Canadiens Going Solo In Hamilton Next Year?

shortcat1

I read on another fans site that the Hamilton Spectator reported an article that the Canadiens were going it alone with the Bulldogs next year.

The thing about it is that I haven't been able to find another article on this. Nothing on the Bulldogs site, nothing in the Canadiens site, nothing in the sports news sites that I checked.

Yet, the strange thing is that I remember reading or hearing that the Oilers wanted to split the Bulldogs roster 50/50 but that the Canadiens refused. The Oilers refused the Canadiens 'counter-offer' (likely keeping the status quo). This all resulted in the dissolution of the association between the two teams. I also read that the Oilers were shopping around to find another team who would go with a 50/50 kind of partnership.

I also read that the Canadiens would allow the Bulldogs owner to bring in a couple of his own players but at his own expense.

This is pretty specific for speculation on my part but aside from that, I've got nothing else that I can offer to verify this 'rumour'.

In any case, for all the potential problems it could mean for the success of the team, I like the idea.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

There was a press release months ago saying that for the 06/07 season the Habs would go it alone as they felt they needed more ice time at the AHL level for their prospects. THey really shouldn't have a problem icing a team of Montreal prospects, although how competive the team would be is another story.

Its not out of the realm of possibilities that an undrafted free agent or career minor leaguer or two could be brought in as well to bolster the roster

Habs will field their own team, although Gainey did offer the Oilers that they could send a couple of players, so we'll see what happens there. I heard that the Oilers wanted to find 2 AHL teams to put between 8-10 guys on each team. I heard they might be spliting Nashvilles team but they still need to find another team.

Also Gainey/Savard are letting the Bulldogs owner add 2 players of his own but he has to pay for them. They need some good vets and there are a couple guys that weren't qualified by the Pens that might help the Bulldogs if they can't catch on with any NHL team.

Should be interesting to see how things shake out in Hamilton, lots of turnover again.

Thanks, brc.

I did go to the spectator website and went through the articles listed by the sports writers and found nothing.

Again, thanks.

I find comments like this rather foolish: "Rejecting Edmonton's offer appears to be bad news for Bulldogs fans, since the Habs' farm system appears quite thin, while the Oilers have an abundance of good young prospects. And Montreal has shown no interest recently in spending any money on quality veterans to improve the Dogs."

Montreal has one of the best prospects depth in the league. See hockeysfuture.com - we're 5th best and the Oilers are 13th.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

It may or may not be good news for Bulldogs fans, but it's clearly good news for habs fans! Gainey has shown that he wants to build through the draft, and wants a strong development system to go along with it. This means more AHL minutes for Habs prospects, and in particular no sharing of goaltending duties with an Oiler prospect. Carey Price will get a good workout in Hamilton one day.

Hopefully, the 'dogs are good enough to make the playoffs, because that kind of experience would be valuable for the up 'n comers. Other than that, I'm not concerned about how many games they win, as long as they're serving their purpose - developing the kids!

I'm guessing Grabovsky, Urquhart, Chipchura and O'Byrne will all be regs in Hamilton next season.

I dont know who else is eligible to play in the AHL amongst our prospects. Wyman? Aubin? Stewart?

I'm guessing Grabovsky, Urquhart, Chipchura and O'Byrne will all be regs in Hamilton next season.

I dont know who else is eligible to play in the AHL amongst our prospects. Wyman? Aubin? Stewart?

Oh? I thought O'Byrne was going to spend another season at Cornell?

Oh? I thought O'Byrne was going to spend another season at Cornell?

I honestly have no clue, but I'd assume at this point in his development O'Byrne dont have much more left to learn playing in Cornell and should take the next step.

O'Byrne's turning 22 next July. Should be about time he makes it to the pros.

I honestly have no clue, but I'd assume at this point in his development O'Byrne dont have much more left to learn playing in Cornell and should take the next step.

O'Byrne's turning 22 next July. Should be about time he makes it to the pros.

Ah okay, I didn't really know, but I assumed he would want to finish his schooling first.

I agree with KoZed that O'Byrne has little to learn - hockey wise - from returning to Cornell, but I think it would be a stupid personal move from O'Byrne to leave College a year before graduation. I love the guy, and I can't wait to see him at the pro level, but he's not exactly Jack and Erik Johnson-like talent, and may not even make it in the NHL. Also, if he were to suffer from a career-ending injury, his life would be pretty much screwed.

So the best thing for him might be to finish school, and if he's lucky he might perhaps play with the Bulldogs at the end of next season, like some NCAA do during their senior year.

Grabovsky is expected to be signed. Don't know what's taking so long but I've read and heard talk from both sides saying it should be done this summer. But I would not bet on him being in Hamilton. It's way too early to say and I admit I am much higher on his upside then most. I really like his offensive skills, the way he plays and his speed would likely make him the fastest player on the team, if not at least the best acceleration. He can flat out fly for those that havent seen him and it takes a couple strides and he's gone. Can play C or LW, the problem of course is that he's on the small side. Not Corey Locke small but small. His lower body strength seems to be solid, which imo will really help him in the NHL. But we'll have to see what he does at camp, assuming he's signed.

Urquhart will no doubt fight for a spot, if he doesn't make it ouch! but I think he will make it. He did show more willingness to get involved and since the team is likely to be all Habs, there should be several roster spots open.

Chipchura imo will be big in Hamilton. He was playing the PP and PK, looked really good imo, I was shocked at how well he played in Hamilton in his short stint. Didn't look like a rookie who the week before was playing in the WHL. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do. The problem is that some fans place too much on stats and I don't expect Chipchura to be lights out on the scoresheet but the other qualities he brings are worth keeping an eye on him. I really liked the physical presence he had although I only saw a couple, maybe 3 of the 8 games he played in Hamilton and they were all webcasts so not the best quality video.

O'Byrne will likely be back at Cornell. I talked with some people who are closer to the Cornell organization and they had the impression he'd be back. Plus I just heard that Timmins said something like he'll be at the rookie camp but they expect him to play at Cornell. Frankly I would rather see him in Hamilton, especially since we are really short on defensemen next season. But he was given the A for next year and only Seniors can wear a letter at Cornell.

Wyman will be back at Dartmouth as far as I know. Next season could be a big year for him and Dartmouth is likely one of the early favorites (along with Cornell) to win the ECAC. Dartmouth is a high scoring team and they have a real nice trio of forwards in Jones (avs), Johnson (pitt) and Wyman, they all started at the same time, although Wyman was the only true freshman, all 3 should be a major part of Dartmouth's offense/team/success next year. I would guess that Wyman will stay at Dartmouth for his final 2 years but it's just a guess. I have read where he said he wants to stay all 4 years (with next season being his 3rd) but money can change some people's minds. I like what I've seen from him. He plays a power game and has bulked to with a really solid frame. Does most things well but needs to hit the back of the net more, hopefully that happens this year.

Aubin will be in Hamilton imo. He had an outstanding year, I got to see a good bit of him and while I was not very high on him (feel he's a bit too soft) I can not overlook how well he played. Good hands and vision, really want to see how he handles the pros. I would be shocked if he was back in the Q as an overager. If ice time is hard to come by I could see him in the ECHL since imo he needs to play against men since of younger guys in the Q. Jst my opinion and we'll see if it worked for Urquhart since both are late birthdays, both turned pro or will turn pro right around the time they turn 20, meaning they would be among the youngest on their team. Plus both a tall, lanky, offensively skilled centers that need to assert themeselves more and use their size better.

Stewart is tougher to figure. I don't think he'll be back with the Petes as an overager. I had him pegged for the ECHL but now that we dont have to share Hamilton, perhaps he can get a spot. He works hard and seems to be the kind of player that will do whatever the coach asks. Will take the body, drop the gloves, skates well with good speed. I question his offensive upside but he's a darkhorse prospect I like, something in the Ferland mold although likely not as good hands but better skater and certainly faster.

D'Agostini is another guy. I expect him to be in Hamilton, I don't expect him to return to Guelph as an overager, but if things don't work out perhaps the ECHL. At the early stages I'd say he'll be in Hamilton. Really like the way he plays. Almost like Higgins but not as smart or skilled. He works hard, can play in all situations, has really good speed/skating, moves the puck well. But he's got to get stronger, and imo this will really be the difference maker, if he can handle the bigger, stronger players in the AHL.

Plus there will be guys who are invited to the development and rookie camps, got to think they will focus on defense, maybe even a goalie for the ECHL since it could be Danis-Halak in Hamilton with Price and Lacasse going back to the CHL.

Thanks for the precisions Dann. I knew you'd clear it all up for us. ;)

I'd be somewhat dissapointed if O'Byrne stays in Cornell one more year. Him and Emelin are our two best D-men prospects (except Fischer) and both wouldn't be in the AHL next season. God knows the Habs needs to produce more d-men out of their farm club.

If O'Byrne stays in Cornell, I'd maybe expect the Habs to try to pull another Cote/Benoit and try to sign a free agent that has been overlooked by other teams.

Aubin will be in Hamilton imo. He had an outstanding year, I got to see a good bit of him and while I was not very high on him (feel he's a bit too soft) I can not overlook how well he played. Good hands and vision, really want to see how he handles the pros. I would be shocked if he was back in the Q as an overager. If ice time is hard to come by I could see him in the ECHL since imo he needs to play against men since of younger guys in the Q. Jst my opinion and we'll see if it worked for Urquhart since both are late birthdays, both turned pro or will turn pro right around the time they turn 20, meaning they would be among the youngest on their team. Plus both a tall, lanky, offensively skilled centers that need to assert themeselves more and use their size better.

Sounds like a taller version of Mike Ribeiro. :puke: