Steve Gainey

habs rule

Apparently Steve was a free agent in Nov 2005 and signed by Wayne and the boys. It kind of makes me wonder why Bob would not have signed him? I do believe he drafted him when he was in Dallas. Nepotism possibly could be a reason or maybe we do not need any more defensive forwards? Just a shit disturbing question and I wonder if anyone else has any input.

Steve Gainey was drafted by the Dallas Stars when Bob was the GM but Bob did not make the call to draft his son, he did what the scouts suggested to him.

edit: typo

Edited by Tony

Steve Gainey is nothing more than an adequate minor league player, a lot like Gavin Morgan last season with the Bulldogs, oddly enough, Gainey signed him away from Dallas. I think that had the Habs opted to sign him, even if it was just to play for the Dogs, I think fans and media alike would've hounded Bob about it, "putting himself over the team." There would've been a lot of pressure for Steve Gainey to prove himself in Montreal, and quite honestly, he wouldn't have been able to do it. As it stands now, Steve is still looking for his first NHL goal, I think it was much safer to stay away from him overall.

bob did the right thing by not signing him

Yeah I did see it he just could not believe he got the shot off.

I felt bad fro him because he flew back on the back check although the team was down 5-1 and OV still scored on his back.

As for Bob not signing Steve it was a good decision it would have been real tough for Bob as well as Steve if he did not perform way above expectations in Hamilton or Montreal.

If Steve Gainey was a proven NHL player and the team would have any interest in a player like him then I think Bob could have signed him.

Now, Steve Gainey is not near to be the kind of player his father was and the Habs have no need for him.

But a Gainey is a Gainey and I think both of them seems to be down to earth so Steve should be able to handle pressure.

I agree with all the comments. like I said i was just stirring the shit and the only reason it occurred to me was the look on his face when ovechkin showed them what determination means. ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS