Above and below expectations,...which player topped your list ?

PB

The player that have surprise me most positively is Rivet. I think he is playing the best hockey of his career and even more noteworthy is the fact that this is happening in a year when the new rules as challenged each and every defence players in this league.

His solid play as been a great contributor in the team's success so far,...specially in light of Souray's sub-performances and an un-ready player like Streit in the line-up.

The fact that Markov love to be paired with him and that he is one of the few players ready to defend his teammates makes him now a real valuable asset for the team.

The player I am most desapointed with so far is Souray.

Why ? Mostly because we know he can do better. I understand that his successful tought style approach in defence as been extremelly challenged with the NewRetro NHL but I realised that he is having a tought time offensivelly as well... and as weekened our power-play expectations in the process.

At last, Julien I think, is starting to use more alternatives on the power-play with better results.....so this could be a good opportunitys for Rivet and Bouillon and an appropriate situation for Souray to concentrate on improving his play back in the zone.

I am shure he will play solid defence and stop taking penalties fairly soon and if he failed at regaining the offensive touch he had last season, he could always compensate it by becoming even more of a police force that he as so far......one way or the other would assure him a particular status in the team-league.

Above expectations: Bouillon. He has played very well, and most importantly, has been consistent. He was somewhat of a question mark heading into training camp (some wondered if Hainsey/Streit would bump him down to Hamilton), but he's proving that he's not only better, but among the Habs top d-men.

A close second is Begin.

Below expectations: agree with Souray.

A close second, in my books: Ribeiro. He's improving, but I thought he'd do better in the new NHL.

Above = Begin. Lovely to see a projected 4th liner play better than most players on the team.

Below = Souray. I knew he would suffer some from he new rules but this much? Luckilly Bouillon stepped up as much as I thought.

Above:

Begin, sure I knew he was awesome, but he's been even better than that for us recently... he's a true Gainey player.

Higgins: I really thought he'd be a 4th liner all year, but I get excited everytime Julien teams him w/ Ryder and Ribs.

Rivet: He's been my favorite Habs D-man for years now... glad to see he's making things happen w/ Markov this year... seems like he's got a lot more comfidence right now.

Below:

Souray: Maybe it's personal troubles messing up is game, or maybe it was all just too much hype. He's trying to play a Scott Stevens type of game out there... someone better let him know the only thing they've got in common are initials.

Streit: I really though he'd be lighting it up for the Habs by now... who knows, maybe he still will, but with the way the other guys have been playing, it will take an injury to get Streit some regular minutes.

Ribiero: Have to agree that I thought he'd be doing a ton better in this new NHL... but damn, he's not as fast as I thought.

Theodore: Sure he had some technical problems at the beginning, but he's got to start stealing some more games, and stop leaving it up to our offense to win it in the dying seconds. (Sure one could argue that the entire team lets up w/ the lead... and they'd probably be right)

Plekanec: He was killing it in pre-season... but it seems that his comfidence is blown or something now... sure he shows bits of brilliance... but nothing near what I expect from him. (I choose to blame Dagenais)

Rotting in hell: Dagenais... 'nuff said.

[Edited on 7/11/05 by Macaskill]

You guys who have answered so far are pretty well where I'm at.

Pleasant surprises are Steve Bégin, Sundstrom and Rivet.

The disappointments are Souray and Ribeiro's whole line.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I feel Youppi is doing average too. I.m.o. he should be pesking around more .. I tell you he should use that Hockey stick like a bat and smack the oppents on the head whenever a chance!

Few of you mentioned Rivet, I'm also impressed with Perezhogin, Begin (of course!) and Higgins, but my vote goes to the Cube. From depth D to a smart, steady guy who has excelled with the new rules.

On the not-so-good side, Theo has sucked for majority of his games, so has Souray. Unimpressed with Bonk and Streit, but it's still way early.

I want to add Kovalev as having surprised me. I have really been impressed with his hard working attitude and his determination. We all knew he had a ton of talent but I was worried he might start floating at the first sign of difficulty. It has been exactly the opposite.

I'd also put Danis in as a pleasant surprise.

On the downside, I have to agree that Theodore has been struggling much more than I expected.

Edit: spelling

[Edited on 2005/11/8 by Peter Puck]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Above:

Rivet, Bouillon, Begin, Danis

Below:

Souray, Theo (at the start), Bulis, Bonk

Bulis the Habbie picks Bulis as a disappointment? I thought he's played quite well. Perhaps his year in Europe increased your expectations for offensive production?

it's still early but, heck, ok,

above: chris higgins & olivier michaud. Michaud is the go to guy in hamilton. Look at his backup. Deslauriers is a huge talent. Kovalev. Yeah admit it, you all expected him to get such a big impact on this team early on. Yeah, we all expected that.

below: Sheldon Souray? Give him a break. He doesn't deserve to get booed here. Mathieu Garon.

Garon!... have to agree w/ you there. I was one of those people claiming that he was going to be a great starter for LA... so much for that. It's still early of course, so you never know, he might snap out of his slump...

Guess Montreal got the best of that trade.

Originally posted by Macaskill

Garon!... have to agree w/ you there. I was one of those people claiming that he was going to be a great starter for LA... so much for that. It's still early of course, so you never know, he might snap out of his slump...

Guess Montreal got the best of that trade.

I'm not sure on that, but if Garon doesn't snap out of that ugly streak in a couple of weeks, I'll send a petition to Mr. Gainey to get him back. He's an amazing goalie, perhaps one of the best sound technically right now in the league. He doesn't belong on a bench, maybe on a bench under a palmtree during summer, but not during winter.

I figure, the best way to see who won that trade would be to see how good Huet really is as a backup.

I agree that Garon should be playing, but his 'Back-up' Labarbera is playing some inspired hockey. I figure Garon will have to ride the pine just a bit more until (and if) Labarbera starts to slow down.

Maybe Garon is feeling a bit homesick... i mean, LA is pretty much on the other side of the 'NHL' continent from Montreal.

Here's hoping he can win his spot back :/)

Under the cap though, there really wouldn't be much reason for Montreal to bring him back... plus we've got a ton of younger and talented goaltenders in the pipeline.

+ :

-> BEGIN : who else? haha he's our warrior)

-> DANIS : yeah~ impressed me with his calm and focus capability

-> MARKOV : he's leading our defense line!!!

-> RIVET : used to criticize him a lot but he's formin a top defense pair along with markov~ very impressive this year!!!

-> KOVALEV : lots of people doubted about gainey signing kovy for 4 years... worrying that kovalev wont be present in every game, blablabla... kovy prove that he wanted to play in montreal and wanna win in montreal!!!

- :

-> *sigh* DAGENAIS : i think everyone knows why

Special mention : I LOVE OUR ROOKIE LINE :) maybe they r not a crosby or a ovechkin, but i dunt care, coz they r hard workers and this is good for their improvement

NOTE : we should all re-post in this thread at the middle of the season... MAYBE dagenais will be in the *+* section instead of the *-* ? :eyes::eyes: hehe