Habs Lock Up Begin For 3 Years, Downey For 1

I'm curious as to the financials, but nobody can aruge about resigning Begin. The guy is a blood and guts leader on this team and he'll do whatever it takes to help the team win.

Downey was serviceable, but i suspect he's making no more than the minimum, he will only see time when we need a tough guy in the lineup and will hoepfully be more willing to protect his teamates when required.

Overall solid moves, nothing suprising.

Next up for the CH; Cristobal Huet

Real good move by the habs. The Begin Bonk Downey line was very good at the end of the year. They do there roles. As much as i would like to see Downey drop the gloves more he does what he is asked to do, once he was inserted in the lineup other teams didn't take as many liberties as in the past. As a bonus he does not hurt you in any zone on the ice. (Doesn't help much either). Plus i thought the habs played tougher as a team when he played.

I agree gohabsgo, he'll play half the year on the fourth line. The question is which rookie will split the time with him, Lapierre or ferland. I don't know enough about either of them to comment.

DITTO!

Great news!

Bégin was a steal from Buffalo and the steal continues.

Yessssssssssssssss............

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Well, bth, the signings show that things are surely happening.

Setting the roots down for a strong club and, in three weeks, reaching out for more prospects and a continued future. :)

I'm always enjoying this club, even when things are unsure. Things haven't looked this 'sure' in a long time. :):):)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Anybody heard the finacial terms for Downey and Murray?

I'd have to say around $600,000 for Downey and Maybe around $700,000 to $750,000 per season for Murray?

At the most, probably a little less less, Dawney is more like league minimum, $500,000 top and Murray was not eligible for arbitration, so probably more like $600,000.

Not to discount the importance of these signings, because I like all three players, but I think Begin at 1M/yr (and I"m sure I'll get crap for this) is a bit much money for a fourth liner. I know he's a spark plug, etc, etc...but that just seems like a lot.

Granted roster size is much different in the NHL than NFL, but when you look at an NFL team, there are a few of the veterans making league minimum (still a hefty salary)...yet it's rare you find anyone (other than players on their initial contracts) making the NHL league minimum anymore. An NHL team (if it spends to the cap) still spends more per player than an NFL team (if it spends to the cap).

Off of that soapbox, I'm glad Gainey is keeping these players around...Downey, had me let him go, would've just replaced him with a similar player, so I'm fine with that. Murray and Begin are energy guys that the Habs have been lacking for a while, so it's great that they're locked up. Just stay healthy, Steve!

Edited by huzer

Begin's salary can be justified by the fact that he isn't a 4th line guy. He's an energy guy and proved that he can play on all lines like he did throughout the season.

"It's never been about the money. The important thing is that I'm going to be here for at least three more seasons. I love this team. I love this city. I love the fans.

I appreciate the confidence the team has in me."

-Steve Begin

Source:

Begin worth more to Habs than mere numbers