The Playoff Race In The Western Conference

Jean

It's all but settled in the east now but out west we still don't know who will make it

Vancouver - Edmonton - LA -San Jose. 4 teams in competition for 2 spots avaible..Who will make it in your opinion?

I hope for both canadian teams to make it, but San Jose is too hot to handle right now so I think Vancouver will get bounced off... They really owned the Bruins in the Thorton trade eh! That's what turned their season arround.

But LA choked, therefore Edmonton should be safe.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vancouver has SLIM chances and it's ******* great!

San Jose has a bunch of games in hand and they're on fire so I say they're in. Edmonton should make it too. Preferably, this is how I want to see the West line up...

Detroit

Dallas

Calgary

Nashville

-------------These 4 teams are all but a given at this point in this order.

Colorado

Edmonton

Anaheim

San Jose

This set-up would give us the most entertaining series (gotta love the Calgary/Edmonton matchup) and two potential upsets with Anaheim and San Jose being on fire and playing better then a 7th and 8th team. Detroit and Dallas would be hard pressed to get to the 2nd round. Plus Turco REALLY needs to prove himself this year otherwise he could just be a slightly better Lalime.

And the best part?

NO VANCOUVER

Ahh...I can hear Captain grinding his teeth from here. :lol:

Vancouver has SLIM chances and it's ******* great!

San Jose has a bunch of games in hand and they're on fire so I say they're in. Edmonton should make it too. Preferably, this is how I want to see the West line up...

Detroit

Dallas

Calgary

Nashville

-------------These 4 teams are all but a given at this point in this order.

Colorado

Edmonton

Anaheim

San Jose

I wouldn't say Nashville has 4th place locked up. The Ducks are hot on their heels, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass the Preds. They definitely won't finish 7th though, at least 5th IMO.

Colorado has an easy schedule coming up. We play at atleast 80% of our potential and 5th should be ours. Edmonton has an easier schedule then Anaheim so basically what it comes down to is that April 13th game. Looking over the schedules, I'll predict this..

Detroit

Dallas

Calgary

Nashville - 104 points (easiest schedule remaining out of everyone IMO)

Colorado - 99 points

Edmonton - 96 points

Anaheim - 96 points (hardest schedule remaining, just team wise. Ignoring the fact they only have 1 home game left)

San Jose - 95 points

So I guess just flip Anaheim and Edmonton around in my original prediction since the Ducks would have more wins.

Knuckle heads With only 5 games left they are done for... with The way The sharks are playing!

For my part I'm happy!! but dont let my roomates nor girlfriend find out!

Every morning I pass by the office spaces of my fellow colleagues and Canuck fans and cry out ..... "yer out of the playoffs you bums" and then " Just joking" with a big smile lying through my teeth!! and for weeks now ... I dont know how but they still believe they can!

Hey here's a dream for ya SJS vs CH at the final Koivu neutralizes Thornton once again! AHHHHH!H!!!!!!

Edited by CoRvInA

I the Nucks do miss the playoffs. It may provide an opportunity for Alain Vingeualt to coach again in the NHL.

Other than that I really might only care about this race come late May early June.

Knuckle heads With only 5 games left they are done for... with The way The sharks are playing!

For my part I'm happy!! but dont let my roomates nor girlfriend find out!

Every morning I pass by the office spaces of my fellow colleagues and Canuck fans and cry out ..... "yer out of the playoffs you bums" and then " Just joking" with a big smile lying through my teeth!! and for weeks now ... I dont know how but they still believe they can!

Hey here's a dream for ya SJS vs CH at the final Koivu neutralizes Thornton once again! AHHHHH!H!!!!!!

Heheh, I'm right with you buddy. I get lots of abuse from Nuckle fans, just last week they were dissing the Habs saying that a) the Habs would miss the playoffs and B) Vancouver was "so far ahead" of Montreal in the standings. I hope they like the taste of socks, heheh.

But yeah, watching us shutdown Big Bad Joe once again would make me laugh!

I predicted about a month ago that one of the two Canadian teams (Edmonton or Vancouver) and one of the two Californian teams (San Jose or LA) would take the last two sports in the West. Looks like that's what'll happen.

Sorry to any closet Kings fans out there, but LA is a complete joke. Last night they lost 5-0 at home to San Jose. They were outshot in 34-14. They are a disgrace to the NHL. I understand that sometimes a coach burns out a team and the team stops listening... but what kind of team quits on a coach when they're supposedly battling for their playoff lives? And make no mistake, the Kings QUIT on Andy Murray. That team has no spine... not really surprising if you consider that Sean Avery is considered one of their "emotional leaders".

Edited by option+

The Sharks are simply not an 8th-place team. Ever since the Thornton trade, they have been one of the top teams in the NHL, and they have had many multi-game winning streaks. They are simply catching up from a terrible start, and since they were very far behind, it explains why they are still racing, anf not fighting with Dallas for the division lead. I think the Sharks will make the playoffs.

A team no one is mentionning is Colorado. They were hot before trading Aebischer away, and now they are struggling a little bit. Vancouver is terrible, but they are only 3 points behind; if they were to go on a winning streak, they could easily catch up with the Avalanche who are still playing with Bujda in net, and are missing Tanguay and Svatos.

I'll be a good Canadian, and hope that Colorado misses the playoffs, and that both Vancouver and Edmonton make it. That would leave only Toronto out of the playoffs in Canada... :lol:

The Sharks are simply not an 8th-place team. Ever since the Thornton trade, they have been one of the top teams in the NHL, and they have had many multi-game winning streaks. They are simply catching up from a terrible start, and since they were very far behind, it explains why they are still racing, anf not fighting with Dallas for the division lead. I think the Sharks will make the playoffs.

A team no one is mentionning is Colorado. They were hot before trading Aebischer away, and now they are struggling a little bit. Vancouver is terrible, but they are only 3 points behind; if they were to go on a winning streak, they could easily catch up with the Avalanche who are still playing with Bujda in net, and are missing Tanguay and Svatos.

I'll be a good Canadian, and hope that Colorado misses the playoffs, and that both Vancouver and Edmonton make it. That would leave only Toronto out of the playoffs in Canada... :lol:

No ones mentioning us because it's incredibly unlikely we miss the playoffs. Theo is looking like he can play as soon as Sunday and Tangs won't be that far behind him. Latest possible return for him would be Game 1 of the finals. We still have Sakic, Blake, Brunette, Hejduk. Of our recent losses, very few can be blamed on Budaj.

If you think Colorado will miss the playoffs...well...I'll keep quiet. <_<

No ones mentioning us because it's incredibly unlikely we miss the playoffs. Theo is looking like he can play as soon as Sunday and Tangs won't be that far behind him. Latest possible return for him would be Game 1 of the finals. We still have Sakic, Blake, Brunette, Hejduk. Of our recent losses, very few can be blamed on Budaj.

If you think Colorado will miss the playoffs...well...I'll keep quiet. <_<

Well, I think Colorado and San Jose will both make the playoffs, but they could both easily miss them as well. All I was saying is that because the Avalanche wasn't really involved in the race until recently, nobody seemed to notice that Vancouver, 9th in the conference, is only 3 points behind them. If the Avalanche goes through even just a 2-3 game losing streak, they could find themselves out of the playoffs spot.

However, they do have some "easier" games coming (there are no more easy games in today's NHL), and they could secure a spot with their next 3. Also, the fact that Vancouver and San Jose face each other twice really helps their cause, as both teams cannot win these games.

Edited by CerebusClone

Go Flames!!!!

Go away Wings!!!!

Well, I think Colorado and San Jose will both make the playoffs, but they could both easily miss them as well. All I was saying is that because the Avalanche wasn't really involved in the race until recently, nobody seemed to notice that Vancouver, 9th in the conference, is only 3 points behind them. If the Avalanche goes through even just a 2-3 game losing streak, they could find themselves out of the playoffs spot.

However, they do have some "easier" games coming (there are no more easy games in today's NHL), and they could secure a spot with their next 3. Also, the fact that Vancouver and San Jose face each other twice really helps their cause, as both teams cannot win these games.

Oh yeah, 2 or 3 losses can kill anyone but looking at the remaning schedules, I doubt Colorado does that. I mean, we've got St.Louis tomorrow and then Minny on Sunday with games against Phoenix, Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton. The only teams I expect to lose to would be Calgary and Edmonton. Everyone else is beatable.

Oh yeah, 2 or 3 losses can kill anyone but looking at the remaning schedules, I doubt Colorado does that. I mean, we've got St.Louis tomorrow and then Minny on Sunday with games against Phoenix, Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton. The only teams I expect to lose to would be Calgary and Edmonton. Everyone else is beatable.

"Cough" Not with Theo in net.. "second Cough"

lol.....You did say theo was maybe playing for your Avs Sunday? hmmm dont hold your breath! may the force be with ya!

west18df.jpg

http://zorak.best.vwh.net/nhl/

Calgary is 1 point away from clinching

and mm I wonder why you guys dislike Vancouver so much.. is it only because of Bertuzzi, or they're is other reasons?

"Cough" Not with Theo in net.. "second Cough"

lol.....You did say theo was maybe playing for your Avs Sunday? hmmm dont hold your breath! may the force be with ya!

Start chanting for Huet when Aebischer is in net and booing him out of games. Then see how well he plays. He won't perform with everybody ripping him to shreds. Just like Theodore didn't. You guys are ruthless.

Start chanting for Huet when Aebischer is in net and booing him out of games. Then see how well he plays. He won't perform with everybody ripping him to shreds. Just like Theodore didn't. You guys are ruthless.

Well, not that I want to defend those idiots who boo their own players at the Bell Center, but Theodore sort of asked for it. Every single time he had to renegociate a contract with Habs management, he made things very difficult, and made very high demands. Every time, he had made threats of not showing up to camp, and even not starting the season if he didn't get what he wanted.

Now, I'm fine with a player asking for a lot of money, or even not playing if he doesn't get what he wants - that's his right, just like it's the team's right not to sign a player if they don't get their price - however, when you do get that big contract, and not only you don't play at the level you promised you would, but you are just plain awful, you have to expect the fans to be a little mad... especially after threatening the organization not to play.

That reminds of something. I really hated Turner Stevenson as a player - he was probably the less talented player in the NHL at the time, and he was taking a spot from a guy like Valeri Bure - but there is one thing I always recpected about him: when he signed his last contract with the Habs, he said that he wanted X amount of money, and that in return he would score 10 goals. What did he do that year? He scored 10 goals. Unlike guys like Brisebois and Theodore, he didn't compare himself to far superior players like Neely or Tkachuk; he set honest standards for himself, and he reached them.

Edited by CerebusClone

and mm I wonder why you guys dislike Vancouver so much.. is it only because of Bertuzzi, or they're is other reasons?

Well, speaking for myself it's because Vancouver fans are beginning to become like Toronto fans. They're arrogant and think that the Canucks are all that and a sack of potatoes (except they don't have Downey!). I will admit that Bertuzzi is one of the reasons, but his actions pretty much reflect that of the fan base, ignorant rednecks who think they have the best team in the NHL. One more thing, a fair amount of them HATE the Habs, so I take pleasure in laughing at them when Montreal goes deeper in the playoffs than they do, which has been occurring more and more frequently lately. :D

oo I see. Thanks for the explanations :)

Being from eastern Canada, I don't meet often Canucks fans in real life, so I didnt knew they were morphing into something like Leafs fans. Almost all the people here are either Habs or Sens fans, along with the occasional Bruins fan.

I want them to do well only because they are a canadian team, if they were in Seatle I wouldn't care about them

oo I see. Thanks for the explanations :)

Being from eastern Canada, I don't meet often Canucks fans in real life, so I didnt knew they were morphing into something like Leafs fans. Almost all the people here are either Habs or Sens fans, along with the occasional Bruins fan.

I want them to do well only because they are a canadian team, if they were in Seatle I wouldn't care about them

I used to be a Vancouver fan, in fact I was a really big one up until they traded Bure and switched to those god-awful orca jerseys. Then Messier came. :puke: Then Bertuzzi and Naslund had breakout seasons and all of a sudden Vancouver is the favourite to win the Cup for the next 23498235 years...according to Vancouver fans that is.

I'm an Avs fan so I've got plenty of reasons to hate Vancouver. The Canucks are to the Avalanche what the Leafs are to the Habs.

The Canucks are to the Avalanche what the Leafs are to the Habs.

ok gotcha :)

On topic, Calgary and Nashville clinched their spot yesterday and the Kings are in huge trouble.. it's practically impossible for them to get a spot now

Remaining schedules for the teams that havent clinched or been eliminated yet

Anaheim - 5 games left / 94 points

Ap. 10 @ Vancouver

11 @ Calgary

13 @ Edmonton

15 @ San Jose

17 vs Calgary

Colorado - 5 games left / 92 points

Ap. 9 vs Minessotta

11 vs Phoenix

13 @ Calgary

15 @ Vancouver