stinks.

Originally posted by jetsniper

Wow, fanboy enough? I too think Ovechkin should get it just based on what both players have surrounding them. Crosby has the most points but 90% of it is assists. A monkey can get an assist when you have guys like Recchi, Leclair, Lemieux and Malone to put the puck in the net for you. And the Pens still aren't winning.

Meanwhile, Ovechkin has the support of....Jeff Friesen? And he's scored almost a third of the entire team's goals. If anyone is carrying his team on his back, it's Ovechkin. He's more physical then Crosby and right now, is the better player. I'm not "hoping" for Crosby to lose. Anyone who is, is just being immature. I'm hoping they ignore the hype and award it to the best rookie out there. Which, as of right now, is Alexander Ovechkin.

Ovechkin is a sniper I'll admit, but as far as an all round player goes Crosby is better. As far as a monkey being able to set up certain players, give me a break, thats lame. At seasons end when its all said and done it will be Crosby who'll be without any doubt the Calder winner, while the others who will have their ups and downs throughout the year he'll perform at a consistent high level as he has since he was a little boy. Don't give me this Ovechkin is more physical crap, you obviously haven't watched Crosby much at all, the kid isn't afraid to get his nose dirty and does whatever it takes to help his team.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Um.........

Yes this Canadian was around in '72 and I was enthralled with the Canadian team. (Which I voted for; loved Bob Clarkes ankle Hack)

Your point about my Canadian status would be???????????

51594332.what.gif

No slight on your Canadian status, my apologies if I offended you:can:

Did any of you see some Pittsburgh games? Forget that crosby's just 18, forget the hype, forget the great one liked him even before we knew him, forget he's just coming out of junior and just watch the #87 penguin player play. this kid's great. He isn't out of place playing alongside lemieux, recchi, .., give the kid a break. Give them both a break. Just enjoy both kids showcasing there skills. Have fun!

[Edited on 4-11-05 by mathieug]

[Edited on 4-11-05 by mathieug]

Originally posted by PB

So Crosby (11gp 2g 11a -3) got the honours, although Ovechkin (11gp 5g 8a +1) probably should have got it. ;)

If those are accurate numbers it would be easy to decide as to which of the players is deserving most this Award.......its not fair-play...it stinks.

So what your saying is goals count more than assists, then why don't they award 2 points for a goal. I always thought hockey was a team game and an assist was every bit as important as a goal, after all the scorer in most cases wouldn't have been able to score unless someone passed him the puck. It's called a scoring race not a goal race and the winner every year always has more assists than goals

Ovechkin is a sniper I'll admit, but as far as an all round player goes Crosby is better. As far as a monkey being able to set up certain players, give me a break, thats lame. At seasons end when its all said and done it will be Crosby who'll be without any doubt the Calder winner, while the others who will have their ups and downs throughout the year he'll perform at a consistent high level as he has since he was a little boy. Don't give me this Ovechkin is more physical crap, you obviously haven't watched Crosby much at all, the kid isn't afraid to get his nose dirty and does whatever it takes to help his team.

I know he isn't. I'm saying Ovechkin does it more often. Crosby doesn't go looking to lay out the big hit, Ovechkin does. And I MIGHT have watched a Crosby game or two </sarcasm> And paired with the PLAYERS on that team, a monkey can. Read the whole damn thing, it's a figure of speech. Put me on a line with Recchi and Lemieux...hell, I could end the season with about 40-50 points. 2 goals, 48 assists. :P

Holy shit, we aren't saying Crosby sucks. We're saying Ovechkin is the better player RIGHT NOW. Get off his jock and deal with it. We know Crosby is good but Ovechkin is displaying more talent right now. It's like shortcat said, the season is barelyly 12 games in so everything could change. Thats why this whole discussion is stupid, wait until March or something people.

Originally posted by PB

So what your saying is goals count more than assists, then why don't they award 2 points for a goal. I always thought hockey was a team game and an assist was every bit as important as a goal, after all the scorer in most cases wouldn't have been able to score unless someone passed him the puck. It's called a scoring race not a goal race and the winner every year always has more assists than goals

The Calder is neither a scoring race nor a goal race,....dont forget that the winner could be a goalie as well.

The reaction to the first monthly Award of the season as showned that peoples here are conscerned about the fairness of this choice and all the arguments you have used thus far to get us back in line have been.....well......very lightly thought-out.

Entertaining...yet failling to had-up insofar as being able to convince me about the serousness of this monthly selection.

Those posts here are not about Crosby's worth as a hockey player but about this month's Award selection.

Right. Lundqvist, Labarbera, Ward and Lehtonen all have equally large chances of winning the Calder. Especially since they all look to be on very improved teams. If a horrible team does well with a rookie goalie then the goalie is a favourite for the Calder.

I know he isn't. I'm saying Ovechkin does it more often. Crosby doesn't go looking to lay out the big hit, Ovechkin does. And I MIGHT have watched a Crosby game or two </sarcasm> And paired with the PLAYERS on that team, a monkey can. Read the whole damn thing, it's a figure of speech. Put me on a line with Recchi and Lemieux...hell, I could end the season with about 40-50 points. 2 goals, 48 assists. :P

Holy shit, we aren't saying Crosby sucks. We're saying Ovechkin is the better player RIGHT NOW. Get off his jock and deal with it. We know Crosby is good but Ovechkin is displaying more talent right now. It's like shortcat said, the season is barelyly 12 games in so everything could change. Thats why this whole discussion is stupid, wait until March or something people.

Sorry, Oveckin isn't the better player right now and how many games have you watched Ovechkin play to say he goes looking for the big hit and what talent is Ovechkin displaying more of, goal scoring? well then Crosby is showing more talent as a playmaker. Yes lets wait until March then I can officially say I told you so

Originally posted by PB
Originally posted by PB

The Calder is neither a scoring race nor a goal race,....dont forget that the winner could be a goalie as well.

The reaction to the first monthly Award of the season as showned that peoples here are conscerned about the fairness of this choice and all the arguments you have used thus far to get us back in line have been.....well......very lightly thought-out.

Entertaining...yet failling to had-up insofar as being able to convince me about the serousness of this monthly selection.

Those posts here are not about Crosby's worth as a hockey player but about this month's Award selection.

Well I guess then that the people who hand out these awards don't know what they're talking about and we should take them all for a grain of salt.