Shhh Saku' Stick

CoRvInA

Perhaps this has been talked about before my appologies if so!

Earlier in the season does anyone remember when they pictured Koivu after the whistle jumping back into the ice to pickup his blade after shattering his stick on an earlier shift?

Koivu using an illegal stick? or blade?

:/)

I'm sure every single team has at least a couple or more players flirting with illegalities... I'm sure you all agree that dopping is far worse than an extra 4 mm on the curve of a blade!

On a side note ....I still recall the penalty we induced and later scored on back in 86 when we accused an opponent in the dying minutes that later proved to be a winning move and won the day and EVENTUALLY the CUP for us!

:ghg:

[Edited on 2005/11/17 by CoRvInA]

If that is so, maybe the Kings have been waiting since 93 till the last few minutes of their upcomming game in Montreal to call Koivu to task and win the game on the PP.

Shhh it's a secret! Don't tell anyone! ...and especially don't post it up on the internet for the whole world to see!

Our secret's safe with you, Corvina.:hlogo:

YESS SHHH SECRET' SAFE!!:bow::/)

Yeap PB!! thats exactly right ...Now that I think about it he skated out very fast so the ref wouldnt have to go through the trouble of returning it for him .. Sak's such a nice guy!

Originally posted by CoRvInA

YESS  SHHH  SECRET' SAFE!!:bow::/)

Yeap PB!!   thats exactly right ...Now that I think about it  he skated out very fast so the ref wouldnt have to go through the trouble of returning it for him .. Sak's such a nice guy!

Refs would never initiate the measure on a stick. I don't ever remember that happening. It must be requested by the opposing coach. So ... I think Saku would have picked it up to prevent the other team from scoping it out.

lrw

[Edited on 2005/11/17 by lrw]

Originally posted by guizz

well the team could pick it up, see if it's legal or not, and if it was illegal, ask the ref to measure his stick on his next shift.

Yes that was my point also.

Fan since '71!

Anybody with any kind of sense that plays with an illegal stick knows that you change sticks in the third period, when most coaches resort to the stick measurement minor. Most players can tell by eye who's using a banana blade. In fact, I believe there was one player, Petr Nedved I think, who used to tape his stick in such a way that it made it look like it was illegal. When an opposing coach as to measure his stick, the curve was legal, and Nedved's team won the game.

Originally posted by RobRock

Anybody with any kind of sense that plays with an illegal stick knows that you change sticks in the third period, when most coaches resort to the stick measurement minor.  Most players can tell by eye who's using a banana blade.  In fact, I believe there was one player, Petr Nedved I think, who used to tape his stick in such a way that it made it look like it was illegal.  When an opposing coach as to measure his stick, the curve was legal, and Nedved's team won the game.

I've heard many a commentator refer to the 93 cup final and the (in)famous illegal stick call. The fact that most players change their 3rd period stick now was instigated by that incident and is just another Canadiens mark on hockey history.

My favourite mark would have to be how the PP rules were changed in the 50s to allow the penalized player out of the box after an opposing goal. They had to change it because Montreal's man advantage was simply too strong.

They dont beacuse if the player can change sticks quickly to a legal one and the challenge is incorrect you get a double minor. So you would have to do it while the player was far enough from the bench. It is a tough call and you just never know its a huge risk.

Originally posted by JMMR

They dont beacuse if the player can change sticks quickly to a legal one and the challenge is incorrect you get a double minor. So you would have to do it while the player was far enough from the bench. It is a tough call and you just never know its a huge risk.

I believe you only get a minor for delay of game. Sakus' stick isn't illegal to begin with, next time they show a close up of him taking the face off you'll see it has very little curve in it.

My guess is that, with the new CBA, Saku is just being financially conscious and doesn't want to buy something he can salvage. With the 24% reduction in wages and the subsequent discovery that another 12% or so was going into escrow, surely we rich normal folks can understand why a player would want to save a few bucks for his next car payment.

:D

Facetious.

Seriously, I believe that a player gets used to a blade and if it's salvageable, he grabs it to put on the next shaft. It's actually not as rare as you might think: I've seen more than a few people over the last few years retrieving their blades. Remember, the players shape these sticks themselves, so each one is individual. When he broke it, he was on quite the point barrage - I know I'd go out and retrieve it!!

As to Saku using an illegal stick? I highly doubt it. Generally blades are made illegal in order to improve a shot, and Sax still only has an average one. Kovalchuk, I can understand, but my money is on Koivu having a legal stick.

Originally posted by olematelot
Originally posted by JMMR

I believe you only get a minor for delay of game. Sakus' stick isn't illegal to begin with, next time they show a close up of him taking the face off you'll see it has very little curve in it.

It's not only the curve of the blade they measure, but the height as well. But the coach has to be specific in what part of the stick he wants measured, the curve or height of the blade.