Carey Price

les_glorieux

Well it looks like he rebounded from a poor start and put up some decent numbers for a weak team.

Nice to see the GAA go down and the sav% go up, from where they were earlier in the year.

Is he old enough to report to Hamilton next year? Or is it back to his Jr club? Anyone know? I'm too lazy to look right now

Well it looks like he rebounded from a poor start and put up some decent numbers for a weak team.

Nice to see the GAA go down and the sav% go up, from where they were earlier in the year.

Is he old enough to report to Hamilton next year? Or is it back to his Jr club? Anyone know? I'm too lazy to look right now

1 More year of Junior and he is the favourite to start for the World Junior team next year.

1 More year of Junior and he is the favourite to start for the World Junior team next year.

Actually, he was selected by coach Sutter to be the number 1 goalie for Team Canada, but he didn't show up for an optional morning practice the day of a game, and Sutter went on a crazy power trip and sent him packing back to Tri-City. Price never practices the day of a game because his team is junior team is so weak that he needs all the rest he can get before a game. Sutter thought that was unacceptable from his numer 1 guy, so he went with Pogge instead.

He's had his share of ups and downs this season. His save percentage was near .915 at some point near the end of the season, but it kept going down in the last month or so. His situation seems similar to Roy's situation back with the Granby Bisons in the Q. From what I've often heard (I was too young to even care about junior hockey), his stats were horrible (Price's are actually not that bad), but considering the team that was in front of him, he did a good job.

He should be a great goalie for us in the future, and with Huet, Aebischer, Danis, and Halak all working hard to become number 1 goalies at the NHL level, we can afford to let him progress normally, and at his pace, through the juniors and the minor leagues. We must avoid doing what the Nordiques did with Thibeault (some goalies - like Hasek and Belfour - find their game aroung his age, abd he's already a 12-year veteran), or what the Islanders did with DiPietro (at least it looks like he's finding his game).

Actually, he was selected by coach Sutter to be the number 1 goalie for Team Canada, but he didn't show up for an optional morning practice the day of a game, and Sutter went on a crazy power trip and sent him packing back to Tri-City.

sutter did him the greatest favour by returning him to tri city. he just learned the hard way that you need a solid work ethic.

price will become a better goalie just because of that

his stats are great given the team he has in front of him.

cant wait to see him in hamilton in two years. the future looks good for montreal

I don't buy that for one second. Pogge was the starter and should have been the #1 guy. He was the top goalie in the WHL and likely the entire CHL. His numbers were stellar, and from all the reports I got he was cleary the best goalie at the final camp. I wasn't there so I can't say but everything I heard was Pogge was the starter and that makes total sense. Price had an off year and was very inconsistent all season. Yea he improved his numbers big time, from the 4.5 gaa he was sporting but how many games did he get pulled in?

Next year Price should be the front runner in nets but he'll need a better season then he had this year imo.

I don't buy that for one second. Pogge was the starter and should have been the #1 guy. He was the top goalie in the WHL and likely the entire CHL. His numbers were stellar, and from all the reports I got he was cleary the best goalie at the final camp. I wasn't there so I can't say but everything I heard was Pogge was the starter and that makes total sense. Price had an off year and was very inconsistent all season. Yea he improved his numbers big time, from the 4.5 gaa he was sporting but how many games did he get pulled in?

Next year Price should be the front runner in nets but he'll need a better season then he had this year imo.

That's what I heard from more than one source, but it might not be true. Sutter himself didn't say that publicly. Pogge wasn't amazing during those pre-tournament games, but he did show more consistency than Ellis, Dubnyk, and Price. However, I think Price offered the best performances of the group.

At the very least, it cost him the job of backup behind Pogge. However, in this case I don't think it was bad work ethics from Price; that's just his game-day routine in Tri-City, and his team is just fine with that. Sutter could have told him that he expects his goalies to show up at every practice, optinal or not, and I'm sure Price would have understood.

Edited by CerebusClone

No need to rush Price with our goaltending depth: Huet, Danis, Aebischer, even Michaud at a stretch. Price is probably our goalie of the future but that future is still 3-4 years away. Let him spend another season in junior before moving him up to Hamilton. Isn't he only 19? Look at what rushing Marc-André Fleury into the NHL did to his confidence.

I agree. I don't buy the story that Price's missing an optional practice cost him the job. That story was well publicized, but pure specualtion. TSN's Gord Miller stated on TV immediately folowing the game that Sutter had told him at the opening of the camp that Pogge was going to be "the man". You got the sense that he waited the entire tournament to share that little nugget of inside info. Sutter essentialy had all his guys picked, before camp started, with the exception of some. I believe the goalies were in this group that were picked already. Case in point: Devan Dubnyk. He had a terrible camp, yet made the team. I was in Vancouver and watched the preseason games. Price and Pogge were head and shoulders above the other two. Look for Price to start next year. The one thing that stood out most for me about Price was his ultra cool demenaour in net. Kinda reminds me of Huet. :)