Who Will Be Benched Once Bouillon Is Back?

CerebusClone

The way Streit was playing last bright, at both end of the ice, there is no way he deserves to be benched because of Bouillon's return. I would actually argue that if keeps this up, he's much more valuable to the team than Bouillon. He brings an offensive element than Bouillon just can't bring, and defensively, he was just as reliable last night, if not more.

If Bouillon does come back in time (he should mow miss the beginning of the playoffs), it will be a tough decision for Gainey. Of course, Dandeneault could be the "easy" choice, although he's been much better since he got less minutes, but if the team keeps winning in the regular season, and in the playoffs, how could you justify potentially breaking the current great team chemistry by bringing back a Bouillon? If it were Chris Pronger, it would be a different story, but despite his popularity, Bouillon remains only a depth defenseman.

Why would dandenault be the easy choice? He has played better then Bouillon and Streit, he is not as offensive as Streit but he is better then Bouillon. Look at his stats. I'm not his biggest fan or anything but the only knock on Dandy that i can see is he'll take a poor penalty on occaision, he has been much better about that lately as well. Keep the line up as is. I would put Murray back with Plex and Perez, they looked alot more effective. Let Bulis and Zednick fight for the LW with Kovy.

The way Streit was playing last bright, at both end of the ice, there is no way he deserves to be benched because of Bouillon's return. I would actually argue that if keeps this up, he's much more valuable to the team than Bouillon. He brings an offensive element than Bouillon just can't bring, and defensively, he was just as reliable last night, if not more.

If Bouillon does come back in time (he should mow miss the beginning of the playoffs), it will be a tough decision for Gainey. Of course, Dandeneault could be the "easy" choice, although he's been much better since he got less minutes, but if the team keeps winning in the regular season, and in the playoffs, how could you justify potentially breaking the current great team chemistry by bringing back a Bouillon? If it were Chris Pronger, it would be a different story, but despite his popularity, Bouillon remains only a depth defenseman.

You're not a Bouillon fan. We get it. Do we really need another thread about it?

I think Bouillon will be the odd man out if Streit can continue to play the way he is playing. Streit looks more confident with each passing game and his vision is second only to Markov. And defensively how many 2 on 1's has this guy broken up recently. Wow I will say once again every move Bob makes works out in the long run.

I think Bouillon will be the odd man out, though I'm not sure I'd do the same thing myself...

One good thing about having so many D-men is that we can go with different looks. If we need to be physical, we can play Bouillon. If the PP is stuttering, then Streit is available. It's a nice problem to have.

I think Bouillon will be the odd man out, though I'm not sure I'd do the same thing myself...

One good thing about having so many D-men is that we can go with different looks. If we need to be physical, we can play Bouillon. If the PP is stuttering, then Streit is available. It's a nice problem to have.

I agree... and especially if injuries or long playoff series take their toll... *knock on wood*

huh??? come on!!! bouillon IN the line up all da way man!!!

- rarely lose a 1 on 1 fight

- fights for the team on every shift

- brings energy on the ice just like bégin does (ok.. maybe less than bégin hehe)

Streit played better in last few games, he said it himself that he feels better now that he played few game in a row... but do we REALLY trust streit with his defense play???

sorry but as for me, when bouillon has the puck, i dunt PANIC, just like when i see markov with the puck~ i know that the puck will get out of the d-zone with NO problem~ when i see streit with it... i still have a doubt~

I think that Streit will be the Black Ace come playoff time, simply because of the experience factor. In all honesty, I don't that Streit has adapted well to the smaller ice surface yet. He was much more effective at the Olympics because he had that extra second to make choices. The forwards are rushing him much quicker than they would on the bigger ice. He is more decisive, and as he gets more time, the adaptation will come. And his play in the defensive zone is better, but as I said, Bouillon has the playoff games under his belt that will probably give him the edge.

Tough tough tough decision! Streit improves with every passing games and Bouillon was a solid defence man for us most of the season...

What about Dandenault at the wing and Bouillon and Streit get ice time? Then again, this means one of Bulis or Zednik gets out of the line up...

Tough decision

Absolutley, Montreal will dress 7 defenseman and Dandenault will play a shift as a forward when needed.

No reason not to use 7 defenceman.

The thing is that I think Gainey really loves the work of his blue coller workers Begin, Murray, and Downey. He now also likes what Bonk is doing, even though he overpayed for his services (but Bonk is free in the playoffs). That doesn't leave much room for Dandenault on the forth line.

Also, because we again resigned Ribeiro last summer, we still don't have an effective 2nd line that gives a constant effort and production. That means the shutdown work that the forth line is currently doing so well will be a key factor in the playoffs. If you insert a defenseman as a forward in the lineup, you are exposing yourself to potential basic mistakes that can cost you a important game.

Again, some tough decisions ahead for Gainey... and it won't get any easier over the summer.

According to an article in todays' Montreal Gazette Bouillon may not be back prior to the playoffs?

If that's true and he's not ready then the point is really moot. Do you really want to put a defenseman in the lineup in the playoffs who hasn't played in about a month? I think he will have a tough time cracking the lineup if the Habs continue to win consistently - you don't like to tamper with a winning lineup. If they do stumble a bit then he could be back if he's healthy enough.

As of now you have to admit that he's not being missed, no matter what his popularity and the reasons for it may be in Montreal.

He's a small man with a big heart, however if you watch the goal mouth scrambles lately you will see that forwards are getting away with murder there = that's not very conducive to a small defenseman being successful?

Edited by beliveau1

Depending on when Bouillon returns we'll see..Gainey is a pretty loyal and level-headed coach. Witness his turning to Aebsicher for the Senators game. He's not going to suddenly stop playing guys who are positive contributors just because the team's on a streak. It's actually a good thing having them, so the other guys can get a rest.

Don't think it will Streit.......he seems a lot more confident out there and his physical play has actually picked up in our end........But what i like most about him, and Dandy for that matter, is that lately they are being aggressive offensively, jumping in on plays from the blueline (and hustling their butts off on the odd occasion where they have been caught too deep).......this all has to do with the team having an increasing confidence in Huet that they are willing to take these chances and create and capitalize on scoring opportunities. As far as defencemen go, Dandy has been a scoring machine of late!