Waiver Draft

Zowpeb

I believe today is the deadline for protection lists...

Anyone know who we are not protecting?

Anyone know the draft order? I'm not sure how it works exactly...

I think Dackell and Dykhuis would be two very good players to dangle out there. If they get taken it clears some unneeded salary from guys who would be useful on a number of other teams(even at their existing salaries). Unfortunately they aren't need enough for anyone to trade for them so the waiver draft may be the best way to move them.

One big waiver draft rumour is that Cujo will be left available so the Wings can bypass his no-trade clause...and the team selecting him will have to send something to the Wings in return for them not pulling him back and leaving him available.

NHL waiver draft to take place Friday, October 3

NEW YORK - The 2003-2004 NHL Waiver Draft will be held Friday, Oct. 3 at 12 noon, ET. Below are the key dates and times leading to the Waiver Draft, plus information regarding the Draft format.

Key Dates and Times:

Tuesday, Sept. 30

2 p.m. ET: Trading freeze in effect until the conclusion of the Waiver Draft.

4 p.m. ET: Deadline for each club to submit 18-skater, two-goaltender Protected List.

Wednesday, Oct. 1

TBD: NHL Communications Department releases clubs' lists of protected and available players, once all lists have been approved by the League.

Friday, Oct. 3

12 noon ET: NHL Waiver Draft held via conference call. Results from the draft will be released by the NHL upon its conclusion.

Waiver Draft Rules:

In the first round, non-playoff clubs from the 2002-2003 season participate.

In the first round, no club may claim from a club in its own division.

No club may lose more than three players in the Waiver Draft, unless it chooses to offer more players. Each club's three-player loss limit will increase by the number of draft claims it makes against other clubs.

The draft will conclude when a round is completed in which no club makes a claim.

Exemptions:

The number of years a player is exempt from the Waiver Draft is outlined below. The exemption ends once the player has played in the number of NHL games set forth in the applicable column below.

Goaltenders Skaters

Age Years from

NHL Signing NHL Games Played* Age Years from

NHL Signing NHL Games Played*

18 6 or 80 18 5 or 160

19 5 or 80 19 4 or 160

20 4 or 80 20 3 or 160

21 4 or 60 21 3 or 80

22 4 or 60 22 3 or 70

23 3 or 60 23 3 or 60

24 2 or 60 24 2 or 60

25+ 1 or -- 25+ 1 or --

* "NHL games played" includes all regular-season and playoff games. A skater who plays in 11 or more NHL games as a 18- or 19-year-old will have his exemption reduced from five and four years, respectively, to three years. A goaltender who plays in 11 or more NHL games as an 18- or 19-year-old will have his exemption reduced from six and five years, respectively, to four years.

2003-2004 Waiver Draft Order Of Selection

First Round

1. Carolina

2. Pittsburgh

3. Columbus

4. Florida

5. Buffalo

6. San Jose

7. Nashville

8. Atlanta

9. Calgary

10. Montreal

11. Phoenix

12. NY Rangers

13. Los Angeles

14. Chicago

Each Subsequent Round

1. Carolina

2. Pittsburgh

3. Columbus

4. Florida

5. Buffalo

6. San Jose

7. Nashville

8. Atlanta

9. Calgary

10. Montreal

11. Phoenix

12. NY Rangers

13. Los Angeles

14. Chicago

15. NY Islanders

16. Boston

17. Edmonton

18. Washington

19. Anaheim

20. Minnesota

21. Toronto

22. St. Louis

23. Vancouver

24. Philadelphia

25. Tampa Bay

26. Colorado

27. Detroit

28. Dallas

29. Ottawa

30. New Jersey

Montreal Canadiens

Protected

Donald Audette, F; Francis Bouillon, D; Patrice Brisebois, D; Jan Bulis, F; Andreas Dackell, F; Gordie Dwyer, F; Joe Juneau, F; Chad Kilger, F; Saku Koivu, F; Andrei Markov, D; Yanic Perreault, F; Stephane Quintal, D; Mike Ribeiro, F; Craig Rivet, D; Sheldon Souray, D; Niklas Sundstrom, F; Jason Ward, F; Richard Zednik, F; Mathieu Garon, G; Jose Theodore, G.

Available

Francois Beauchemin, D; Sylvain Blouin, F; Pierre Dagenais, F; Karl Dykhuis, D; Benoit Gratton, F; Miloslav Guren, D; Patrick Traverse, D; J-F Damphousse, G; Eric Fichaud, G.

Complete list: http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/10/152128.html

Cujo unprotected a no-brainer... but Boucher might interest someone. Irbe & Hnilicka, Steve Shields also available.

Therrien, Travis Green, Reichel, Brian Savage... Theo Fleury, Daigle, Steve Kariya, Craig Darby.. hehe

Remember Brett Clark?

How about Steve Gainey, hey dad? ;)

Don't understand why we protected dead weight like Juneau & Dackell, not to mention Audette, and left Beauchemin unprotected.

Dumb move.

Toronto might pick up a D, but seeing as they now have 4 NHL calibre D, plus rookies, it probably isn't likely (Kaberle, McCabe, Marchment, Klee, Colaiacovo, Jackman, etc.)

As for the Habs picking up a player, that won't happen unless we lose a player first.

As puck said, I'm also shocked to see bums like Juneau and Dackell protected, and guys like Beauchemin and Gratton available to pick up.

But I'm throughly impressed with BG sending Traverse and Dykhuis down to Hamilton. I wasn't expecting both, but I'm quite happy that it happened. :clap::clap:

Anyway, looking forward to the waiver draft.

Hope we can lose some bums, pick up some un-bums, and turn them into not-so-bums

Besides Audette and Brisebois, there was one player that I thought would have been exposed, Gordie Dwyer. The reality is, he likely would have cleared waivers without a problem, and if he didn't, we could have filled his void with another player relatively easily. We then could have protected a player like Beauchemin or Gratton.

I think Timander and Therien are two guys we should consider looking at IF we plan on trading Breezy and lose Dykhuis.

While I don't see anyone taking Dykhuis with all the other d-men available I think Therien and Timander would bring some nice grit to our D.

Don't know if either of them play the left side but that's what we need right now. I'm not a fan of playing Quintal on his off side with Komisarek...plus Souray is injury prone...

Without Gainey doing much or saying much in terms of his plans with this team's improvement. (besides let the players play), if we are trying to predict who he could choose tomorrow, we are going to have to look at his past as the GM of the Stars.

One player that comes to mind is Todd Harvey. He was drafted by Gainey and he has a gritty and can give the habs that much, even if he is injury-proned. When he isn't he can be as effective as Darcy Tucker. Besides him I don't know if Gainey would choose anyone.