What Would Be Best For Sergei Kostsitsyn

CerebusClone

Kostsitsyn had a great season with London, and after seeing his older brother struggle so much by moving up the ranks too fast by skipping the junior step, he defenitely made the right decision by playing in the CHL. He might even win the Memorial Cup, which would be a great experience for him since he's not exactly used to winning coming from Belerus (there wasn't that much merit winning the very weak WJC Div1 tournament against counntries such as Poland, Hungary, and Italy).

Now the question is what will be best for Sergei next season? Should he go back to London, and perhaps be counted on as his team's leader after the possible departure of its current 3 top performers (Schremp, Bolland, and Hunter)? Or should Montreal offer him a contract so that he can play at a higher level in the AHL, possibly even with his brother for parts of the season, and start adapting to North American pro hockey?

Hockey-wise, I think at this point he has very little to learn from junior hockey, however being your team's top performer and leader is also a great intangible factor. In that context, he might develop leadership qualities that he wouldn't if he played a supporting role with the Bulldogs. Playing with other "kids" in the juniors also seems to have helped grow as an individual.

I guess we'll have to see how he does at training camp....

I'm not sure if he's eligible to play for the Bulldogs. At first I thought that Kostsitsyn was not eligible to play in the AHL since he's only 19. While there have been a few 19 year olds to play in the AHL [eg. Jason Spezza, Rico Fata], they are exceptions because they've played 4 seasons at the Canadian Major Junior league level. However, I noticed that brother Andrei was 19 when he started to play in Hamilton. Andrei did not play in the CHL, and I'm not sure he was even selected in the CHL import draft; those may be the reasons he was allowed to play in Hamilton.

I think Sergei should make the jump to Hamilton. Many of the star players that helped make the Knights so good this year will not be back next year. If he was once again going to have a great shot at the Memorial Cup then maybe stay in London but Hamilton will be a good place for him and hopefully Andrei makes the Habs and Sergei can work hard to get called up once in a while. If that happens and he plays with his brother and they have a spark he may stick. All of this will be interesting because we have no idea how Sergei will adapt to the jump to the AHL.

Being European, I believe he's eligible to play in the AHL at any age.

I think he should stay back a year in Junior. Let's see how he does as a leader of the team.

If he does go back to the juniors, he would indeed gain a great deal of experience being a team leader, which he wouldn't get in Hamilton. Also, if he does continue to produce at a high level without Schremp, Bolland, and Hunter, Montreal will have a better idea whether or not they have found a late round gem at the draft.

Although he his considered a top forward by coach Hunter, there is room to doubt his true potential since almost everytime you see his name on the scoresheet, there's a Schremp and/or a Bolland right next to it.

Sairhei can not pay in Hamilton next year. Once you play in the CHL you can not play in the AHL unless your 20 or have 4 season played. Sairhei will be back in London next year outside of some unseen circumstances.

Are you sure about that Montreal, I thought European players were able to play in the AHL at any age. What if he makes the Habs out of training camp (highly unlikely) and then is sent to the minors?

Are you sure about that Montreal, I thought European players were able to play in the AHL at any age. What if he makes the Habs out of training camp (highly unlikely) and then is sent to the minors?

Euro's can play in the AHL at any age but not Euro's that play in the CHL. Once you play in the CHL you are under their rules. The reason why they have the rule in place is that so they don't lose their better players to the AHL. Kostitsyn will be in London next year most likely.

Euro's can play in the AHL at any age but not Euro's that play in the CHL. Once you play in the CHL you are under their rules. The reason why they have the rule in place is that so they don't lose their better players to the AHL. Kostitsyn will be in London next year most likely.

I agree. But if he keeps playing like he has (2G 8A in 3 playoff games) He might make a bigger jump then we think.

Montreal doesn't seem to have any problems sending players to Long Beach. I would say thats a good possibility

Why the heck would you want to send any legitamate prospect to the ECHL? It's a third-string minor league. I'm sure most OHL teams are better than ECHL teams.

ECHL is last-chance territory...ask Ryder.