NHL 2night...Souray should be East starter

huzer

The starters are those who were voted in by the fans... and as far as I know even in Montreal they are only pushing us to vote for Koivu, Zednik, and Theo... the others aren't even on the ballot.

I doubt Souray will get more votes that the big name defensemen... fan voting has nothing to do with merit and more to do with name recognition.

But once the starters are voted in, then the coaches choose who else is invited... and that's where Souray gets in.

He won't start, but he'll be there.

Here's a look at the voting so far in the Eastern Conference (actually the numbers are from dec 23rd):

Defensemen

Player NHL Club Votes

Scott Stevens New Jersey 80,373

Scott Niedermayer New Jersey 71,776

Brian Leetch NY Rangers 46,923

Sergei Gonchar Washington 39,272

Eric Desjardins Philadelphia 37,878

Zdeno Chara Ottawa 37,761

Bryan McCabe Toronto 33,724

Wade Redden Ottawa 33,580

Tomas Kaberle Toronto 29,562

Dan Boyle Tampa Bay 27,126

Souray isn't even in the top 20, as I said he wasn't even a choice on the ballot so forget about him being voted in as a starter.

Goaltenders

Player NHL Club Votes

Martin Brodeur New Jersey 96,946

Ed Belfour Toronto 57,077

Nikolai Khabibulin Tampa Bay 51,922

Jose Theodore Montreal 30766

Patrick Lalime Ottawa 25,006

Roberto Luongo Florida 17,906

Mike Dunham NY Rangers 17,782

Olaf Kolzig Washington 11,339

If Theo is going to make it he's going to have to be a coach's selection... because he doesn't have the votes.

As we can see, with Martin St-Louis 2nd in winger voting it shows Tampa is a big voting city... the also have Khabibulin, Lecavalier, even Boyle in the top 10 or so of every category.

In Montreal we just don't care enough about the All-Star game to vote 200 times each to get our guys in.

Centers

Player NHL Club Votes

Joe Thornton Boston 41,748

Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh 33,638

Jeremy Roenick Philadelphia 33,133

Joe Nieuwendyk Toronto 29,242

Mats Sundin Toronto 26,035

Vincent Lecavalier Tampa Bay 20,413

Ron Francis Carolina 17,151

Chris Drury Buffalo 15,929

Saku Koivu Montreal 13,634

Robert Lang Washington 13,139

Radek Bonk Ottawa 12,559

Eric Lindros NY Rangers 12,413

Wings

Player NHL Club Votes

Ilya Kovalchuk Atlanta 93,506

Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay 48,234

Marian Hossa Ottawa 47,550

Tony Amonte Philadelphia 43,780

Owen Nolan Toronto 40,533

Jamie Langenbrunner New Jersey 38,669

Jaromir Jagr Washington 35,550

Alexander Mogilny Toronto 33,652

Daniel Alfredsson Ottawa 32,038

Patrik Elias New Jersey 24,421

Dany Heatley Atlanta 23,280

Jeff O'Neill Carolina 22,982

Alexei Kovalev NY Rangers 21,798

Glen Murray Boston 20,422

Sergei Samsonov Boston 19,551

Miroslav Satan Buffalo 19,036

Jeff Friesen New Jersey 17,510

Richard Zednik Montreal 16,231

Peter Bondra Washington 15,743

Martin Havlat Ottawa 9,739

*Mariusz Czerkawski NY Islanders 5,663

souray might not be officially named a starter, but look at what happened last year in the NBA allstar game - Yao Ming beat out Shaq for western conference starter (baiscally because the NBA had released the ballot on their Chinese language site) and start he did. For about 20 seconds, after which the west coach subbed in Shaq who played most of the game. Was Yao the starter? not really.

It is not unthinkable that while Souray won't stand on the ice for the anthems, he will be there for the better part of the game. Personally, I think that turn of events is much cooler than Souray getting voted in. It's basically the coach's way of saying "All you guys that voted for a 78 year old defenseman don't know what you are talking about. Give me the sniper!"

:hlogo:

Originally posted by Habs77

Souray isn't even in the top 20, as I said he wasn't even a choice on the ballot so forget about him being voted in as a starter.

I never said I thought he would be a starter...I was just surprised that the usually "blind to Canada" ESPN announcers were acknowledging Souray, and actually thought that, in their minds, he should be an East starter. I still remember '93 when the dummies were all excited about the potential of a NYI/LA finals match up (go USA go) when the rest of the breathing world was drooling over a Leafs/Habs final.

Originally posted by huzer
Originally posted by Habs77

I never said I thought he would be a starter...I was just surprised that the usually "blind to Canada" ESPN announcers were acknowledging Souray, and actually thought that, in their minds, he should be an East starter. I still remember '93 when the dummies were all excited about the potential of a NYI/LA finals match up (go USA go) when the rest of the breathing world was drooling over a Leafs/Habs final.

I figured youd didn't mean that, still wanted ti point out the situation tough... he has to be a coach's pick no question.

How has it been since a player (non-goalie) of ours actually DESERVED to be in the all-star game. It's been a while.

The habs should have at least 2 players playing in the big game.. IMO Theo and Souray will definitely be there.

Also Koivu has a good chance, he has elevated his game big time lately and is playing some real good hockey. If he can keep it up i think he;ll be there as well.

Also Ryder and Komi will probably be playing in the youngstars game so that makes 5 habs involved in the All Star weekend.

Anyone think Souray can win the hardest shot? He'll definitely be a shooter.....I'd say he can top 100mph!!

:ghg:

The only way Koivu makes the team is as a commish-pick , since the eastern centres are too strong. I think Koivu has a chance to be the commish-pick , unless they choose an "old" (close to retiring) player like they usually do (Messier) ...

Souray should be a lock. Theodore has a good chance .... It'll be Brodeur as the starter, then for the next 2 spots its between Theodore/Khabibulin/Belfour/Lalime/Belfour/Luongo/Weekes

I dont think Belfour and Lalime will go , because they arent putting up better numbers then Theodore/Luongo/Weeks/Khabby , and they are on teams who will be sending other players to the game.

About Sourays shot - He's one player who the graphite stick is doing wonders for! I bet he can clock a 90-100mph shot.