Kovalev to undergo surgery Tuesday in Pittsburgh

Topgun19

ohhhhhhhhhhhh man. this really sucks, the habs are no where near as scary without kovalev. i see us as about a 6-4 out of every 10 games without him, so bye bye first place in the east for this year:(

but life goes on---------:ghg:

as long as he comes back healthy, i'm not too concerned.

playoffs... that's what counts and we'll be geared up for them!

This SUCKS

Let's hope Koivu's leadership will shine through here.. Zhogs will get another shot on the top line with Saku, Higgins stays on the second. Hopefully Bulis will be back he will really help and if anybody is struggling we can give him a shot at a more offensive role.

Is there any possibility of Lats getting an emergency call up role to fill IN? just curious given all the injuries, i was wondering how it works between junior and the NHL anybody know?

wow this news is absolutely horrible. With Kovalev out of the line-up I think you'll see lines like this:

Zednik-Koivu-Perez

Higgins-Ribeiro-Ryder

Sundstrom-Bonk-Bulis

Plekanec-Begin-Dagenais (**shudder**)

However, does anyone think Gainey might make a move now instead of later. If he already planned on making some moves this season maybe Kovy's injury is the incentive to go out there and make the move now.

Don't think it would be wise to make a move to replace Kovalev for a few weeks this early in the season. Kovalev going down really hurts, but he should be back before we even hit mid-season. Doesn't make sense to me to deal for another forward simply to replace Kovalev for his time out. The Habs have plenty of forwards, if there is any area where they would need to improve via trade is at the blue line. I think the Habs just have to weather this one out. Thank God for our forward depth, but Kovalev's absence will hurt the team while he is out. We'll miss both his offensive production and the pressure he attracted from other teams leaving his linemates with more room to move. Hopefully Perezhogin will once again demonstrate strong 1st line play.

Originally posted by Rooster

Don't think it would be wise to make a move to replace Kovalev for a few weeks this early in the season.  Kovalev going down really hurts, but he should be back before we even hit mid-season.  Doesn't make sense to me to deal for another forward simply to replace Kovalev for his time out.  The Habs have plenty of forwards, if there is any area where they would need to improve via trade is at the blue line.  I think the Habs just have to weather this one out.  Thank God for our forward depth, but Kovalev's absence will hurt the team while he is out.  We'll miss both his offensive production and the pressure he attracted from other teams leaving his linemates with more room to move.  Hopefully Perezhogin will once again demonstrate strong 1st line play.

I agree. This will give Perezhogin more ice time, which he desperately needs to continue his development. I think Kovalev's been hurting the last few games, as he didn't seem to have as much jump - but still managed to produce.

We're fortunate to be in a good spot, standings-wise. Time for the other guys to pick it up.

Originally posted by Mont Royale
Originally posted by Rooster

Don't think it would be wise to make a move to replace Kovalev for a few weeks this early in the season.  Kovalev going down really hurts, but he should be back before we even hit mid-season.  Doesn't make sense to me to deal for another forward simply to replace Kovalev for his time out.  The Habs have plenty of forwards, if there is any area where they would need to improve via trade is at the blue line.  I think the Habs just have to weather this one out.  Thank God for our forward depth, but Kovalev's absence will hurt the team while he is out.  We'll miss both his offensive production and the pressure he attracted from other teams leaving his linemates with more room to move.  Hopefully Perezhogin will once again demonstrate strong 1st line play.

I agree. This will give Perezhogin more ice time, which he desperately needs to continue his development. I think Kovalev's been hurting the last few games, as he didn't seem to have as much jump - but still managed to produce.

We're fortunate to be in a good spot, standings-wise. Time for the other guys to pick it up.

Agree this is no time to panic, if our success depends on one player then were're in trouble, as the old saying goes 1 player does't make a team, granted Kovy is a big part but now it's time for some others to pick up the slack. This team is deep enough that they'll get through this ok

Maybe Kovalev's absence will light a fire under this team's collective ass and they might actually play a full 60 minutes many games in a row.

The injury bug has hit hard; Kovalev, Bulis, Bonk, Zednik, Ivanans, and players battling the flu, and it's not even 1/4 through the season yet!