JMMR

Who will replace him. (and Jovo)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who will replace him. (and Jovo)

• Boyle
    • Phaneuf
    • Bouwmeester

Niedermayer backs out of Team Canada

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim defenceman Scott Niedermayer has decided that he will not be playing for Canada at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games in Torino.

Niedermayer, one of Team Canada's top defencemen for almost a decade, has been playing over the last couple of months with a lingering knee injury. The 32-year-old blueliner will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery on Monday.

He suffered a small tear in some cartilage in his right knee in December and had to decide whether to continue playing through the injury, or to use the Olympic break as an opportunity to have the knee surgery and minimize the time missed playing with the Ducks.

The 2004 Norris Trophy winner underwent a second MRI last week. The latest results showed more swelling than before, but not to the point where doctors said surgery was absolutely necessary.

Related Info

Canada's 2006 Men's Olympic Hockey Team

Niedermayer was one of Canada's most experienced blueliners, having played at the 1991 and 1992 World Juniors, the 1996 World Cup, the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics, Canada's 2004 World Championship team and the 2004 World Cup team.

Canada had already lost Ed Jovanovski after the Vancouver Canucks blue-liner underwent surgery for a groin injury. Bryan McCabe of the Toronto Maple Leafs was upgraded from the taxi squad but Canada must still name two other defencemen - one for the 23-man roster and one to replace McCabe on the reserves.

Sources suggest Florida's Jay Bouwmeester is the leading candidate to replace him, although Tampa Bay defenceman Dan Boyle is getting consideration as well.

More to follow.

You are absolutely correct olematelot Niedermeyer is irreplaceable his skating ability and prowess on the ice to make excellent tape-to-tape passes may be unmatched by any other defenseman in the league.

With all of these players dropping out I truly wonder how much influences GM’s around the league have on whether or not their star players will go over seas or take a much needed rest to juice up for the playoff run. Furthermore how many teams with the majority of the core of their team heading to Torino will come back from the break and falter.

Phaneuf hasn't been better then Blake this year.

Anyway, I'd have to go with Dan Boyle but I can understand why Bouwmeester would be the first canidate. When you lose a guy on the team, you want someone back in the same mould as the guy you lost because, obviously, you've got a team plan to follow. Phaneuf and Nieds playing styles aren't even close to each other (and hes too young but I know tons of people hate that argument). Bouwmeester plays the exact same game that Niedermeyer does. But I don't want Phaneuf anywhere near this Olympic team. Probably the 2010 games but not this year.

Phaneuf has been better than Blake. Phaneuf is a Norris candidate. Based on this season alone, Phaneuf would be Canada's first selection for their blueline. Bouwmeester is a half-bust and isn't Olympic material. Neither is Boyle who is good but no better.

Phaneuf has been better than Blake. Phaneuf is a Norris candidate. Based on this season alone, Phaneuf would be Canada's first selection for their blueline. Bouwmeester is a half-bust and isn't Olympic material. Neither is Boyle who is good but no better.

:lol:

Norris canidate. Hahahaha. Good one.

McCabe deserves to play for Canada with his performance this year. Although he only has 2 points in his first four games back from injury he has been a force on the PP this year and why not ride a hot hand. I despise the leafs as much if not more then many Habs fans, but when McCabe pulls the team Canada sweater over his head I am sure he will wear it with pride.

McCabe is TERRIBLE 5 on 5.........and since it's "olympic" ice he'll be lost out there. Most of his points are on the PP, where he plays the whole 2 minutes [or close to it]..........

Okay well I am sure if his +- is -10 after the first two games he wont see too much ice. But if Canada can utilize his shot on the PP then why not! They dress 7 defenseman every game so I am not too worried.

Okay well I am sure if his +- is -10 after the first two games he wont see too much ice. But if Canada can utilize his shot on the PP then why not! They dress 7 defenseman every game so I am not too worried.

If i'm coaching this team, as good as he's been on the PP this year (and i stress on the PP, because he's brutal 5 on 5) I would still rather Blake or Pronger at the point launching pucks.

Just watch, when McCabe who is probably the most undisciplined player on the team, gets them in some serious Penalty trouble.

Phaneuf is a Norris candidate maybe a darkhorse but he's right up there. Yes he is young, but at some point age should be compensated for by talent. In this new NHL, Phaneuf is better defensively than most of the Dmen on this team. Not to mention he's no slouch on the PP either. I dislike this call by Gretzky and believe (although I hope it doesn't) that this weak decision may cost the team.

It's not mentioned in the game summary at all and it was vaguely noted during the game. All indications right now point that it isn't serious and Blake will be there for Team Canada. Avs haven't announced anything as of yet though.

So McCabe take's a "lazy" penalty vs Germany; then when he comes out of the box (making it a 5 on 4) he doesn't even take a German player, or get out to the point..... And GErmany scores. Then Quinn [idiot] has him out there his next shift, and he coughs the puck up at the blueline.....causing a 2 on 1. And as I'm typing this he take a checking to the head penalty 2min [+ a 10 min misconduct (automatic) WHICH the way he's playing is a GOOD thing]

Smarten up Quinn, your not coaching TO here.........................

The German goal was not McCabes fault he had his man Sakic got sucked down it was his defenceman who was left alone at the point.

Although McCabe did look terrible for many of his other shitfs in that game.