What's Kovi Trying To Prove

HABS721

Is it just me or is Kovi being a real puck hog of late?

He carries the puck well but just seems to be trying to do too many dipsy-doodles all on his own and not passing the damn puck.

I was thinking that perhaps he doesn't trust his current linemates. I can't remember him ever playing with Ribeiro in the past, and he certainly has never played with Murray.

Either way, I'm in total agreement - he needs to smarten up and share the puck.

The problem is not that he is not passing but rather he is not shooting.

After deaking one player out Kovy should shoot not look for another player to burn.

He did it once yesterday and Ribeiro got the rebound and scored.

Also Kovy is of the opinion that he should not waste possession of the puck. He believes he should only shoot when he has a quality scoring chance, and in some cases he is right when he can lean on defenders for a full 45 seconds it does wear the opposition down.

That is his game.........it is effective as well as entertaining.......It is one of the reasons why we are winning...............Who cares if he's a puck hog or not?.......The opposition is spending so much time & energy trying to chase him down that others are getting open and scoring.................and, by the way, didn't his line score 3 goals last night?

He carries the puck well but just seems to be trying to do too many dipsy-doodles all on his own and not passing the damn puck.

HAAA That’s all I needed to hear now! That and Koivu is still not producing cause he isn’t scoring enough goals!

Leave those two guys alone they are beyond our comprehension! We are not worthy!.. Why start Analyzing the cons of a player with the moves and hands that he has… Better yet lets praise Ribs and Murray for skating to the Net Finally they understand Kovy’s game!

Move on....NExt Topic!

I think he's learned a few things from Markov, and he's gaining confidence... it's a good thing!

Hey Lazy, are you referring to Kovy or Komi?

HAAA That’s all I needed to hear now! That and Koivu is still not producing cause he isn’t scoring enough goals!

Leave those two guys alone they are beyond our comprehension! We are not worthy!.. Why start Analyzing the cons of a player with the moves and hands that he has… Better yet lets praise Ribs and Murray for skating to the Net Finally they understand Kovy’s game!

Move on....NExt Topic!

Totally agree Corvina!

Hey Lazy, are you referring to Kovy or Komi?

I swear the thread title said Komi... :blink: So yeh... Kovy... playing with a lot of confidence too! :blush:

YEAH! me too i'm tired of these kind of topics~~~

kovy had A LOTS of scoring chance lately, he just didnt capitalize~ it's just LUCK!!! or the goalie r doing miracles to stop the puck~~~

kovy and ribs r a great duo of player, they just need another one than MURRAY to complete their line~ i think perezhogin should be a nice choice... at least... better than murray~

dunt forget : KOVY PRODUCE WHEN IT REALLY COUNTS!!! same for saku (as for the winning goal in OT last time against the caps (?) ;))

let's STOP worrying about the individual player's prob~~

TEAM UNIT!!

TEAM SPIRIT!!

TEAM POWER!!!

Kovalev's game plan basically works like this.

Skate to other zone. Get puck. Skate around confused defensemen who lamely follow him around. Look to get to net. Occasionally get hit and fall down. Occasionally cough up puck. But, occasionally...unleash the shot, work a deke and get the beautfiul goal.

Most of the time it doesn't happen, but when it does, hey, that's why Montreal pays him the big bucks. He's not a superstar, but a talented player he sure is.

Move on....NExt Topic!

Ok ok, I'm not trying to jinx anything and was just making an observation that he seemed to hang on to the puck too long and often it was being coughed it up ... NOT ALL THE TIME just more often than not lately.

I've got Bleu Blanc Rouge tatooed on my ass ... and have had for 40+ years guys, through good and bad ... was simply making an observation.

Ok ok, I'm not trying to jinx anything and was just making an observation that he seemed to hang on to the puck too long and often it was being coughed it up ... NOT ALL THE TIME just more often than not lately.

I've got Bleu Blanc Rouge tatooed on my ass ... and have had for 40+ years guys, through good and bad ... was simply making an observation.

tis ok!

Now I'm just bugging ya cause youre coming from the Island!!! :P

I wonder why people prefer making blunt and negative statements instead of questionning their owns

perceptions......well I have seen worst,.....here at least,....some questionnings are involved.

First to clear things up.....isn't a ''puck-hog'' someone who will prefer to score himself against an obvious

and a better passing alternative ? .....and keep doing it over time ?

If it is the case,....your eyes needed be schecked....otherwise look at his stats.....they are a good reflexion

of how he played the game this year.

Personally I see Kovalev as someone who affectionnate above all the concept of '' team puck possession '' similar to the one that made the Soviets famous for........he keeps seeing the New Enlarged Offensive Zone of the NewNHL as so much more inclined to benefit from it than the previously restricted area.....so he keeps proposing a dance that is sometime at odd with the responsiveness and ability of some of his dancing partners lately......and as a consequence he get stock with the puck a little longer than he would wish for.

This second line has been weightened down with Zednick's having problem with his own play........ '' the revolving door factor '' this line have been sujected to since can also give a good indication about why things could be better.

Gainey' response to the Zednick situation has been to temporarely replace him with Murray,.....he has

his reasons I guess........but I shure would have like to see if Perezhogin would have responded better to

the Kovalev's way......but yeaa until then,..or until more appropriate linemates shows up next year...as said JMMR, it might be better for us if he goes with the buziness of shootings a little more and expect Murray to be jumping in for returns.

I wrote that before having read HABS721 answering is own self.

A little contextualising never hurts.

Edited by PB

I want Perezhogin back on line 2! Murray has been playing well but I am sorry people, he does not belong on the 2nd line.

I totally agree, Perezhogin definitley deserves 2nd line time, or atleast keep Bulis or Zednik(whoever isn't benched) there. Murray should be moved back to the 3rd or 4th line where he is most effective.

I agree... and made a similar remark in the Ribeiro thread. Kovalev has always had the tendency to hang on to the puck and try to dance around the opposition, sometimes successfully. The problem lately is that he hasn't been too successful, which has led to losing the puck, usually around the offensive zone blue line while his teammates are deep in the zone, which seldom leads to good things.

To all those who are a little touchy on any kind of observation with negative implications - LIGHTEN UP! Nobody has questioned Kovalev's value to the team in general. We all know we'd be dead to rights without him. None of this puts him beyond a critical examination of his game.

As a consummate professional, we know that Kovalev, more than anyone else, is aware of the giveaways, and will work diligently to correct it.

:hlogo:

I agree... and made a similar remark in the Ribeiro thread. Kovalev has always had the tendency to hang on to the puck and try to dance around the opposition, sometimes successfully. The problem lately is that he hasn't been too successful, which has led to losing the puck, usually around the offensive zone blue line while his teammates are deep in the zone, which seldom leads to good things.

Well maybe they just need a goal scorer on their line. Someone who WONT pass the puck and will just shot. Someone like Ryder, or maybe a Zednik. I like Bulis there, but he just doesn't have that touch, although 2 goals in 2 games isn't too shabby

I was thinking that perhaps he doesn't trust his current linemates. I can't remember him ever playing with Ribeiro in the past, and he certainly has never played with Murray.

Either way, I'm in total agreement - he needs to smarten up and share the puck.

ummm sorry to disappoint u but KOVALEV is the one who tell the coaching staff that he wanted to play along with ribeiro... so he totally trust ribeiro~ when he has the puck and is in trouble, most of the time, u will see him giving the puck to ribeiro... i really think that we just need to find the right 3rd player on that 2nd line and we'll be in business~ perezhogin... but maybe bulis will do the job too... now that bulis is fighting to *keep* his place in the lineup against zednik, i think he will work even harder and score beautiful goals as we need~

the koivu - higgins - ryder line~ higgins and ryder just wait for saku to give them the puck and they will score~ we used to see the first line as zednik-koivu-kovalev... it used to work, but not anymore~ the fact is koivu is playing on the first line, kovalev on the 2nd line, and zednik is not even playing (!) as time goes by... we need some adjustment to be ready for the playoffs~

huet better keep on shutout-ing the ennemies ^_^

That is his game.........it is effective as well as entertaining.......It is one of the reasons why we are winning...............Who cares if he's a puck hog or not?.......The opposition is spending so much time & energy trying to chase him down that others are getting open and scoring.................and, by the way, didn't his line score 3 goals last night?

i totally agree. some Puck Hogs, like say Bulis before his current incarnation, keep the puck but it's in a selfish way. the way i see it, Kovalev is only trying to find a play. he's just adding to the team, folks. he doesn't lose the puck. what's to bitch about? he's one of the very few players doing *something* out there. and i also thought it looked like he was making up for his linemates. he can do these things. and incredibly well. let him do his job - we're winning games because of it :)

Kovalev does that because that's what Kovalev does. He's a talented enough guy to do it more often than not. The best thing his linemates can do is try not to stare in awe and charge the net to help convince Alex to shoot or pass.

Once again, this is where a power forward comes in handy. Park a big ass in front of the net to give the defencemen and goalie fits and give Kovalev the room and options.

Since that guy isn't currently on the Habs roster, Ribiero and *insert whoever is on the second line next game here* just need to grit their teeth and charge.

Habs721 You'ved opened a big can of worms! haha But don't worry Were glad you did!! its what makes the habsworld forum so interesting! otherwise we would be talking about Magic numbers! or Potatoes! hehehe

good show!