Bouillon Out 4 Months

les_glorieux

DAMNIT. Will Streit be ready?

PAT HICKEY, The Gazette

Published: Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Francis Bouillon's return to the Canadiens lineup will come later rather than sooner.

After the veteran defenceman underwent surgery last week in Colorado, the team said he would be ready to play after a

12-week rehabilitation period.

But Bouillon said yesterday that his doctors have told him he will be off skates for 12 weeks.

"I'm hoping that I'll be able to resume skating before 12 weeks, but I won't rush it if the doctors tell me not to," said Bouillon, who was on crutches as he met the media in the Canadiens dressing room.

Richard Steadman, a prominent orthopedic surgeon based in Vail, Col., performed an arthroscopic procedure last Wednesday to remove scar tissue in Bouillon's left knee.

The surgery raised questions about why the operation wasn't done earlier in the summer and whether the Canadiens were aware of the injury before they signed him to a three-year contract worth $1.875 million U.S. a year.

"The Canadiens checked my knee out before they gave me the contract," Bouillon said.

"I've had a problem because of the scar tissue for three or four years, but the knee is structurally sound. There's no ligament or cartilage damage.

"I've been playing with the pain for years, and at the beginning of the summer, the doctors recommended that I undergo intensive physiotherapy," Bouillon said. "But when I started skating, the pain was worse."

Bouillon said he wasn't sure why the surgery was done in Colorado, but Steadman's international reputation - his patients have included soccer stars Ronaldo, Michael Owen, Roy Keane and Johnny Heitinga and he is also the doctor for the U.S. Alpine ski team - and the fact that he replaced both of team owner George Gillett's knees last winter factored into the decision.

Bouillon said he was able to play with the pain, but that took extra care to stretch and warm up before playing.

"It might have been better if I had the surgery earlier this summer, but now I'm going to work to get back as soon as possible," he said. "This is better than getting injured during the season."

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

uuuh... Streit is a right-side D. He can't replace Bouillon on the left side.

I think this is J-P Côté's big chance to prove he can play regularly in the NHL. He's all the Habs have as depth on the left. If not, Gainey will have to make a move.

BTW, isnt 12 weeks = 3 months?

uuuh... Streit is a right-side D. He can't replace Bouillon on the left side.

I think this is J-P Côté's big chance to prove he can play regularly in the NHL. He's all the Habs have as depth on the left. If not, Gainey will have to make a move.

BTW, isnt 12 weeks = 3 months?

Left side, right side, not a big deal. Streit is a lefty, so he should be inclined to the left side anyways.

12 weeks does mean 3 months, but that's just before he can start skating again. Give him another couple weeks to start skating and another couple weeks down in Hamilton on rehab and you're to 4 months.

I think Gainey might be forced to make a minor D move. Nothing against Cote. But, in the depth chart who replaces Cote? If the D takes more injuries I'll be worried. Gainey is not going to want to end up in a pickle mid season due to lack of D. That's why I see Gainey shoring up the D with a Todd Simpson type insurance acquistion. I'm not advocating this but immediately Cory Cross comes to mind since he's in no mans land right now. Tanabe? Gainey might acquire a D that won't mind the rent a player tag. After all, he's getting paid.

This will possibly allow for a D to be moved in the future. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. It doesn't matter how much I spend on any new crystal ball. I can't foresee Gainey's decisions ever :P

:hlogo: HAIL GAINEY

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Left side, right side, not a big deal. Streit is a lefty, so he should be inclined to the left side anyways.

Its a bigger deal than you seem to think. The game is so fast, most of the moves on D are things that have been practiced over and over again to become reflexes. Being switched sides can be like having to learn those reflexes all over again. Can make the best D turn into Robert Dirk.

I'm not saying no D can switch sides, just that its not a given that any D will play any side.

Besides, last season when Markov (left-side D) when down in January, its Côté that got dressed. Streit and Komisarek were alterning in and out of the lineup.

DAMNIT. Will Streit be ready?

PAT HICKEY, The Gazette

Published: Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Francis Bouillon's return to the Canadiens lineup will come later rather than sooner.

After the veteran defenceman underwent surgery last week in Colorado, the team said he would be ready to play after a

12-week rehabilitation period.

But Bouillon said yesterday that his doctors have told him he will be off skates for 12 weeks.

"I'm hoping that I'll be able to resume skating before 12 weeks, but I won't rush it if the doctors tell me not to," said Bouillon, who was on crutches as he met the media in the Canadiens dressing room.

Richard Steadman, a prominent orthopedic surgeon based in Vail, Col., performed an arthroscopic procedure last Wednesday to remove scar tissue in Bouillon's left knee.

The surgery raised questions about why the operation wasn't done earlier in the summer and whether the Canadiens were aware of the injury before they signed him to a three-year contract worth $1.875 million U.S. a year.

"The Canadiens checked my knee out before they gave me the contract," Bouillon said.

"I've had a problem because of the scar tissue for three or four years, but the knee is structurally sound. There's no ligament or cartilage damage.

"I've been playing with the pain for years, and at the beginning of the summer, the doctors recommended that I undergo intensive physiotherapy," Bouillon said. "But when I started skating, the pain was worse."

Bouillon said he wasn't sure why the surgery was done in Colorado, but Steadman's international reputation - his patients have included soccer stars Ronaldo, Michael Owen, Roy Keane and Johnny Heitinga and he is also the doctor for the U.S. Alpine ski team - and the fact that he replaced both of team owner George Gillett's knees last winter factored into the decision.

Bouillon said he was able to play with the pain, but that took extra care to stretch and warm up before playing.

"It might have been better if I had the surgery earlier this summer, but now I'm going to work to get back as soon as possible," he said. "This is better than getting injured during the season."

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

Oh yay................. :wacko::wacko:

:king: :hlogo: :king: