~ Thornton a Shark!!! ~

~moeman

''To get a player of this caliber, you have to give up something to get something. You would make this trade last month, this month or next year.''

- San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson on acquiring Joe Thornton.

Here's a TSN link because there's no source up here yet.

Thornton A Shark

EDIT: Not much of an article but it's a source. The Broons gain 2.66M in cap space if that counts for anything.

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a ridiculous deal.

Just like with the Ottawa trade earlier, I do believe that the Sharks won this one.

The Sharks got a franchise player (when he wants to be) and the Bruins got a two average players (Sturm & Primeau) & one above-average player (Stuart).

On the whole, a dumb move by the Bruins unless one of their prime purposes was to dump some salary. Even then... :eyes:

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

''To get a player of this caliber, you have to give up something to get something. You would make this trade last month, this month or next year.''

- San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson on acquiring Joe Thornton.

Here's a TSN link because there's no source up here yet.

Thornton A Shark

Thanks for the link Bulis_the_Habbie. I noticed "Your Call" feedback was up for less than 5 minutes. Must of been overloaded with LeafNAZI fans saying how come we couldn't trade Berg straight up.:)

Originally posted by Peter Puck

The Bruins have traded Thornton to San Jose for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau!!!

To me this smacks of panic in Boston. I think SJ won this trade.

Edit: spelling

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by Peter Puck]

No kidding! and then some. That would be something like Montreal trading Koivu away to some other team for three third liners.

All I can say on Boston's behalf is YUCK!

SJ was looking for a scoring center so it was them who went to Boston. I doubt Boston ever had any intention of trading Thornton. He must have just been dragged into it. He should have shopped him around.

ok... i just wanna know WHY this BOSTON thread is in the HABS section???

it should be in the NHL section~~~~

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by Peter Puck

The Bruins have traded Thornton to San Jose for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau!!!

To me this smacks of panic in Boston. I think SJ won this trade.

Edit: spelling

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by Peter Puck]

No kidding! and then some. That would be something like Montreal trading Koivu away to some other team for three third liners.

All I can say on Boston's behalf is YUCK!

Hi shortcat1, can we quote you on "YUCK"? It really does sum up what what I think of the trade. Bruin fans though probably have tougher words.:)

SJ was looking for a scoring center so it was them who went to Boston. I doubt Boston ever had any intention of trading Thornton. He must have just been dragged into it. He should have shopped him around.

It should jump start San Jose.

While the three players they traded are quality, they have enough depth to get buy.

Thornton upgrades over Primeau (both centres). They have youngsters like Goc, Michalek, and Dimitrakos who could step up in Sturm's place. They have depth on the blueline with Hannon, McLaren, Ehrhoff, Preissing. And not to mention Nabokov and Toskala in goal. I think this turns there season around. WATCH OUT FOR THE SHARKS!

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz
Originally posted by bebehabs

ok... i just wanna know WHY this BOSTON thread is in the HABS section???

it should be in the NHL section~~~~

A good question. My answer would be OOOPPPSSS....

Yep. My bad. :?- But this does (temporarily) keep "Habs talk" as the forum I most often post in.

I think this trade hurts both teams. The Sharks might have a lot of depth but that's what the habs said before they lost Kovalev.

They lost a top 6 forward and an energizer for a top 3 forward. That's an upgrade but then they lost a top 3 d-man who was actually #2 just behind Scott Hannan (who himself isn't the best #1 d-man in the league). I don't see how this will help out San Jose. They lose their team and gain Thornton (playing with his brother:D). If the prospects didn't produce before what makes you think they will now?

And it's obvious why this hurts Boston.

Best player always wins you the deal. eg. Alyn McAuley in SJ. Also, did anyone else see sh!TSN's pee-air go all egotesticle and make the trade about himself. One last thing, Thnx Tampa. sh!TSN couldn't bail out of there fast enough. Someone should call the CRTC because their domi commercial is false advertisement. The turtling slug guarantees victory.

My friend's a Bruins fan. I got the satisfaction of telling him on MSN. His response "ok" and then he probably went to go cry in a corner. 1 down, 3 to go. Let's go Habs!