Habs Lock Up Begin For 3 Years, Downey For 1

Why Begin for a million dollars? He may not be that good but the fact is that our team without Begin is not near as good as our team with Begin and that difference is more than a million dollars' worth, I think. Yes, Koivu is overpaid but without him we would have to restart building our team and redo all the dark ages - our team just simply cannot compete without him. So he deserves the extra money. Kovalev gets too much money but without him, our team just lacks the skill and offensive firepower that it needs. Sometimes you have to overpay your stars because they have more value to the team than just goals and assists.

And Gainey being generous wiht his contracts may help out in the long term. Players don't like dealing with cheap lowballing GMs and may leave the team for another one with a GM who doesn't do small talk. The organization getting respect from the players is very important in creating a family environment.

Why Begin for a million dollars? He may not be that good but the fact is that our team without Begin is not near as good as our team with Begin and that difference is more than a million dollars' worth, I think. Yes, Koivu is overpaid but without him we would have to restart building our team and redo all the dark ages - our team just simply cannot compete without him. So he deserves the extra money. Kovalev gets too much money but without him, our team just lacks the skill and offensive firepower that it needs. Sometimes you have to overpay your stars because they have more value to the team than just goals and assists.

And Gainey being generous wiht his contracts may help out in the long term. Players don't like dealing with cheap lowballing GMs and may leave the team for another one with a GM who doesn't do small talk. The organization getting respect from the players is very important in creating a family environment.

I also tought that Koivu was overpaid at first, but with the cap going up and all the huge $ contracts being signed lately, Koivu doesn't sound overpaid anymore.

As much as I like Richards, Koivu at 4.75M$ is a better bang for your $ then Richrads at 7.8M$. In other words, I prefer Koivu and Huet (assuming he will make 3M$) then just Richards on my team. In fact, I expect Huet to be at 2M$, so thats Koivu, Huet and Begin vs. Richards, easy choice to make.

I love the Begin signing but Murray and Downey is unnecessary. Both players have reached their potential limits and at this point they are just chewing up ice time that could be used for one of the young guys that makes the team.

I think Begin was slightly overpaid as well. Especially considering they ripped up his option for this year. Yes he is an integral part of the Montreal roster, who does many things to help this club win.

But he could have probably been signed for less. Maybe only $150,000 per season less or so. Gainey did slightly overpay for Begin, much the same way he did for Koivu.

Begin is not a player who can play on every line and he proved that during the playoffs. He is an awesone third line forward, but his offensive limitations prevent him from being anything more.

But anyways, the signing happened, and he's a very important part of this Montreal Canadiens squad and I'm glad he's on board.

I'd have to think Gainey will be trying pretty hard to dump Bonk and his salary.

Edited by kaos

I love the Begin signing but Murray and Downey is unnecessary. Both players have reached their potential limits and at this point they are just chewing up ice time that could be used for one of the young guys that makes the team.

The Murray signing is an excellent move - he brings energy and a physical game that was lacking at times in the habs's lineup(and he can skate/add some offense when needed.) Gainey and Carbonneau recognize this attribute and what it brings to the mix in a team. No grit - no glory. Murray did exactly what a player of that role is expected, and the Habs have few of him in their system currently ready to play at the NHL level.

Downey is there as the new breed of tough guy who will fill a role when called upon against certain teams.

Good enough to just push the guys who are slightly better..... it keeps them hungry and one step ahead of him.

Both of these signings are part of the building process. They may stay longer, or they may just be here till the next better player is ready to step up and fill that role? it's all about patience when filling out a successful roster!

The Habs team of the 70's was built on that theory - good players in the press box and on the farm team who pushed the even better players everynight. Gainey grew up under that system, and understands its' inherent values of somebody lurking over your shoulder who could take your place tomorrow night.

If they didn't sign Downey, they would've just gone out and signed a similar player for around the same money, so the fact that he stayed with the team doesn't bother me at all. It's not like Downey and Kostitsyn are going to be fighting for a roster spot against each other.

And I got just the response I expected in terms of Begin, but I think everyone missed my point. I'll start by saying I'm happy they locked him up for three more years. I like Begin. But hockey economics are so far out of whack, even still! Over 1M per year is a lot of money for a guy whose ROLE is as a 4th line player. Sure, he can do more in a pinch, but so should most 4th liners, as long as they aren't asked to be a front line player for a couple of weeks at a time. It's funny how people here arbitrarily through about a million here, a million there, as if it's an insignificant number.

Edited by huzer

It's not your money so what's the big deal. I love those 3 signings, the habs over the past several years have been pushed around by other teams. This is a step to even the field. You also forgot to mention that both Begin and Murray will be key penalty killers. You won't see top players killing penalties much anymore with the additional specialty teams play.

Plus talk about people who are over paid, let's go with Souray, Zednick, i'm throwing in Ribiero even thouigh i don't think he'll be back.

Also, remember the team will be saving money with I'm assuming Simpson, Ribiero, Bulis, Sundstrom won't be back and i think there will be a trade involving zednick and maybe souray. I'm also assuming Aebi will be moved as well.

The pay raises for Higgins and komisarek added to the budget. I think there will be 1 maybe 2 real good free agent signings.

If they didn't sign Downey, they would've just gone out and signed a similar player for around the same money, so the fact that he stayed with the team doesn't bother me at all. It's not like Downey and Kostitsyn are going to be fighting for a roster spot against each other.

And I got just the response I expected in terms of Begin, but I think everyone missed my point. I'll start by saying I'm happy they locked him up for three more years. I like Begin. But hockey economics are so far out of whack, even still! Over 1M per year is a lot of money for a guy whose ROLE is as a 4th line player. Sure, he can do more in a pinch, but so should most 4th liners, as long as they aren't asked to be a front line player for a couple of weeks at a time. It's funny how people here arbitrarily through about a million here, a million there, as if it's an insignificant number.

Not much we as fans can say about the current economics of the NHL, or any other sports. We keep cheering and buying tickets so we get what we deserve..... that salary is in keeping with the cost of doing business in the NHL, right or wrong?

Is he worth that much - more realistic and better question is whether any athlete or entertainer is worth that much?