Email to Bettman regarding Saturday's game

bbr93

I just sent an email to gary bettman about the officiating in Saturday's game against the laffs, in which the Habs were blatantly screwed.

this is the email i sent him, just thought i would let you fellow habs fans read it:

Hello,

I am writing in regards to the abortion of a game called by four very poor excuses for NHL officials on Saturday night (November 26), in a game between the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.

The four "officials" in question; Kevin Pollock, Dean Warren, Derek Amell, and Brad Kovalchik

performed their duties with an inexplicably low level of profesionalism.

In the second period, Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov scored a goal despite being aggressively (and obviously) hooked by Toronto defenseman Tomas Kronwall. "Referee" Kevin Pollock, in a mind-boggling display of poor officiating, decided that not only should the goal not be allowed, but that Kronwall should not be penalized for the blatant hook.

Pollock cited "incidental contact" as the reason for not allowing the goal. So a player being hooked for several seconds until he collides with the goaltender after the puck crosses the goal line is incidental contact. Is this what you had in mind for "the new NHL" ?

Later, at the conclusion of the third period - A period in which a great deal of obstruction on both sides, including at least two hooks by Toronto player Bryan McCabe, was ignored - Montreal defenseman Craig Rivet was penalized for swatting the puck away from a Toronto player.

I would just like to know what the NHL will do to discipline these officials for their incredible lack of competence and inconsistency.

Thank you

Some 2 years ago I sent Gary Bettman an email about getting a hard cap in place limiting team's payrolls at 39 mil for the first year. I told him this would probably lead to a labour dispute which would cause the league to shut down for a year, but that if upon return he adopted changes to the game, like strict enforcement of the rules, reduce goaile equipement sizes, abolish red line, make offensive zones bigger, add shootout, etc. the fans would come back and the game would be better.

I tell you, he personally reads these emails and they work!!! :)

Sorry for the sarcasm....I understand where the frustration comes from.

[Edited on 2005/11/28 by Rooster]

Originally posted by Rooster

I less than 2 years ago I send Gary Bettman an email about getting a hard cap in place limiting team's payrolls at 39 mil for the first year.  I told him this would probably lead to a labout dispute which would cause the league to shut down for a year, but that if upon return he adopted changes to the game, like stick enforcement of the rules, reduce goaile equipement sizes, abolish red line, make offensive zones bigger, add shootout, etc.  the fans would come back and the game would be better.

I tell you, he personally reads these emails and they work!!!  :)

LOL :lol: obviously i don't expect bettman to do anything about it. I'm sure he will delete my email without a second thought. Just letting him know what i think and letting of a little steam. I'm still pissed about that game. :mad:

Originally posted by Rooster

Some 2 years ago I sent Gary Bettman an email about getting a hard cap in place limiting team's payrolls at 39 mil for the first year.  I told him this would probably lead to a labour dispute which would cause the league to shut down for a year, but that if upon return he adopted changes to the game, like strict enforcement of the rules, reduce goaile equipement sizes, abolish red line, make offensive zones bigger, add shootout, etc.  the fans would come back and the game would be better.

I tell you, he personally reads these emails and they work!!!  :)

Sorry for the sarcasm....I understand where the frustration comes from.

[Edited on 2005/11/28 by Rooster]

So, it was YOU that cost us the lost season! I'LL CUT YOU!!

:mad:

Originally posted by Mont Royale

So, it was YOU that cost us the lost season! I'LL CUT YOU!!  

:mad:

You don't scare me Ryder. Watch out in the parking lot after next practice. I've got your number boy.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who was totally disgusted by the actions of the refereeing in that Saturday game.

Not to mention the total impartiality on the parts of both Bob Cole and Harry Neal in their play by play. They make me sick ... CBC is supposed to be our nations network. Bad enough we have the (T)oronto (S)ports (N)etwork ... I usually watch the Habs on RDS but for the sake of others in my household who don't understand french, I am subjected to the CBC Lafs network once in a blue moon when the Habs play Toronto.

Originally posted by HABS721

Glad to see I'm not the only one who was totally disgusted by the actions of the refereeing in that Saturday game.

Not to mention the total impartiality on the parts of both Bob Cole and Harry Neal in their play by play. They make me sick ... CBC is supposed to be our nations network. Bad enough we have the (T)oronto (S)ports (N)etwork ... I usually watch the Habs on RDS but for the sake of others in my household who don't understand french, I am subjected to the CBC Lafs network once in a blue moon when the Habs play Toronto.

Oh, we were disgusted. Read the game thread from that night... I think I hyperventilated.

Oh, you're far from the only one, HABS721.

I think you mean 'bias' when talking about Cole and Neal, and you're absolutely right. Neal in particular was ridiculous in his dismissal of the Markov goal, and the penalty to Rivet. His opinions made Don Cherry's look reasonable, which isn't easy. And, I love the way he starts talking about the Leafs without mentioning them by name, on a national broadcast. "Well, they've played back to back games..." - it's only when he mentions Carolina that we realize he's referring to the Leafs (like there was any doubt). :nono:

Originally posted by bbr93

I just sent an email to gary bettman about the officiating in Saturday's game against the laffs, in which the Habs were blatantly screwed.  

this is the email i sent him, just thought i would let you fellow habs fans read it:

Hello,

I am writing in regards to the abortion of a game called by four very poor excuses for NHL officials on Saturday night (November 26), in a game between the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.

The four "officials" in question; Kevin Pollock, Dean Warren, Derek Amell, and Brad Kovalchik

performed their duties with an inexplicably low level of profesionalism.

In the second period, Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov scored a goal despite being aggressively (and obviously) hooked by Toronto defenseman Tomas Kronwall.  "Referee" Kevin Pollock, in a mind-boggling display of poor officiating, decided that not only should the goal not be allowed, but that Kronwall should not be penalized for the blatant hook.

Pollock cited "incidental contact" as the reason for not allowing the goal.  So a player being hooked for several seconds until he collides with the goaltender after the puck crosses the goal line is incidental contact.  Is this what you had in mind for "the new NHL" ?

Later, at the conclusion of the third period - A period in which a great deal of obstruction on both sides, including at least two hooks by Toronto player Bryan McCabe,  was ignored - Montreal defenseman Craig Rivet was penalized for swatting the puck away from a Toronto player.

I would just like to know what the NHL will do to discipline these officials for their incredible lack of competence and inconsistency.  

Thank you

Something I found the most amazing is that the refs didn"t go upstairs. I thought it was required of a ref to go upstairs if the goal light goes on. Also, if Markov hindered Belfour from getting the puck in any way, it should have been goaltender interference against Markov. There's no such thing as goaltender interference without a penalty. I heard there was no officiating supervisor in the crowd. I never heard of that term before but supposedly there should be one in the crowd for every game but there weren't any in the ACC that night.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

[

Something I found the most amazing is that the refs didn"t go upstairs. I thought it was required of a ref to go upstairs if the goal light goes on. Also, if Markov hindered Belfour from getting the puck in any way, it should have been goaltender interference against Markov. There's no such thing as goaltender interference without a penalty. I heard there was no officiating supervisor in the crowd. I never heard of that term before but supposedly there should be one in the crowd for every game but there weren't any in the ACC that night.

I was also surprised they didn't go upstairs. Shocked, actually. I don't think the ref is required to, because he wasn't saying the puck didn't go in. It was called back because of contact with the goaltender, i.e. a judgement call. A review upstairs would have established that most of the contact with Belfour was by Kronwall, and he had knocked Markov into the net. No use letting the facts get in the way of a Leaf win, though.

the nhl will have to do something about the referee incompetance maybe fire a couple would help. I think they are getting mixed messages about what is a penalty. when you call a penalty at 20:00 in regulation you had better be right, they weren't! i dont care what bob and harry the bobo twins think.

I think you mean 'bias' when talking about Cole and Neal, and you're absolutely right. Neal in particular was ridiculous in his dismissal of the Markov goal, and the penalty to Rivet. His opinions made Don Cherry's look reasonable, which isn't easy. And, I love the way he starts talking about the Leafs without mentioning them by name, on a national broadcast. "Well, they've played back to back games..." - it's only when he mentions Carolina that we realize he's referring to the Leafs (like there was any doubt). :nono:

Cole was once the best play-by-play man in hockey when he was actually travelling around the country and doing games in a bunch of different Canadian cities. Neal I've never liked, ever. Both are now senile old fools.

Cole is starting to remind me of Foster Hewitt from when Hewitt was old and senile... he no longer acknowledges that there are two teams playing the game instead of one. If you listen to HNIC with your eyes closed, you'd think the Leafs were having an intersquad scrimmage. Go watch the highlights on canadiens.com, and you'll hear Cole scream "WHAT A SHOT BY KABERLE!"... after Théo made a highlight reel glove save. It's embarassing.

Actually meant to say "lack of impartiality" ... but yep, bias would work too ...

[Edited on 2005/11/28 by HABS721]

Originally posted by option+

"The Markov Riot"?  Doesn't have the same ring to it...

[Edited on 2005/11/28 by option+]

Ok.. how about?

The Markov Mob

The Markov Melee

The Markov Massacre

The Markov Manslaughter

The Russian Riot

The Russian Rumble

The Russian Revolution

The Andrei Armageddon

The Andrei Apolcalypse

If those all fail, we can always resort to "Punch-A-Leafs Fan" Day! Oh, I wish it came more than once a year...

:hlogo:

I think in the game thread I was beyond P%^$%#%$^$ED!

I think I should send a Christmas Card to each official with the Toronto Maple Leaf Logo on it with big hugs and kisses from Dainty Domi and Timid McCabe.

That was a very biased officiated game and really ruined the rivalry. Facts are, Toronto cannot defeat anyone without help from Stripes. Tonight against Florida for example I watched grab after grab by Leaf players and no penalties. Toronto then goes in on a break and scores. Blatant Bias again.

Motto for next LeafNAZI game, expect refNAZI to be biased so be more carefull when:

Sneezing.

Shooting puck at Belfour.

Passing.

Stepping on the ice.

Blocking shots.

Line Changes.

Watching the puck.

Crossing blue line or red line.

All the above is a penalty call against Montreal.

[Edited on 2005/11/29 by Howie_Morenz]

Originally posted by option+

Go watch the highlights on canadiens.com, and you'll hear Cole scream "WHAT A SHOT BY KABERLE!"... after Théo made a highlight reel glove save.  It's embarassing.

I was pissed off when I heard him say that. That's poor description. Not only it is biased, but how can you say something like that ! Never heard an announcer say something as stupid as that:wall:

Im from Alberta and do not speak or understand french, and I also watch all of the habs games on RDS even when habs and the maple laughs are on CBC. Can not stand more then 5 min listening to those 2 morons....