Bulis/zednik

I have a question for you all. We all know that lately Bulis has been asking for more icetime as an offensive player, yet Gainey has been benching him. I was pretty sure that Gainey was considering the possibility of trading Bulis away at the end of the season (we have too much offense as it is). However, I read somewhere (I believe it was tsn) that tonight Bulis will be taking Zedniks place and Zednik will be a healthy scratch.

If this is true, does this mean that Gainey is considering the possibility of putting Bulis upfront? And what does this mean for Zednik who has gone scoreless in 13 games (I think)?

Personally I think one of these two (if not both) will be let go at the end of the season. But I'm wondering if anyone else had further insight into this topic.

Thanks.

Bulis a free agent after the year. I'm not sure if he's a UFA or an RFA, but his contract definitely expires after the year. There's a 0% chance he'll be coming back - too many forwards are already under contract, and too many other guys on the team bring the same skills to the table as Bulis.

I think Bulis being in the lineup instead of Zednik can be chalked up to Zednik being absolutely horrible recently... actually, he's been poor all year. Having Bulis in the lineup simply gives the Habs a better chance to win right now.

Unless Zednik's contract is expiring or he's bought out (I don't doubt that would happen), he'll be back next year.

Welcome to the board by the way!

Edited by option+

Bulis is a UFA. Bulis is going to be on the 3rd line, so it's not like he's going to get much of an opportunity to show BG his O (although he is getting ice time and it is up to him to show what he can do with it).

Bulis will probably walk, probably after rejecting a relatively small offer sheet from BG (you gotta figure that BG is willing to keep Bulis around as a utility man for a low enough price).

I personally think that Zed will move on Draft day for a later round guy. If not, look to him to be part of a package (I wouldnt be shocked to see zhogs get moved for the right player).

Personally I think one of these two (if not both) will be let go at the end of the season. But I'm wondering if anyone else had further insight into this topic.

Thanks.

Bulis will be a UFA nexy season, and I doubt Gainey will bring him back (although I thought the same last summer about Sundstrom). As for Zednik, he would have to be traded. I've never been a big fan of his, mostly because he was so highly overrated in Montreal; hopefully Gainey can trade him, even if it's just for a 4th rounder. Let's make room for the kids instead...

Zednik hasn't been the same since McLaren almost took his head off. Too much skating around the periphery... not enough driving to the net.

Perezhogin can easily take his place. Perez was averaging a point per game in the first 8 games and looked like he was headed for a 25 goal year. He totally lost his confidence when he was demoted/benched after Zed came back...

Kostitsyn can take his place too. I'm not too nervous about the prospect of losing Zednik. We could probably get a third rounder for him.

Zednik hasn't been the same since McLaren almost took his head off. Too much skating around the periphery... not enough driving to the net.

Perezhogin can easily take his place. Perez was averaging a point per game in the first 8 games and looked like he was headed for a 25 goal year. He totally lost his confidence when he was demoted/benched after Zed came back...

Kostitsyn can take his place too. I'm not too nervous about the prospect of losing Zednik. We could probably get a third rounder for him.

Perezhogin, Kostsitsyn, and Latendresse could all easily replace him next season, although Guillaume is probably heading back to the juniors again. Heck, even Milroy and Lapierre could produce as much as Zednik has this year.

I dunno. I just have this feeling that Gainey might not want to let both Bulis and Zednik go. He might actually be seriously considering Bulis in an offensive position.

Any chance other teams would be interested in some sort of Zednik/Abby package? I think we could get a respectable player for these two (although I should point out that Abby hasn't been given a fair chance to prove himself and the fans are to hard on him).

Iwouldnt be surprised to see both gone next year. Chipchura and Latendresse are in Gainey's master plan! We will see how this will turn out soon. I like Zednik a lot but lets be serious, he hasnt been the same since Mcclarens hit or whatever his name was.

I dunno. I just have this feeling that Gainey might not want to let both Bulis and Zednik go. He might actually be seriously considering Bulis in an offensive position.

Any chance other teams would be interested in some sort of Zednik/Abby package? I think we could get a respectable player for these two (although I should point out that Abby hasn't been given a fair chance to prove himself and the fans are to hard on him).

Zednik has a better chance of staying than Bulis does, if for no other reason than because Bulis is a UFA.

At this point, I'm not sure that Bulis even wants to stay. I mean, he's basically having his best year in the NHL, and he's been a healthy scratch for the past handful of games... in crunch time... I mean, that sends a pretty strong message that he's not in Gainey's plans anymore.

I'll miss Bulis. He's kind of the 2000s version of Rejean Houle: big scorer in junior, good skaters, hands of stone, good defensively, always gave 110%. I'll be a little sad to see him go.

I would say that both of them are probably on their way out of Montreal. Bulis as an UFA and Zednik maybe through a trade if Gainey can find one that fits.

I like Zednik and think that if he had been 100% healthy probably would have had close to a 25 goal season. I think that groin injury really nagged him, and hurt his production.

But Montreal definitely needs to clear out some of the glut at the forward position and bring in a true 1st line forward either through trade or UFA(that kinda player doesn't seem to be available).

As I've said over and over again, Bulis was benched because he plays way too soft. I've seen the guy give up the puck (!!!) when he's about to be hit (and I've seen this over and over again from Bulis). Those of you who've actually played organized hockey, know what that does to your bench when you see a guy doing that. You despise the guy, pure and simple. *You're* willing to take the hit for team but he's not.

It's too bad about Bulis. He has great speed and some skills but this chicken-heartedness is something that no coach can abide. Benching him for a few games might be Bob's way of trying to get him "to mend his ways." Get involved in the action more. Take a hit for the team.

As far as the comparison with Rejean Houle goes... Houle was *not* soft. Sure, he didn't look for the hits but he never blindly gave up the puck when he saw one coming. A more apt comparison would be with J.C. Tremblay (for you old-timers out there). :-) Tremblay would blindly throw the puck away when he saw a hit coming, just like Bulis. I never liked J.C. Tremblay and I'm not crazy about Bulis...

- Jack

I was watching the last Sens last goal and I think its a clear example of Why Bob Gainey is losing his hair with Bulis... LEts forgive him thinking the puck will go past through two d men and rebound for a 3 on 2 .. he starts skating to get back to counter the attack GOOD! but as soon as the sens starts slowing down he slows down too and just floats and tries to reach for an interception on Heatley who's all alone! had he givin one more skate he would have maybe stood a better chance!

nough said!

Given a choice over which one should be kept at the end of the year, I'd rather have Bulis. He's a more rounded player. He may not have Zednk''s potential uside but he's more consistent.

:king: :hlogo: :king: