Ted Nolan Back In The Nhl ?

JMMR

TSN.ca Staff with files

12/25/2005 5:52:13 PM

The Buffalo News reports that Moncton Wildcats head coach Ted Nolan has inquired about the coaching vacancy with the New Jersey Devils left by Larry Robinson.

"I'm always interested in coaching in the National Hockey League because I think I'm good enough to be there," he told the newspaper. "To leave the situation I'm in now would be tough, but I know I can coach."

Nolan hasn't coached in the National Hockey League since guiding the Buffalo Sabres in the 1995-96 and 1996-97 campaigns. In his second season in Buffalo, he led the team to a strong regular season and won the Jack Adams Award for coach of the year.

The QMJHL's Wildcats hired Nolan in April as head coach and director of hockey operations. Moncton also has a berth in the 2006 Memorial Cup as the host city.

Prior to his NHL tenure, Nolan served as head coach of the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds for six seasons.

Nolan grabbed hockey headlines for all the wrong reasons last week, as he was victimized by junior hockey fans in Chicoutimi who hurled racial slurs on his Ojibwa background and continued to taunt him as the team boarded its bus outside the arena. The Sagueneens issued an apology on their team website.

Robinson stepped down from the Devils last Monday, citing stress and health concerns. Devils president and coach Lou Lamoriello is coaching the team while searching for a replacement

I don’t know about how other people feel about this guy but in my opinion he is one of the greatest active coaches available. When he was fired after winning the Jack Adams trophy it was a disgrace to hockey and the Buffalo Sabres organization. It was a shame this had to occur. If Nolan is offered the reigns to the Devils look out for a huge turnaround in their less than mediocre start to the season and by next year this team will be firing on all cylinders. Truly I hope Lamoriello realizes the potential of Nolan and gives him the job he deserves it more than any other candidate.

You can't win the Jack Adams and then be fired and ignored for near 10 years.. There are things we surely don't know. But why shouldn't he get a second chance to redeem himself if he did something wrong? Can't think about what he could have done to be banned for life..

From what I remember he was fired when a new owner bought the Sabres I believe they did not like Nolan when they met him and thus he ultimately met his demise. Also I am not trying to imply the most management in the NHL is racist but he is Native and I imagine it is just that much tougher for him to be considered.

I believe Nolan should have never been without a job for more than a half season. He is an amazing coach that has a coaching style similar to the way the devils are built.

"Nolan hasn't coached in the National Hockey League since guiding the Buffalo Sabres in the 1995-96 and 1996-97 campaigns. In his second season in Buffalo, he led the team to a strong regular season and won the Jack Adams Award for coach of the year.

The QMJHL's Wildcats hired Nolan in April as head coach and director of hockey operations. Moncton also has a berth in the 2006 Memorial Cup as the host city.

Prior to his NHL tenure, Nolan served as head coach of the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds for six seasons. "

He was the native guy that took the buffalo sabers from a crappy team to a steller defensive club with hasek and won the jack adams. He later got fired and was a UFA coach. Lots of teams passed him up for example calgary who went with Sutter as well as Quinville and Babchuk moved teams and Ted Nolan got passed over.

"Nolan hasn't coached in the National Hockey League since guiding the Buffalo Sabres in the 1995-96 and 1996-97 campaigns. In his second season in Buffalo, he led the team to a strong regular season and won the Jack Adams Award for coach of the year.

Prior to his NHL tenure, Nolan served as head coach of the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds for six seasons. "

He was the native guy that took the buffalo sabers from a crappy team to a steller defensive club with hasek and won the jack adams. He later got fired and was a UFA coach. Lots of teams passed him up for example calgary who went with Sutter as well as Quinville and Babchuk moved teams and Ted Nolan got passed over.

I remember the huge rumours that Nolan was going to be head coach of the Flames, I was getting really excited considering the crap like Hay and Gilbert that was coaching the team at the time.

I've heard that Teddy's was a "BAD BOY" in Buffalo and has been blacklisted ever since.

Whatever the reason is why he hasn't had a job since must be very serious because as he has proved he is one helluva coach at every level he has coached. Something just doesn't seem right about this whole situation.

He IMO would be a perfect guy to have in MTL.

If I remember correctly, in the media at the time, Nolan was shown to be a player's coach who defended his players in the face of criticism by his superiors.

His conflicts with the GM & ownership were stuff of headlines in the sports media and Nolan didn't refrain from making his position clear in the media.

Maybe the fact that he isn't a guy to yea-say the corporate line (somewhat of a rebel) made him and still makes him a hot potatoe.

I wonder how he worked with the GM & ownership of the Wildcats?

Here's a shot in the dark. It might be interesting for Gainey to hire him to work as an assistant coach either in Hamilton or in Montreal itself to see how he could work with the players that we have.

Ted Nolan would not accept an AHL job. If he stays in junior this year he gets to coach in the Memorial cup, this has just a big an impact on his career as a jump to an assistant or head coaching role in the AHL would have. I do believe he might accept an assistant job in the NHL but a head coaching NHL job is what he is looking for.

I read in another article that it was Muckler that sacked Nolan. I also read that Muckler really badmouthed Nolan in public - made Nolan look really bad. I don't know how much he was right. (In my opinion, dirty laundry should be washed within the walls of one's own house.)

Now, also, I can't imagine that one man's opinions would seem to be enough to sway all the other GMs & owners who were in charge then and have come along since. There may be more to this story about which we don't know.

If Muckler was right then Nolan can only hope that he has changed and that this change will be recognized.

If Muckler was wrong then Nolan can only hope to be able, by his attitude and actions, to prove the others that he is still the super coach that he was then.

The reason why Nolan has been fired and blacklisted is because he tried to go behind Muckler's back and get him fired when the Sabres got a new ownership. On top of that, I also recall some story about Nolan having an affaire with Hasek's wife (don't laugh, I'm not making this up) or something like that.

I also recall some scandal when Nolan was coaching in juniors. He coached in the Memorial Cup and was accused of constantly verbally insulting QMJHL players with derogatory insults. I also recall some story about Nolan using the same words with Donal Audette when he was coaching him in Buffalo.

And not later than this season, Nolan was in the middle of another controversy when he accused fans in Chicoutimi of shouting racists comments to him all night long (sounds familiar?).

All in all, those events really make Nolan look like a total douchebag. But that aside, I think Nolan is very overrated. His sole achievement was to win a Jack-Adams 10 years ago. Look around, you can probably find 10 other unemployed coaches who won a Jack-Adams. Its Hasek who gave him that trophy. The first season after Nolan got fired, Lindy Ruff (read: Hasek) took the team to the Stanley Cup finals.

There's definitely a whole lot of little-known coaches I'd rather see replace Julien than some overrated, classless one-hit-wonder-10-years-ago like Nolan.

Heck, I think I'd rather see Youppi behind the bench more than Nolan!