Bulldogs Sign Goalie Cédrick Desjardins

mathieu30

The Canadiens offered a AHL contract to Cédrick Desjardins.

Even if doors of many Québec universities were opening to him, Cédrick Desjardins opted for the one that leads to professionnal hockey. The goaltender that helped the Québec Remparts to win the Memorial Cup has joined the Canadiens big family by signing a two-year contract with the Hamilton Bulldogs, their AHL affiliate.

-Le Soleil, 24/07/2006

Bienvenue dans la famille

"Le Canadien ne lui a fait aucune promesse. Il y a quelques gardiens devant lui et il se veut une police d’assurance. Je viens à peine de jaser avec Trevor Timmins et il me vantait les qualités de leadership et de gagnant de Cédrick."

-Paul Corbeil, Desjardins' agent

Edited by mathieu30

Good move on both sides. Desjardins has what it takes to make the NHL and if no team was interested, Habs did good to give him a 2-year tryout with an AHL contract. Just adds an insurance policy. Price might be years away, Danis needs to step up to earn an NHL spot, Halak is a wildcard and Michaud's not progressing.

Though it all means there'll be a battle for goalie spots in Hamilton: Danis, Halak and Desjardins. One too many guys there.

WTF? :?-

Something is really fishy here. With Danis and Halak already slated for the 2 jobs in Hamiltion...there has got to be something up to fix the logjam of goaltenders. Unless Desjardins plays in the ECHL. And then you have Lacasse and HeinoLindberg...and Price next year.

I believe Michaud was let go to free agency earlier this summer.

One of Aebisher, Danis or Halak have or will be traded, IMO

Edited by Mr. Nasty

I agree Desjardins wil probably play some backup to Danis (he's more than capable) and/or spend time in the ECHL (so that he gets the most ice time possible); depending on his performance.

This is a perfect setup move for the future. End of next year we dish Aebi in a trade and bring up Danis as backup to Huet. Desjardins and Price will be our two in the AHL; mind you Halak could impress and be in the mix as well.

I like this move; to me it speaks of a Gainey type move, making a certain trade in the future possible; Oh ya there is one more thought, Desjardins is an excellant backstop! He managed to stand on his head last year, on more than one occation (mem cup.). If you have a chance to add a good player at any point to increase depth; I'm all for it.

I'd love to read any comments from someone from Quebec who actually saw Desjardins play with the Remparts.

Edited by Chips

Looks like they're padding their possibilities.

Desjardins isn't the best goaltending candidate around but he'll help with the task of finding a (or some) good goaltender(s).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

This is a perfect setup move for the future. End of next year we dish Abei in a trade and bring up Danis as backup to Huet. Desjardins and Price will be or two in the AHL; mind you Halak could impress and be in the mix as well.

I think Aebi is a UFA at the end of the year...why wait til then. If Huet struggles Danis and Halak could surprise a lot of people...or could not. Halak, IMO, is a great golatender.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

I'd love to read any comments from someone from Quebec who actually saw Desjardins play with the Remparts.

I'll start watching some video from the Q right now and come back with a "scouting report" in a couple of hours.

It's a 2-way contract between the AHL and the ECHL. He's not property of the Montreal Canadiens at this point, although they'll be able to evaluate him closely, and perhaps tend him a new contract at some point. Unless Halak or Danis are injured, DesJardins will play in Cincinanti.

I think this is a sign that one of our goalies is going to move, as I'm sure someone has mentioned above. He sounds like a solid goaltender though, so maybe there will be some healthy competition going into the Dogs' training camp.

While Desjardins isn't particularly big, he covers a lot of net. He's listed at 6'0" and 190lbs but looks a lot bigger. Thanks to a huge chest protector and matching pants he looks more like a 6'4" 220lbs goaltender.

Desjardins is a butterfly goalie with a fine technique but he tends to go down too early. His skating is quite fluid but I'm not impressed with his post-to-post movement. He has a tendancy to play too deep in his crease. When using the T-push he opens up a huge 5-hole. When there's traffic in front of the net, his movement sometimes looks off balance. Tends to overdo his butterfly slide.

Cedricks' a very agile and flexible goalie with a strong glove hand & in his basic standing position he keeps that catch glove realy high. Shoulder high, similar to Mathieu Garon, maybe even higher.

He isn't afraid to clear the front of the net and finds the puck in traffic.

He's a solid puckhandler.

I'm looking forward at how he will develop working with Roland Melanson.

Barring a miracle, Desjardins will start the season in the ECHL. I don't see him as a threat for a Danis/Halak-tandem, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Edited by mathieu30

It's a 2-way contract between the AHL and the ECHL. He's not property of the Montreal Canadiens at this point, although they'll be able to evaluate him closely, and perhaps tend him a new contract at some point. Unless Halak or Danis are injured, DesJardins will play in Cincinanti.

Makes more sense.

Desjardins goes to the Memorial Cup two straight years, then no NHL team gives him a call. His agent gets Gainey on the phone, asks him if he can do something, and Gainey says he could use a goalie in to replace Michaud/Halak in the ECHL.

As for Danis and Halak in Hamilton... I wouldnt be surprised if Halak steals the #1 job at one point during the season. I'm that high on him. The kid's krazy kool.

I sort of don't understand how he wouldn't be 'property' of the Canadiens. :?-

I sort of don't understand how he wouldn't be 'property' of the Canadiens. :?-

Because he wasn't signed to an NHL contract, so he's a Free Agent to sign with any NHL club. We just own his AHL rights, so to play in the AHL he has to play with Hamilton or be loaned from Hamilton.

We did this with Cote, Benoit, Lemieux, all were signed to AHL contracts before getting NHL contracts.

OK, but does that mean he could sign with florida and play with them this season if by some crazy chance the Eagle can't play the season.? (( i'm sure that wouldn't happen. )

but, I'm sure the habs have an exclusive contract clause that does not permit him to play any place but with their farm teams. So he would need to get permission before signing with a NHL contract during his seasons with the Dogs.

help me out here I"m a bit confused with this...

• 4 weeks later...
WTF? :?-

Something is really fishy here. With Danis and Halak already slated for the 2 jobs in Hamiltion...there has got to be something up to fix the logjam of goaltenders. Unless Desjardins plays in the ECHL. And then you have Lacasse and HeinoLindberg...and Price next year.

I believe Michaud was let go to free agency earlier this summer.

One of Aebisher, Danis or Halak have or will be traded, IMO

Yup, Michaud was let go.

I dont expect Heino-Lingberg to go over the atlantic until at least he is a regular backup in Färjestad. And there would be no reason for him to leave sweden until he has at least proven to be a no.1 goalie since I dont think we would have much need for him in Montreal anyway.

OK, but does that mean he could sign with florida and play with them this season if by some crazy chance the Eagle can't play the season.? (( i'm sure that wouldn't happen. )

Previously, this same thing happened with the Habs farm team. Back in the 1999-2000 season, the Habs signed a goalie by the name of Dan Murphy to an AHL contract. He played well that season [33 games, 2.37 GAA, 3 SO, .924 SvPctg], and easily outplayed Mathieu Garon, who appeared in over 50 games that season, his first as a pro. But the Habs for some reason did not sign Murphy to an NHL contract before the end of the season. Near the end of that season, the Philadelphia Flyers came along and offered him an NHL contract, albeit a 2-way one, and he ended up playing the last 5 games of that season for the Phantoms. A similar thing happened with the Habs for Andy Delmore. They signed Delmore, an undrafted junior, to an ATO [amateur try out] contract in the 1996-97 season after he finished his last game in the OHL. He played for the Habs farm team for only 4 games. They were trying to sign him to an AHL contract but the Flyers came along and offered him a 2-way, NHL contract. So, losing a prospect this way to another team is relatively rare, but it does happen.

Now, with a radically different CBA, I think this type of approach is a good one for evaluating "late bloomer" types of players. It gives the pro team no additional weight on their 50 man roster, nor their team's cap, but allows them additional time to fully evaluate a player to see if they may have what it takes to make it to the pro level.