Most Memorable Stanley Cup Win

Strummerman

??? You must mean Hull and Mikita, because Bobby Orr was in his prime and Phil Esposito had just broken Bobby Hull's record by a country mile with 76 goals.

As for Hull, this is before he went to the WHA where he had 5 more great years with the Jets. Tony O was in his prime and Mikita was just past his prime. You forget the hawks and the Bruins both finished first in each conference. The habs finished third I think

Frank Mahovlich wasnt bad either nor Lapointe. Too bad Serge Savard was injured and did not play. I also remember Rejean Houle shadowing Bobby Hull. JC Tremblay was almost as dominant as Bobby Orr. And dont forget Fergie who scored some important goals and had a temper tantrum when Mcneil becnhed him for a game. Peter M was outstanding against the hawks. Terry harper had his moments.

Yeah a lot of guys stood out that year, but the leadership those guys provided in that series was phenomenal.

And let's face it - it was pretty much Dryden who stoned the Bruins that year......

That 1971 cup win was my second best. My all-time best has to be that 79 series against the Bruins. It went to the seventh game and we tied it with a minute and a half to go in the game. Then we won in overtime. That was the game where Cherry stands on his bench and and keeps bowing to the fans. They show that all the time on coaches corner. Of course, this series was only the semifinals. But the finals against the Rangers seemed anti-climatic somehow.

Of course, none of these come even close to that 1972 series win against the Soviets. (I realize that only Canadians can appreciate that.)

- Jack

Edited by jackp

That 1971 cup win was my second best. My all-time best has to be that 79 series against the Bruins. It went to the seventh game and we tied it with a minute and a half to go in the game. Then we won in overtime. That was the game where Cherry stands on his bench and and keeps bowing to the fans. They show that all the time on coaches corner. Of course, this series was only the semifinals. But the finals against the Rangers seemed anti-climatic somehow.

Of course, none of these come even close to that 1972 series win against the Soviets. (I realize that only Canadians can appreciate that.)

- Jack

That was a great game in '79 - but the overall series itself wasn't that great when compared to '71

Nothing compares to '72 though - closest the rest of those encounters came was the '76 Canada Cup verses the Czech team. Dzurilla's performance in that one game was incredible, and the last game was a classic.....

If memory serves me right - Big Pete Mahovlich and then the rest of them swapping sweaters with the Czechs was a Kodak moment for sportsmanship!

That was a great game in '79 - but the overall series itself wasn't that great when compared to '71

Nothing compares to '72 though

I was lucky enough to have been at that '79 game and that was the loudest I've ever heard the forum when Lambert scored the overtime winner. I had to yell in my buddy's ear right next to me, for him to be able to hear me.

I was also at the first '72 game. My season tickets didn't help me there though. You had to win a kind of lottery for the right to buy tickets for the game! I ended up with standing room. The forum was incredibly hot. (It was 80+ farenheit). There was a kind of fog on the ice. We expected to win big and got clobbered 7-3. The main difference in the game was goaltending though. We had many chances but Tretiak was Tretiak, whereas Dryden absolutely stunk. I'll never forget the look of stunned shock that was on so many people's faces when the game ended. "Maybe hockey wasn't our game after all," was what those faces seemed to be suggesting...

- Jack

I was lucky enough to have been at that '79 game and that was the loudest I've ever heard the forum when Lambert scored the overtime winner. I had to yell in my buddy's ear right next to me, for him to be able to hear me.

I was also at the first '72 game. My season tickets didn't help me there though. You had to win a kind of lottery for the right to buy tickets for the game! I ended up with standing room. The forum was incredibly hot. (It was 80+ farenheit). There was a kind of fog on the ice. We expected to win big and got clobbered 7-3. The main difference in the game was goaltending though. We had many chances but Tretiak was Tretiak, whereas Dryden absolutely stunk. I'll never forget the look of stunned shock that was on so many people's faces when the game ended. "Maybe hockey wasn't our game after all," was what those faces seemed to be suggesting...

- Jack

Yeah I rember a lot of pretty stunned looking Canadian hockey fans that night.

When you look back on it now, it probably was the best thing that ever happened to our game though.

But it sure was a dark night for Canadian hockey at the time.....