Gretzky Nhl 06

Fanpuck33

I wasn't overly impressed by EA's title this year, so I wanted to try out the other NHL title this year. (Using a free trial from GameFly). The title comes from the people who brought the NHL Faceoff series to the PS1, my favorite NHL series of games. They have stuggled on the PS2, but I was willing to try them out again.

Commentary: I hate EA's commentators, so it's not hard to beat them. With that in mind, I love the commentary on the Gretzky title. Play by play from Mike Emerick and color from Darren Pang is excellent for a hockey game.

Graphics: So, these people still haven't figured out they aren't on PS1 yet. Players look good up close, but the ice looks like a white roller hockey floor. Player movement doesn't look very good and everything just doesn't look nice.

Gameplay: Wow, I think the gameplay was better on PS1. Players don't go where you tell them, they don't pass where you want them to (unless you use direct passing). Checking is pathetic and fighting is worthless. Wrist shots look terrible and shooting in general is lame. Absolutely terrible gameplay.

Rosters: Very outdated out of the box, and online roster updates don't include trade deadline stuff. (Don't think EA ever did that for PS2 either, so not a huge knock). You can actually sign players to legit deals and offer more than 3 years on a contract. Full AHL rosters are available, so you can demote and promote players, and all AHLers seem to be on the game.

Options: Not a lot of options, can't even configure the controller.

Pros: I love the AHL rosters. Kosty, Danis, Locke, Cote, etc all come loaded on the game.

Cons: Pretty much everything else.

Overall: Lousy game.

You didn't like EA NHL06?

IMO it's their best since '01.

While the player customizability (lol, is that a word?) isn't that great, you can import your own team and play out a dynasty. the goals given by the owner are realistic, the graphics are superb (i mean, Lindy Ruff looks like Lindy Ruff! and Pat Quinn looks like Pat Quinn! except he's sitting in the crowd now... tee hee)

i'd give it a 8/10, for lack of better player-making-stuff and lack of an all-star skills contest.

You didn't like EA NHL06?

IMO it's their best since '01.

While the player customizability (lol, is that a word?) isn't that great, you can import your own team and play out a dynasty. the goals given by the owner are realistic, the graphics are superb (i mean, Lindy Ruff looks like Lindy Ruff! and Pat Quinn looks like Pat Quinn! except he's sitting in the crowd now... tee hee)

i'd give it a 8/10, for lack of better player-making-stuff and lack of an all-star skills contest.

I agree, I thought they rebounded well from the craptastic NHL 05 (although nothing will beat 03). Considering 03, 04 and 05...06 wasn't half bad. It wasn't great, but they've done much worse.

For a real hockey game though, the 2k series is the way to go. I haven't played 2k6 but 2k5 is to die for.

I thought NHL 2002 and 2003 were absolutely awful. They were completely cheesy and arcadish. NHL 2004 is by far my favorite of the EA series. The controller setup was disliked by many, but I absolutely loved it. Passing was very realistic and user controlled. The puck went exactly where you wanted it. And being able to deke and shoot with the right analog stick was awesome. You could absolutely school a goalie and lose no time having to go back to the shoot button.

NHL 06 is far too arcadelike again. The skill stick is totally lame and the deke moves with the left stick suck. Medium is way too easy and all hard does is make your goalie suck, so scores are like 8-7 all the time. Also, how lame is it that you can't play against human opponents in season and dynasty mode? Why on earth do they prevent you from being able to do so? In 2005 they wouldn't let you setup a season game with humans on opposite teams, but once it loaded you could then switch over.

I got a lot more enjoyment out of 2005, and tons more out of 2004. How I crave updated rosters for NHL 04, haha.

2005 had no create-a-player mode. That right there is an instant phail.

However the options for 2k5 are beyond insane. All kinds of historic jerseys and teams, mini games, create a player mode, a sweet franchise mode, skills competition, unlockable arenas. One of the best hockey games ever. The last EA game I remember enjoying immensely was '99.

2005 had no create-a-player mode. That right there is an instant phail.

That did suck, but the most important thing to me is gameplay, and it wasn't as good as 2004, but better than 2006. The "momentum skating" in 06 seems overdone and checking was a lot better in the last couple years.

After your glowing review of 2k5, I put NHL 2k6 on the top of my queue, hopefully it will get sent out soon enough that I get a good chance to play it before my trial expires.

And by the way, it's not that I don't like Jim Hughson, I'm just sick of the same commentary for the last 3 years.

Odd, I was quite satisfied personally with NHL '06, much more than NHL '05. Then again I'm not a difficult gamer to please , I like virtually all the games I play. Something may alter my judgment as well : I skipped nearly 10 years of hockey games. I went right from the SNES era NHL games (NHL '97 for SNES was the last I played seriously) to the PS2/Gamecube ones (NHL '05 for Gamecube). I was too busy with Final Fantasy 7 and 8 during the PS1 era to bother with hockey games.

Somethign I find odd tough is than no one seems to be satisfied with EA Games (not only hockey, but in general) yet everybody buy them ! Kinda like Wal Mart.. everybody criticise them yet everybody still shop they're.

I love EA games in general NCAA Football is a great title every year, and Madden is pretty good too. Their older Bond games were pretty good, but the newer ones have very poor controller options and you can't reconfigure them. Nightfire is my favorite EA Bond game, and there were like 10 controller options. Fifa is another console series that I enjoy a lot. Not the best game for gameplay always, but excellent roster options and such.

For computer, their Medal Honor Series is amazing. Allied Assault is one of my favorite games of all time.

It's not that I don't like NHL 06, I just don't like the gameplay as much as 04 and 05. NHL 05 was a disappointment compared to 04, but being able to play against a friend in my season helped make up for it. Being forced to play the computer in my season just pissed me off and it's other minimal features didn't make up for the disappointment. I dream of the day when the dynasty mode is as intense as Madden.

That did suck, but the most important thing to me is gameplay, and it wasn't as good as 2004, but better than 2006. The "momentum skating" in 06 seems overdone and checking was a lot better in the last couple years.

After your glowing review of 2k5, I put NHL 2k6 on the top of my queue, hopefully it will get sent out soon enough that I get a good chance to play it before my trial expires.

And by the way, it's not that I don't like Jim Hughson, I'm just sick of the same commentary for the last 3 years.

Then you should all sports games. :P

If Madden didn't always kick so much ass, I'd never buy the game because of the same stupid crap Madden is always spewing. Especially when you miss with the hit stick and he reems you out for it. Shut the hell up!

If any franchise mode is worth copying, it'd definitely be Madden though.

o my bad, seems like I misinterpreted your original message. Sorry bout that.

. I dream of the day when the dynasty mode is as intense as Madden.

What's so good about it? I never played Madden for more than 5 minutes because I'm no fan of american football.

I'm no fan of the NFL either (but then again, we have three equivalents here in Australia), but the dynasty mode is spectacular with Madden. Their create-a-player options, the in-game strategies, graphics, AI, consistently great. You should try it.

That's another thing that bugs me about NHL06. It's an upgraded AI over all the other ones, but there are still obvious bugs (like your own players running into you behind the net, or an attempted dump/ice is so soft, you're lucky if it reaches the end of the ice).

The 2K versions always make me thing of Syphon Filter in the way they skate. I love how EA replicates hits and skating, I find them closest to the real thing.

Slightly off topic I know. .but LOL nice mistake in NHL 2K5

mistake2xg.jpg

I've got ESPN Hockey 2k4..never really liked it. The options are all there, but the graphics are just repulsive, and the skills are pretty crap.

I liked NHL 2001 I think. I definitely liked NHL 2004 as well. NHL 05, I didnt mind. 2003/2002 were crap. As for 06, I played it for a bit ,didnt find too much different between it and 05.