Gomez To Be Traded?

MCeh

Sharp words from Dad:

"'Time is not on our side. We've pretty much gone where we're going to go as far as negotiations', Carlos Gomez [father and agent] said yesterday. 'We're too far apart to even talk anymore. It is what it is. Scott knows he may end up being traded. It's disappointing, but he just wants to be treated like everyone else.'

[...] 'Scott is ready to leave if that is what is necessary,' Carlos Gomez said. 'I think he's going to do well in arbitration. That's the chance the Devils are taking. Only Lou knows what he can or can't do (financially).'

'It has been a marriage made in hell with Scott and the Devils (because of salary squabbles and strained relationships with some coaches), but he wants to stay with the Devils. We want this to work out.'"

The Devils reportedly offered Gomez $4 million for '06-'07 season.

Edited by MCeh

he will be traded regardless... the devils are already commited to about 42M and there's still gionta to be signed

4M is a good price. I don't think I would give much more for him. Devils should trade him and just hang onto Gionta.

More from Dad at NorthJersey.com:

"'I'm hoping that a miracle happens, but I don't foresee it,' Carlos Gomez said Monday. 'So, we'll just go through the process and I'm sure that they're hoping that we lose and everything will be all right.'

[...] 'We said from the get-go that if Scott goes to arbitration and gets his contract I guess you would call it 'involuntarily,' then Scott will definitely check out the market,' Carlos Gomez said.

Although Carlos Gomez stressed that he and Scott have always had a good relationship with Lamoriello, he said negotiating contracts with him has 'always been like pulling teeth.'"

I guess Lomoriello's negociating style matches his look. He dickers. :P

Edited by MCeh

If Marc Savard gets 5M I think Gomez is worth at least the same. Watch for him to get around 5M in arbitration.

Savard only got 5 million since he was a UFA where very few centres were available. Gomes is a RFA and they do not get nearly as much. I also think arbitration would get Gomez less than the 4 million he was offered. He is not that great.

Savard only got 5 million since he was a UFA where very few centres were available. Gomes is a RFA and they do not get nearly as much. I also think arbitration would get Gomez less than the 4 million he was offered. He is not that great.

only one season under 50 points and 84 points last year..not a bad deal for 4M

Id trade Ribs and some picks for him.... even if he wants 5 million... Lamorello really screwed the pooch last season picking up players like Mogilny, McGillis and Malakov who were hardly used.

:hlogo:

only one season under 50 points and 84 points last year..not a bad deal for 4M

Well it is all depends on how you want to put a spin on it. One could argue before last season Gomez averaged 13 goals a season. An arbitrator has to compare his salary with all players in the NHL that have similar offense, defense, leadership, ice-time, years played etc. If that makes Gomez a 5 million dollar player...then the league salary structure will be in serious trouble. That's more money than Koivu, Kovalev, Smyth, Brind Amour, Hejduk, Shanahan, Modano, Lehtinin, Datysuk, Demitra, Kariya, Satan, Heatley, Alfredsson...I could keep going.

Whom was the last Habs player goint to arbitration?

And what happened?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was Zednik

I don't think Zednik went. He signed at the last minute to avoid the process. Arbitration can leave players very bitter after they hear why the GM doesn't think they deserve a raise.

I don't think Zednik went. He signed at the last minute to avoid the process. Arbitration can leave players very bitter after they hear why the GM doesn't think they deserve a raise.

thats one of the reasons why luongo left the florida panthers. they were really hard on him