Most Memorable Stanley Cup Win

Strummerman

This is for the oldtimers. I just watched the Habs win in overtime, and I was reminded of that game in 1971- Bruins ahead 5-0 in the second period- but the Habs won that game Fergie Beliveau Lemaire Mahovlich- I think the pocket rocket started the comeback- I think the final score was 7-5. The Bruins had Orr Espo Bucyk etc etc- The habs had the Mahovlich brothers, Beliveau, Lemaire, Cournoyer, Fergie, Lapointe, Henri Richard, Houle, Tardif. Laperierre, JC Tremblay and of course Ken Dryden. The most exciting playoffs I ever saw cause the habs were the underdogs. They defeated the big bad Bruins in 7 games , then the North Stars in 6 and that was a heckuva of a series as well, and finally the hawks in 7 where Dryden and Tony O went at it for 7 games, Finally Beliveau retires after game 7 carrying the cup around Chicago stadium for the first time

This is for the oldtimers. I just watched the Habs win in overtime, and I was reminded of that game in 1971- Bruins ahead 5-0 in the second period- but the Habs won that game Fergie Beliveau Lemaire Mahovlich- I think the pocket rocket started the comeback- I think the final score was 7-5. The Bruins had Orr Espo Bucyk etc etc- The habs had the Mahovlich brothers, Beliveau, Lemaire, Cournoyer, Fergie, Lapointe, Henri Richard, Houle, Tardif. Laperierre, JC Tremblay and of course Ken Dryden. The most exciting playoffs I ever saw cause the habs were the underdogs. They defeated the big bad Bruins in 7 games , then the North Stars in 6 and that was a heckuva of a series as well, and finally the hawks in 7 where Dryden and Tony O went at it for 7 games, Finally Beliveau retires after game 7 carrying the cup around Chicago stadium for the first time

Boy that brings back fabulous memories. I remember that great upset of Boston (one in a long sequence over the Bruins) of course. But what I really remember was watching game 7 of the cup final with my dad. Chicago was up 2-0 halfway throught the game and Esposito had been great. Then Jacques Lemaire scored on a slapshot (he had a cannon) from just over center, Then in the 3rd, Henri Richard scored two and we won 3-2. Boy was that great.

Edited by Peter Puck

Boy that brings back fabulous memories. I remember that great upset of Boston (one in a long sequence over the Bruins) of course. But what I really remember was watching game 7 of the cup final with my dad. Chicago was up 2-0 halfway throught the game and Esposito had been great. Then Jacques Lemaire scored on a slapshot f(he had a cannon) rom just over center, Then in the 3rd, Henri Richard scored two and we won 3-2. Boy was that great.

funny now that reminds me that comeback was the second game in the playoffs that year and the habs were on the road- another thing that I remember Bobby Orr got a 10 minute misconduct in the third period as the habs rolled. And I remember Beliveau got a 10 minutes misconduct in the first game which the habs lost. Red Fisher says Beliveau got the misconduct cause he asked the referee " Isnt this a great game" The referree says "yes it is" and then Beliveau replied " Too bad you missed it" yuk yuk yuk

Edited by Strummerman

My dad talks about it all the time that is his favourite!

His close favourite is the one where the Canadiens lost game one to the Rangers then went undefeated to the cup!

Well, this old-timer's most memorable Canadiens Stanley Cup win was the 1971 win where the Canadiens took out the mighty Boston Bruins (Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, etc) and then took out a mighty Chicago Blackhawks team in the Finals.

This was a win that was THOROUGHLY unexpected and yet, well deserved... much more than the wins of 1986 and 1993.yet

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

Hmm... I can see see it all through a cloudy mist in my mind...

It's 2006, and the Canadiens have captured the hearts of all of Canada (minus Sens fans) after they knocked out both the 2nd and 1st seeds in the East to make it to the Conference finals..

They then faced a hard-fought battle against the Buffalo Sabres but pulled out a Game 7 win by a 2-0 score. Off to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in 13 years to face the well rested Detroit Redwings.

The Habs hope to become the first Cinderella team in the new millenium to actually win the Cup, after watching the Anaheim Mighty Ducks lose to the Devils, the Carolina Hurricanes lose it to these same Red Wings, and more recently the Calgary Flames lose a 7th game battle against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Suprisingly, they finish the Wings off at home in Game 6, which leads to another riot in downtown Montreal!

Great times!

Hmm... I can see see it all through a cloudy mist in my mind...

It's 2006, and the Canadiens have captured the hearts of all of Canada (minus Sens fans) after they knocked out both the 2nd and 1st seeds in the East to make it to the Conference finals..

They then faced a hard-fought battle against the Buffalo Sabres but pulled out a Game 7 win by a 2-0 score. Off to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in 13 years to face the well rested Detroit Redwings.

The Habs hope to become the first Cinderella team in the new millenium to actually win the Cup, after watching the Anaheim Mighty Ducks lose to the Devils, the Carolina Hurricanes lose it to these same Red Wings, and more recently the Calgary Flames lose a 7th game battle against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Suprisingly, they finish the Wings off at home in Game 6, which leads to another riot in downtown Montreal!

Great times!

A real hot time in town with general mass destruction (à la 1993 Stanley Cup win) - what a bunch of stupids to do that and soil a worthy victory.

Shh, don't diss the future riot!

That's where I'm going to get my new computer so I can post here again and say "I told ya it would happen!"

[ Appologies for hijacking this thread's topic ;) ]

1986!

Roy played the most incredible hockey I have ever seen. Anyone remember the overtime PK saves he was making? Incredible

As good as Roy was in 86 Dryden was better in 71, Roy didnt have to face Bobby Orr and the Big bad bruins or the hawks with Hull and Mikita

Well, this old-timer's most memorable Canadiens Stanley Cup win was the 1971 win where the Canadiens took out the mighty Boston Bruins (Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, etc) and then took out a mighty Chicago Blackhawks team in the Finals.

This was a win that was THOROUGHLY unexpected and yet, well deserved... much more than the wins of 1986 and 1993.yet

At the time the Bruins looked like the greatest team of all time, but as Dick irvin likes to point out the 71 Habs had more hall of famers then the 71 Bruins

The 1993 Cup win is the one that stands out for me: those overtimes probably took a few years off of my life, but well worth it!!! I was in Montreal to watch the clincher at a sports bar...what an incredible atmosphere to be in at 18 years old!!!

Edited by sbhatt

As good as Roy was in 86 Dryden was better in 71, Roy didnt have to face Bobby Orr and the Big bad bruins or the hawks with Hull and Mikita

At the time the Bruins looked like the greatest team of all time, but as Dick irvin likes to point out the 71 Habs had more hall of famers then the 71 Bruins

who were mostly at the end or beginings of their careers.

For me it has to be the 1993 cup... cause I was like 5 yrs old in 1986. I do however have a vague recollection of hearing about some heroic weirdo wunderkind in nets.

1971 sounds like a magical year.

The 1944 cup must have been amazing. 13 yrs since the previous cup, a ton of years in the cellar then a combination of a new management and coaching group and some young guns just starting to really produce lead to the promised land...... hmmmm... ok, Im now officially nuts.

The 1993 Cup win is the one that stands out for me: those overtimes probably took a few years off of my life, but well worth it!!! I was in Montreal to watch the clincher at a sports bar...what an incredible atmosphere to be in at 18 years old!!!

Listening to last night's double OT instantly reminded me of the '93 run.

You can't tell me that an overtime record of 10-1 (or was it 11-1?) isn't memorable, not to mention gutsy, championship material.

While we're at it, are there any videos/DVDs of the older championships?

Edited by ozhab

I remember the '93 Cup win...barely. :D

I was only six at the time, but it was something else.

I was only six too and really the only game that i remember was the night the Habs won the cup(I was allowed to stay up for that one). Plus its great that I can tell all of my leaffan friends that Ive seen my team win a cup instead of reading about it in a dusty old history book. :P

:hlogo:

'71.....

Definitely 1971 - hands down I'd say!!!!!

Given absolutely no chance at all by anybody they knocked off the mighty Bruins who were basically expected to simply annihalete the Habs. Never forget the stunned look on the faces of Esposito, Orr and company when the final buzzer sounded on what may have been the biggest upset ever in the playoffs?

I bet a few bucks on them in that series from my part time job during high school and collected the profits with great pleasure that year. :lol: B)

Richard, Beliveau & Tremblay were outstanding leaders that year, Cournoyer was a speed demon the Bruins couldn't handle, and Lemaire was just coming into his own at the time. Of course the big story and the main reason was Dryden - that one big goalmouth save on Esposito and his reaction told it all!!!!!

I remember the '93 Cup win...barely. :D

I was only six at the time, but it was something else.

I was only six too and really the only game that i remember was the night the Habs won the cup(I was allowed to stay up for that one). Plus its great that I can tell all of my leaffan friends that Ive seen my team win a cup instead of reading about it in a dusty old history book. :P

:hlogo:

Funny, I was 6 as well. That'd make us all about the same age then, wouldn't it! :D

Either of you born June 22nd?

who were mostly at the end or beginings of their careers.

For me it has to be the 1993 cup... cause I was like 5 yrs old in 1986. I do however have a vague recollection of hearing about some heroic weirdo wunderkind in nets.

1971 sounds like a magical year.

The 1944 cup must have been amazing. 13 yrs since the previous cup, a ton of years in the cellar then a combination of a new management and coaching group and some young guns just starting to really produce lead to the promised land...... hmmmm... ok, Im now officially nuts.

??? You must mean Hull and Mikita, because Bobby Orr was in his prime and Phil Esposito had just broken Bobby Hull's record by a country mile with 76 goals.

As for Hull, this is before he went to the WHA where he had 5 more great years with the Jets. Tony O was in his prime and Mikita was just past his prime. You forget the hawks and the Bruins both finished first in each conference. The habs finished third I think

'71.....

Definitely 1971 - hands down I'd say!!!!!

Given absolutely no chance at all by anybody they knocked off the mighty Bruins who were basically expected to simply annihalete the Habs. Never forget the stunned look on the faces of Esposito, Orr and company when the final buzzer sounded on what may have been the biggest upset ever in the playoffs?

I bet a few bucks on them in that series from my part time job during high school and collected the profits with great pleasure that year. :lol: B)

Richard, Beliveau & Tremblay were outstanding leaders that year, Cournoyer was a speed demon the Bruins couldn't handle, and Lemaire was just coming into his own at the time. Of course the big story and the main reason was Dryden - that one big goalmouth save on Esposito and his reaction told it all!!!!!

Frank Mahovlich wasnt bad either nor Lapointe. Too bad Serge Savard was injured and did not play. I also remember Rejean Houle shadowing Bobby Hull. JC Tremblay was almost as dominant as Bobby Orr. And dont forget Fergie who scored some important goals and had a temper tantrum when Mcneil becnhed him for a game. Peter M was outstanding against the hawks. Terry harper had his moments.

??? You must mean Hull and Mikita, because Bobby Orr was in his prime and Phil Esposito had just broken Bobby Hull's record by a country mile with 76 goals.

As for Hull, this is before he went to the WHA where he had 5 more great years with the Jets. Tony O was in his prime and Mikita was just past his prime. You forget the hawks and the Bruins both finished first in each conference. The habs finished third I think

Probably a reference to a few of the veteran Habs who were on the downside of their career?