Rds Is Now Talking About Dumont.

C-Love

If we get rid of Bonk, who fills his appointed role as shut down checking centreman? Why make ourselves still weaker at C (our weakest position) in order to sign yet another offensive winger? (Samsonov, Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins...not to mention young guys like Perezhogin and Kostitin).

That conveniently leaves out the fact that, for all intents and purposes, the Habs are paying about 2.4M$ for what is basically a 4th line C. 2.4M$ for 21 pts in 61 games, for a guy that might do his job, but is far from being a vital part of the team. A 4th line C that's not even a lock or a necessity for the PK. Begin, Higgins, Plekanec, Koivu, Johnson can all do the job.

Begin can play C. Higgins can play C. Johnson can play C. Lapierre is a C. Chipchura is a C. The Habs have other options beside Bonk and his bloated salary.

That's alot of money for a utility player. If, for that kind of money, you can get a forward who is younger, faster, have more offensive upside, brings more energy and has 1st line potential, than its an obviously good trade off.

No WAY to I go deep into the season with a Dumont or Ryder on the third line - all that will do is drive down their value by lowering their offensive stats, as well as create possible friction within the team among players who legitimately feel that they belong on the scoring lines.

You think having a 2.4M$ 4th liner doesn't create the same kind of frictions sometimes? Guys compare salaries, ice-time, stats. You think a guy like Higgins or Plekanec won't look at Bonk and say: I can do all he does and get better offensive stats. I deserve more money!

It's a good problem to have. But at times like this, I thank God Gainey is in charge, and not someone who listens to the fans or (even worse) the Montreal hockey media. :hockey:

I think you're mistaking "listening" with "obeying". Of course Gainey listens to the medias. The guys on the Habs beat have known him for almost 30 years. They're men in the hockey business. What do you think they talk about when they're at golf tournaments, sitting together in the stands during practices or together on the plane during road trips? Hockey. They're not two heterogeneous worlds.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard on the radio (CHOM) this morning on the way to work that the Habs are not making on offer to JP Dumont. CHOM states the source of the information as Dumont's agent and said that Dumont expressed disappointment that Montreal was not going to put an offer on the table for him.

Seems like this rumor is now officially canned.

Edited by mineral

I heard on the radio (CHOM) this morning on the way to work that the Habs are not making on offer to JP Dumont. CHOM states the source of the information as Dumont's agent and said that Dumont expressed disappointment that Montreal was not going to put an offer on the table for him.

Seems like this rumor is now officially canned.

Dumont s'éloigne de Montréal

«C'est sûr que je suis déçu d'être sans nouvelles du Canadien, mais en même temps, je comprends la situation. Le Canadien est dans une position délicate, il n'a presque plus de place sous son plafond salarial. Il n'a pas de marge de manoeuvre. J'ai toujours dit que j'étais intéressé à venir jouer à Montréal, mais il faut regarder du côté des équipes qui m'ont fait des offres.»

-Jean-Pierre Dumont

Oh well, this is one of those acquistions that I would have been happy with. It's also one I can live without.

Doesn't really make all that much differnece. Gainey probably has his crosshairs on a potential deal that will be far better than this move. And even Gainey doesn't know who that is because this will be a trade deadline deal, if any IMO

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

It's nice to know that some first time UFA at the zenith of their careers can have MTL in mind.....it certainly was the case with Dumont and I like to think that it similarly was the case for Samsonov.

Upon Samsonov and Johnson acquisitions BG stated that he was done for the summer and I thought his

words where being more than relevant with the over-all situation......so althought I was not surprised that

the books where being re-open for a special circumstance that I feel Dumont was,...neither I am surprised

that in the end.....that it didn't materialised.

BG can afford being conservative a this point because his team makes alot of sens hockey wise....

our team remain a nicely improved one while Perezhogin will have enough ice time and responsability to

demonstrate clearly his worth to our club.

Hopefully he will be very good and hopefully some of our rookys in the minors will make important strides

as well this coming season......we have a fine team this year but we will be loosing players next year to the UFA market and quite a few of our youngs will be expected to help us as assets or as players.

Oh well, this is one of those acquistions that I would have been happy with. It's also one I can live without.

Ditto.

Its been a long time since not acquiring a player as talented as Dumont doesn't really make a difference. Show how much talented AS & BG have managed to stock up on in recent years.

Its been a long time since not acquiring a player as talented as Dumont doesn't really make a difference. Show how much talented AS & BG have managed to stock up on in recent years.

I just finished watching a game from a couple of years ago, Boston @ Montréal 11/02/2003:

Petrov - Koivu - Zednik

Bulis - Gilmour - Czerkawski

Dackell - Juneau - Sundstrom

Kilger - Ribeiro - McKay

Markov - Rivet

Bouillon - Quintal

Dykhuis - Traverse

I feel very good about where this team is going.